News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Having to die one day...

Started by SoldierofFortune, August 13, 2018, 04:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 28, 2018, 04:51:24 PM
The question remains: "Is it real?"  Even if you are referring to your alternate reality, the question remains.  The reason you want to confuse the issue is because you can't answer the question.

Nihilist?  They can't even formulate a question, let alone answer one.

I can give you an answer, but as a skeptic, you only accept your own nostrums.

Fact - each person lives in their own reality, that they participated in generating.  Forget Plato.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2018, 08:53:33 PM
I can give you an answer,
But you don't and won't.

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2018, 08:53:33 PM
Fact - each person lives in their own reality,
That's actually an alternate "fact."  You may claim to live in a different reality, and I'm tempted to agree, but that would be patronizing.

Hakurei Reimu

Busses and trucks and weapons of mass destruction must be transcendent beings, because no matter what reality you "live" in, they'll getcha.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Blackleaf

I might like to have an extended life, but not an everlasting life. That would be torture, no matter what kind of existence it is. Also, I don't trust whatever God allegedly made this world to have done any better on the second try. That said, the idea of reincarnation seems okay to me. Having no memory of a previous life would take away the drawbacks of an eternal existence.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on August 28, 2018, 11:58:52 PM
Busses and trucks and weapons of mass destruction must be transcendent beings, because no matter what reality you "live" in, they'll getcha.

My experience is the only truth, all other human experience is delusion ;-)  Every human is solipsist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 29, 2018, 12:42:37 AM
I might like to have an extended life, but not an everlasting life. That would be torture, no matter what kind of existence it is. Also, I don't trust whatever God allegedly made this world to have done any better on the second try. That said, the idea of reincarnation seems okay to me. Having no memory of a previous life would take away the drawbacks of an eternal existence.

Pythagoras and others claimed to remember previous lives.  Knowing that one had sucked at all of them, would really suck!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

the idea of reincarnation seems okay to me. Having no memory of a previous life would take away the drawbacks of an eternal existence.
Yes, it would be like refurbishing virgins after you use them.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 29, 2018, 06:26:45 AM
Yes, it would be like refurbishing virgins after you use them.

No, hippies and SJWs want them in this life ... sex without STD.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on August 29, 2018, 06:58:22 AM
No, hippies and SJWs want the in this life ... sex without STD.
???
"want the in this life."
?

trdsf

If there were some transcendent part of consciousness that can exist independently between lives, reincarnation makes sense at the very least on the basis of wanting to recycle as much as possible and not clutter up the spaces between lives.  :)

I think the primary problem with the idea of reincarnation without the possibility of remembering past existences is that it's completely indistinguishable from no reincarnation whatsoever, but only serial independent lives with no transcendent part of consciousness involved.  Occam's razor pushes me inevitably toward that latter conclusion.

I actually have done past life regressions, back when I was a practicing Wiccan.  What lent credence to the "lives" I "remembered" was that none of them were anyone of any importance â€" I hadn't been Alexander the Great or Cleopatra or Charlemagne or anyone recorded in any history, or even something more exotic like a sentient from some other world, some other galaxy.  Just simple, mundane lives of their appropriate periods.  I don't doubt that I knew, even without consciously telling myself, I would reject such a vainglorious "past" as being ridiculous, so when I created past lives for myself, I unconsciously but deliberately created ones I was more likely to believe.

Of course, coming up with such things is part of my 'job' as a writer, and today I use a similar technique, under more conscious control, to create and flesh out the characters that I write about.

So that's all it was, storytelling to myself.  That said, there are times I wish I could believe in an afterlife, or even an interlife.  Personal immortality is tempting, after all.  But I wouldn't want serial incarnation without both being able to remember past lives, and being able to verify the memories independently.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on August 29, 2018, 11:00:50 AM
I think the primary problem with the idea of reincarnation without the possibility of remembering past existences is that it's completely indistinguishable from no reincarnation whatsoever
Even skeptics toy with such ideas from time to time.  I too have considered the possibility that I had a past life.  I can't remember one of course, not even a mysterious memory fragment that ever came to mind.  But it's fun wondering.  But one thing I can say about reincarnation with an high degree of confidence is that, if I had a previous life, I know absolutely nothing of it, and judging by the stupid things I've done in this life, there is apparently zero carryover of hard learned wisdom from any earlier life.

Baruch

I have had vivid dreams of other lives, some with historical content.  But I don't vouch for their objectivity.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 28, 2018, 04:51:24 PM
The question remains: "Is it real?"  Even if you are referring to your alternate reality, the question remains.  The reason you want to confuse the issue is because you can't answer the question.

What question ... what is reality?  I know, but can't tell you ... reality is conveyed in a lifetime as a human being, it isn't conveyed in monkey words.  You can't tell me either, because you are just as much a dumb (silent) monkey as I am.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on August 29, 2018, 01:09:07 PM
What question ... what is reality?  I know, but can't tell you ... reality is conveyed in a lifetime as a human being, it isn't conveyed in monkey words.  You can't tell me either, because you are just as much a dumb (silent) monkey as I am.
It's not about reality.  We know what reality is.  It's about gods.  Is it real is the fundamental question about religions.  Does the described god behind all the ritual, celebration, and prayer exist?  The issue was posed here several posts ago:
Hydra:  If one [a god] existed, it would be downright maddening.  Even the simplest statement gets interpreted every which way, translated and retranslated, and used to prop up whatever crazy ideas are brewing in the faithful's heads.  It would certainly put me off people, that's for sure.  Maybe deists have it right, just not for the reasons they think.
SGOS: Deism might be the least offensive religion, but it still fails the fundamental question behind all the rest:  "Is it real?"

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 29, 2018, 01:46:30 PM
It's not about reality.  We know what reality is.  It's about gods.  Is it real is the fundamental question about religions.  Does the described god behind all the ritual, celebration, and prayer exist?  The issue was posed here several posts ago:

Haha ... each person is a demi-god.  Like Augustus Caesar was.  Just without the usual Pretorian Guards.  Or would you care to deny this?  Explain that to the Pretorians assigned to your execution.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.