News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Having to die one day...

Started by SoldierofFortune, August 13, 2018, 04:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

I want to die laughing. What a way to go!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 27, 2018, 03:01:00 PM
I want to die laughing. What a way to go!

Did you ever see 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'?  If not, just a hint; don't be a weasel.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

I did see it, but it was years ago, so I barely remember it. All that weed I've smoked has fogged my memory.
God Not Found

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 27, 2018, 03:35:14 PM
I did see it, but it was years ago, so I barely remember it. All that weed I've smoked has fogged my memory.

The movie was a bit weedy too.  But the henchmen were cartoon character weasels and they could lierally die, by laughing. 

Well, check it out again sometime.

Unbeliever

If I get a chance, I will. I do recall that it was a pretty funny movie, and I enjoyed it. I check it out on youtube.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 27, 2018, 03:43:12 PM
If I get a chance, I will. I de recall that it was a pretty funny movie, and I enjoyed it. I check it out on youtube.

Handcuffs.  Dip...

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 27, 2018, 03:43:12 PM
If I get a chance, I will. I de recall that it was a pretty funny movie, and I enjoyed it. I check it out on youtube.

Don't be a pig head!  This scene wasn't deleted in the theatrical version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz_TEJ0BFEI
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on August 18, 2018, 07:48:18 AM
I wonder if it bothers God that the only people who worship him are delusional.
If one existed, it would be downright maddening.  Even the simplest statement gets interpreted every which way, translated and retranslated, and used to prop up whatever crazy ideas are brewing in the faithful's heads.  It would certainly put me off people, that's for sure.  Maybe deists have it right, just not for the reasons they think.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 27, 2018, 11:27:11 PM
If one existed, it would be downright maddening.  Even the simplest statement gets interpreted every which way, translated and retranslated, and used to prop up whatever crazy ideas are brewing in the faithful's heads.  It would certainly put me off people, that's for sure.  Maybe deists have it right, just not for the reasons they think.
Deism might be the least offensive religion, but it still fails the fundamental question behind all the rest:  "Is it real?"

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 27, 2018, 11:27:11 PM
First Cause---has to be a First Cause; there just HAS to be!!  Why?  Cause.  There just has to be!!!  So, let's make the First Cause magic--easier to believe in; don't have to think and wonder any more, for there is a magical First Cause.  I know, I'll call it G-D!!  Yeah!    G-D did it!  That's it; all the boxes are checked.  First Cause; G-D!!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 28, 2018, 08:50:16 AM
First Cause---has to be a First Cause; there just HAS to be!!  Why?  Cause.  There just has to be!!!  So, let's make the First Cause magic--easier to believe in; don't have to think and wonder any more, for there is a magical First Cause.  I know, I'll call it G-D!!  Yeah!    G-D did it!  That's it; all the boxes are checked.  First Cause; G-D!!!!
Religion has been supplying answers and explanations to the unknown since the first god was invented, and it's been proven wrong enough times that you would think religion would come to realize that its lack of methodology fails.  But it can't stop doing it.  This is what psychologists identify as obsessive-compulsive disorder.  It's hard to cure, especially when it's a collective disorder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_unconscious
Jung considered the collective unconscious to underpin and surround the unconscious mind, distinguishing it from the personal unconscious of Freudian psychoanalysis. He argued that the collective unconscious had profound influence on the lives of individuals, who lived out its symbols and clothed them in meaning through their experiences. The psychotherapeutic practice of analytical psychology revolves around examining the patient's relationship to the collective unconscious.

Psychiatrist and Jungian analyst Lionel Corbett argues that the contemporary terms "autonomous psyche" or "objective psyche" are more commonly used today in the practice of depth psychology rather than the traditional term of the "collective unconscious."[1]

Critics of the collective unconscious concept have called it unscientific and fatalistic, or otherwise very difficult to test scientifically (due to the mythical aspect of the collective unconscious).[2] Proponents suggest that it is borne out by findings of psychology, neuroscience, and anthropology.

Whether or not the existence of the collective unconscious is real, it is not the issue, however.  I think the collective unconscious probably does exist to the extent that it accounts for the mass hysteria we call religion.  Perhaps Jung claimed that it was more than that.  But strip away all the Jungian and Freudian psycho-babble, and what it amounts to the common knowledge of old wives tales, the blind leading the blind, and simple peer pressure.  And most importantly, the collective unconscious is no more credible or rational than the individual unconscious, which is where many of our disorders reside.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 28, 2018, 08:50:16 AM

If cause/effect is the phlogiston of philosophy, given that correlation does not imply causation, and given the statistical nature of quantum reality anyway, there basically is just a vast set of coincidences that we believe are somehow related to each other.

Mass hysteria doesn't just define religion, it defines culture and civilization.  If we got mentally well, our language, culture and artifacts would lose meaning.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 28, 2018, 07:50:34 AM
Deism might be the least offensive religion, but it still fails the fundamental question behind all the rest:  "Is it real?"

Reality is in the eye of the beholder.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2018, 04:00:38 PM
Reality is in the eye of the beholder.
The question remains: "Is it real?"  Even if you are referring to your alternate reality, the question remains.  The reason you want to confuse the issue is because you can't answer the question.