News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Having to die one day...

Started by SoldierofFortune, August 13, 2018, 04:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 14, 2018, 10:21:46 AMDue to me being a theist, a Bible believing one, death is not the only thing in my life that is for sure, but the state of immortality that will follow.

Simply an exchange of a mortal body, to one that never dies, covered in radiating light, sexless, with ultimate knowledge.
Living among every being who were born on this Earth and died, knowing them all, travelling through the whole universe, and beyond. learning the secrets of creation. Knowing the ultimate Creator who told me about all these incredible things.

Wish full thinking, some will say.
Really?
Pretty much the epitome of wishful thinking, yes.

Shiranu

Death is an inevitable stage of life. No matter how much you worry about it, how much you fear it, it will happen regardless. Why fear that which is inevitable? And it's one thing to fear the pain of dying, but the state of being dead is no more worth being afraid of than the act of being born.

It's okay to let that fear come, like any other thought, but you have to let it go as well because death is not present for us now. There is no past, nor is there a future, the only time that will ever exist for us is the present. Do you know how you will die? Doubtful. So it is ridiculous to fear something you don't even know how or when it will happen. There is no point in spending your present existence worrying about an existence that will never come to pass.

What is there in death to fear? If you fell asleep one night and never woke up... does the concept of being eternally asleep scare you? Perhaps you are different, but there is nothing terrifying about that to me, because there will be no "me" left to care one way or another.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

Fear of pain, disability and death keep me motivated to take care of my health and appreciate my life. I don't avoid thinking about death but I don't dwell on it either. I admit I don't have all my end of life planning finalized yet.

trdsf

Yup, gonna have to die some day.  I'd prefer it not be soon, but there's only a finite amount of control I have over that.  It doesn't bother me in the least; at least I have a little more control over dying than I did being born.  I'm kind of at the point that I am aware that I'm not as strong or as fast or as coördinated as I used to be and if the overall decline in my physical condition were to continue even at its current modest pace, living forever would suck eventually.

I would like to be a centenarian, but outside of making healthy life choices, there's sod-all I can do about that.  Although I do have a mental image of myself as this sweet little old silver-haired gentleman with a cane full of gin... :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 14, 2018, 11:07:58 AM
Pretty much the epitome of wishful thinking, yes.
That's all faith ever was, wishful thinking. But if it gets someone through the rough patches of life I don't have a problem with it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 14, 2018, 01:18:47 PM
That's all faith ever was, wishful thinking. But if it gets someone through the rough patches of life I don't have a problem with it.
You know, when I was still a believer, I couldn't think of anything more boring than the whole alabaster streets eternally singing praises sort of heaven.  Even then I wanted my afterlife to be cruising the universe unfettered by the laws of physics and seeing what there is to see.

The wings would've been cool, though.  :D

(imagines self with wings, can only compare it to a beardless Brian Blessed... yikes, so much more Budgieman than Hawkman)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 14, 2018, 01:18:47 PM
I would completely agree with that if it was a relatively benign sort of faith that has no political ambitions, didn't try to control other people, and was 100% voluntary.  As far as crutches go, this one has a hell of a price tag.

Unbeliever

Yeah, that's the problem with faith memes - they want to propagate themselves throughout the whole population. If people could just keep their faith to themselves there would be no problem with it, but they just can't seem to do that. I think they feel if they can spread the meme then that will vindicate their own faith. And if they can make their faith meme the law of the land then they won't have to work so hard to propagate it.
God Not Found

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 14, 2018, 10:21:46 AM

To me, death is nothing.
Due to me being a theist, a Bible believing one, death is not the only thing in my life that is for sure, but the state of immortality that will follow.

Just exactly how I feel!!  Bugs Bunny and I are going to have such a grand time together!!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

If I had a choice I'd have an afterlife where I could roam and have adventures like Baron Munchausen.

But, alas, I don't think I'm going to have that choice.
God Not Found

GSOgymrat

If die and wake up to 72 comely virgins I will know I've gone to hell.

Unbeliever

With my luck, it'd be 72 Virginians...
God Not Found

Munch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 14, 2018, 02:11:42 PM

I know, personally I'd sooner wake up with 72 highly experienced guys. Thats something religion has never gotten right (besides everything else)
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 14, 2018, 02:11:42 PM
Ya know, I'd rather wake up to 72 comely prostitutes.  They'd know what I'd like and how to make it happen!! :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

There is only one reality that says you live one life. Everything else is speculation. But we know you live at least this. There are some who claim that some god(s) created this entire universe...but apparently never really understood the immensity of it. To the universe you are smaller than an atom is to us.

There is no real benefit to the universe to your birth, life or death. It is completely indifferent. The only things that cares about your existence is those involved in your life and...you. Engage in your brief time or not. In short time by universe standards, all will simply disappear into the mist that is the vastness of the universe. What fun!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust