News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Having to die one day...

Started by SoldierofFortune, August 13, 2018, 04:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

QuoteYou perhaps know the story about the professor who said that God does not exist, because we can not prove God with the use of our senses.
And a student who asked the professor if one can detect the professors' mind?
The conclusion made by the student was that the Professor was mindless!

I do, but I feel it completely misses the point of what the mind really is; it is viewing the mind as "the soul" (a consistent entity) rather than a living, breathing and fluid collection of simultaneous sensations.

Of course it is impossible to detect "the mind" in this parable, but only because it uses an inaccurate definition of what the mind is. If we use the concept of "the soul", the consistent entity, then it is indeed impossible to detect it. However if we view the concept of "the mind", the soul, as a collection of sensations then we can both scientifically confirm that "the mind" exists (brain scans, heart rate, breathing pattern, etc. to track and graph how sensations are being experienced) but we can also test it from a philosophical view (if you cause them distress, will they be sad? If you make them happy, will they laugh? Will the smell of their parent's cooking bring them happiness? Will the picture of an ex-lover cause a variety of reactions?) and determine that it does, in fact, exist.

QuoteHow much of our lives are preprogrammed to journey through the world?

The entirety of them. To be born is to be given the task of existing in the world until you don't.

QuoteCan Evolution really have shaped our Brains, to create a thing called Language that is intelligent, guided, and superior to the Brain itself?

I would say yes that evolution can design brains because the universe itself, in all it's complexity, is simply designed but not by the divine but instead by mathematical and physical laws. All that we experience is designed by what can be experienced.

As for "why", because it simply did. If they universe decided, "why not", if the laws that govern it's operation didn't work, then we wouldn't be here to ask such a question.

QuoteIf Yes, then why did the Great apes not develop a language?

This goes back to my universe point... because they didn't.

Why didn't you tell that girl you loved her? Why didn't that car brake before they hit him? Why didn't you hug your family more often? Because you or it didn't. There may be more complicated reasons than that, analytical reasons like, "Well, this genome didn't trigger, so this one didn't, which caused..." but at the end of the day all that really matters is that it didn't.

QuoteBecause they do not have a Mind.

If you are going to make a statement on such a complex concept it has to have more complex justification than just stating it is true and leaving it at that.

How do you know that is the reason? How do you know your definition of mind is the most "true" concept? How do you know that it was not a random sequence of events that happened in one random apes brain and then was spread through his offspring and was much more likely to die out rather than be passed on through our ancestors?

Your claim requires a new variable to be added into an equation that we already know works. A, B, C, D., this happens, then that, then that. By taking the mind out of that equation and adding in a new concept (the soul), you then are trying to make an alphabet progression of A, B, C, Y, D. It no longer works within the system, and your system has to bear the burden of proving it's legitimacy rather than just stating that it is.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 15, 2018, 01:12:00 PM
If we are indeed animals, then animals have it within them to create art, culture, writing, singing, and civilizations in which stealing, murder, and rape are outlawed.  So your assertion is self-defeating.
Well, biologically speaking, we are animals... and as it happens, not only do we see reflections of most of our behaviorsâ€"good, ill and neutralâ€"reflected in the so-called "lower" animals, but also instances of things we associate with consciousness and self-awareness (dolphins having names for each other, corvids solving problems that require building tools, several species passing the mirror test).

Which rather clearly implies that our sentience evolved naturally rather than was designed in specially.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

aitm

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 15, 2018, 06:54:58 AM
You perhaps know the story about the professor

xians love to quote "stories" as if they are actually true. Facebook is full of similar "stories"...yeah..sure...all true.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

Quote from: aitm on August 17, 2018, 08:10:01 PM
xians love to quote "stories" as if they are actually true. Facebook is full of similar "stories"...yeah..sure...all true.
Also, any professor dumb enough to be incapable of providing an answer to that could only be employed by a "college" like Bob Jones or (air quotes) Liberty (end air quotes).
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: trdsf on August 18, 2018, 02:40:45 AM
Also, any professor dumb enough to be incapable of providing an answer to that could only be employed by a "college" like Bob Jones or (air quotes) Liberty (end air quotes).

Yes. It always has that 'god's not dead' vibe.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 18, 2018, 07:15:13 AM

G-d isn't dead, but humanity seems to always be on the edge of extinction.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 18, 2018, 07:15:13 AM
I wonder if it bothers God that the only people who worship him are delusional. 

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on August 18, 2018, 07:42:24 AM
G-d isn't dead, but humanity seems to always be on the edge of extinction.

I agree, life's a prerequirement before death can be moved onto.
And even if there were a god, seeing as he would never die, i would similarly be equally hesitant on classifying him as alive.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 18, 2018, 07:48:18 AM
I wonder if it bothers God that the only people who worship him are delusional.

If you saw my clips on Last Temptation of Christ ... God's son is delusional ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 18, 2018, 08:27:40 AM
I agree, life's a prerequirement before death can be moved onto.
And even if there were a god, seeing as he would never die, i would similarly be equally hesitant on classifying him as alive.

Hindu/Buddhist gods aren't immortal, they are like very long lived super-aliens.  It is only Western/ME theology that has made monotheism the monstrosity it is.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason78

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on August 13, 2018, 04:13:18 PM
How does not this truth make you crazy?

Easy.  I have a plan.

I'm going to worry about it after it happens.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Sal1981

I intend to live forever.

At least until reality smacks me across the proverbial face.

Unbeliever

Much like Woody Allen"

“I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying. I don't want to live on in the hearts of my countrymen; I want to live on in my apartment.”
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 23, 2018, 02:00:01 PM
Much like Woody Allen"

“I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying. I don't want to live on in the hearts of my countrymen; I want to live on in my apartment.”

No, I literally intend to live forever.  Until a truck hits me.  Or a meteorite.  Bet on the truck.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!