News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Having to die one day...

Started by SoldierofFortune, August 13, 2018, 04:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on August 29, 2018, 12:08:36 PM
Even skeptics toy with such ideas from time to time.  I too have considered the possibility that I had a past life.  I can't remember one of course, not even a mysterious memory fragment that ever came to mind.  But it's fun wondering.  But one thing I can say about reincarnation with an high degree of confidence is that, if I had a previous life, I know absolutely nothing of it, and judging by the stupid things I've done in this life, there is apparently zero carryover of hard learned wisdom from any earlier life.
The idea does have its appeal for me.  I would really like to believe in it.  But it has the same amount of evidence to support it as does the existence of god--not a whisper of any.  So, into the wishful thinking bin it goes.  Damn.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 30, 2018, 01:29:35 PM
The idea does have its appeal for me.  I would really like to believe in it.  But it has the same amount of evidence to support it as does the existence of god--not a whisper of any.  So, into the wishful thinking bin it goes.  Damn.

I had no past life.  I will have no future life.  I will have no afterlife.  This does not bother me in the least.  When I die, I will be as utterly non-existent as the ant I stepped on today unknowingly or the fly an swatted the day before with malice.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 08, 2018, 04:51:05 AM
I had no past life.  I will have no future life.  I will have no afterlife.  This does not bother me in the least.  When I die, I will be as utterly non-existent as the ant I stepped on today unknowingly or the fly an swatted the day before with malice.

Only the present exists.  Your past is memory, your future is hope.  Neither of those are real.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

I didn't figure you to be a presentist, Baruch.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on September 08, 2018, 10:53:27 AM

Don't worry, whatever it was he said today, he will say the opposite tomorrow.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on September 08, 2018, 10:53:27 AM

Have said so several times.  However from the Present, in what direction do I look?  Well opposite of most people here.  I look to the past (tradition).  But I am not conservative (they live in the past).  But I am of course not liberal either (they live in the future).  People who live in the past or live in the future are deluding themselves, they think they are Time Lords.

The past is regret and pride.  The future is fear and hope.  Emotions, not facts.  Of course emotions are real too, just not in the way that materialists think.

Being "presentist" is part of my Buddhist influenced development, and my demi-god ideology.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 08, 2018, 11:11:28 AM
Don't worry, whatever it was he said today, he will say the opposite tomorrow.

Thesis + Antithesis -> Synthesis ... is it how I dialect (ical method).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on September 08, 2018, 11:53:18 AM
Have said so several times.  However from the Present, in what direction do I look?  Well opposite of most people here.  I look to the past (tradition).  But I am not conservative (they live in the past).  But I am of course not liberal either (they live in the future).  People who live in the past or live in the future are deluding themselves, they think they are Time Lords.

The past is regret and pride.  The future is fear and hope.  Emotions, not facts.  Of course emotions are real too, just not in the way that materialists think.

Being "presentist" is part of my Buddhist influenced development, and my demi-god ideology.
I like your message in this.  But you just cannot help but put things into black-and-white categories.  And you make pronouncements that you seem to take as truisms..:.'not liberal either (they live in the future).'  I am a liberal, but I don't live in the future.  I have hopes and wishes for the future, but I realize those don't usually pan out; I take what life gives me and then deal with in it in the present. 

Another truism for you:  "Of course emotions are real too, just not in the way that materialists think."  Yes, emotions are real and this very much materialist knows this.  Emotions are real and have a deep impact on the lives of us all.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 08, 2018, 01:01:22 PM
I like your message in this.  But you just cannot help but put things into black-and-white categories.  And you make pronouncements that you seem to take as truisms..:.'not liberal either (they live in the future).'  I am a liberal, but I don't live in the future.  I have hopes and wishes for the future, but I realize those don't usually pan out; I take what life gives me and then deal with in it in the present. 

Another truism for you:  "Of course emotions are real too, just not in the way that materialists think."  Yes, emotions are real and this very much materialist knows this.  Emotions are real and have a deep impact on the lives of us all.

True/false, Black/White ... so you oppose all languages, or just English?  In New Speak, all words are the same, you have to use context to follow it, but it is a beau jeste.  This is what relativism gets you.

Yes, you use English, your way.  Same as me, yet different.  Thank G-d we have the French Academy to determine what the legal definition of all French words are, and can enforce it (in France).  You may not use "hamburger" in a French publication ;-)

Typically the autistic male devalues emotions, not having any.  A progressive is an optimist.  A regressive is a pessimist.  And a pessimist is afraid that the optimist is right ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on September 08, 2018, 03:08:49 PM
True/false, Black/White ... so you oppose all languages, or just English?  In New Speak, all words are the same, you have to use context to follow it, but it is a beau jeste.  This is what relativism gets you.

Yes, you use English, your way.  Same as me, yet different.  Thank G-d we have the French Academy to determine what the legal definition of all French words are, and can enforce it (in France).  You may not use "hamburger" in a French publication ;-)

Typically the autistic male devalues emotions, not having any.  A progressive is an optimist.  A regressive is a pessimist.  And a pessimist is afraid that the optimist is right ;-))
???? You do like to drone on..........You did not address a single one of my points.  You seem to speak only Baruchish and I just can't follow it.

Unbeliever

Well, as Lo Pan said to Jack Burton, "You are not brought upon this world to get it!"

;-P
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 08, 2018, 08:07:08 PM
???? You do like to drone on..........You did not address a single one of my points.  You seem to speak only Baruchish and I just can't follow it.

Sorry.  I really don't try to obfuscate.  Other than trying to avoid direct personal insult (but I will insult your group or humanity in general).  I will look at it again.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 08, 2018, 01:01:22 PM
I like your message in this.

OK

QuoteBut you just cannot help but put things into black-and-white categories.

OK, can we put things into pseudo numerical terms ... 1-10 with 1 being White and 10 being Black?  If we don't divide things up, into contrasting positions, then thought and communication are impossible (hence the technique described in New Speak, to make thought and communication impossible).

QuoteAnd you make pronouncements that you seem to take as truisms..:.'not liberal either (they live in the future).'

A is like C as B is like D.  Part of college entrance tests.  Match one pair with another pair, to show that they are related.

QuoteI am a liberal, but I don't live in the future.  I have hopes and wishes for the future, but I realize those don't usually pan out;

OK.  And you are an outlier, vs my proposed definition above.  No actual population matches any definition exactly.

QuoteI take what life gives me and then deal with in it in the present. 

Exactly what I do too.

QuoteAnother truism for you:  "Of course emotions are real too, just not in the way that materialists think."  Yes, emotions are real and this very much materialist knows this.  Emotions are real and have a deep impact on the lives of us all.

Well then, you aren't autistic.

Your response was complicated, and my original response was too.  This parses it into individual ideas.  But don't expect me to provide footnotes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Black is just a shade of white, at least, according to Action Lab:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-OCfiglZRQ&t=1s
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 09, 2018, 05:48:20 PM
Black is just a shade of white, at least, according to Action Lab:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-OCfiglZRQ&t=1s
It's kind of interesting additional commentary on the old teaching, "White is a presence of all colors, and black is the absence of all colors."  What I found most interesting is that brown is actually just low intensity  orange.  I can kind of picture that in my imagination.  I would have liked to see him demonstrate that, just to see it.