Antifa clashes with police and journalists in Charlottesville and DC

Started by orcus, August 13, 2018, 02:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 10:33:11 AM
You are blaming the rusty nail for the tetnus shot you need after stepping on it. 

If you ignore nazis, they consider it "acceptance".  If you protest them, (by your argument) we are giving them a platform..  Like lose-lose arguments much? 

I'm not disagreeing with you much, just suggesting that objecting to nazis and other alt-right fanatics isn't wrong or purposeless.  Objecting to hateful people strengthens the community of people who object to them.

Hmmm, come to think of it, I AM objecting to your blaming the foot-in-mouth attitude.  A nazi knocks on my front door and I'll kick him in the balls and shove him off my front steps, and rub his face in poison ivy...
Then you're no better than antifa.

Instead of going all medieval on nazis, expose their broken ideology by, guess what, discussing their views front on. Violence only begets violence.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 15, 2018, 10:35:44 AM
The far left and the hard right meet somewhere beyond beyond. I love pointing out their similarities to them.

The hard left is less left than the hard right is right.  And I consider myself about 66% left.  The Democrats are far less left than Repubs are right. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on September 15, 2018, 10:50:57 AM
Then you're no better than antifa.

Instead of going all medieval on nazis, expose their broken ideology by, guess what, discussing their views front on. Violence only begets violence.

I'm not an anti-fa idiot.  I discuss nazi attitudes rationally.  Crazed loons of course, just as they were in WWII.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 10:52:19 AM
The hard left is less left than the hard right is right.  And I consider myself about 66% left.  The Democrats are far less left than Repubs are right.

Clintons and Obama were false flags ... Republicans all the way down.  Maybe that isn't a fair way to characterize a whole party.

Bush family are spooks ... Deep State all the way down.  Maybe that isn't a fair way to characterize a whole party.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 10:33:11 AM
You are blaming the rusty nail for the tetnus shot you need after stepping on it. 

If you ignore nazis, they consider it "acceptance".  If you protest them, (by your argument) we are giving them a platform..  Like lose-lose arguments much? 

I'm not disagreeing with you much, just suggesting that objecting to nazis and other alt-right fanatics isn't wrong or purposeless.  Objecting to hateful people strengthens the community of people who object to them.

Hmmm, come to think of it, I AM objecting to your blaming the foot-in-mouth attitude.  A nazi knocks on my front door and I'll kick him in the balls and shove him off my front steps, and rub his face in poison ivy...

The Spartans would go and cull the Helots (Greek slaves) once a year.  Training for their master race.  Should New England march thru Georgia once a year, to remind them who won the Civil War.  Gotta keep those red necks down on the farm.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 15, 2018, 10:35:44 AM
The far left and the hard right meet somewhere beyond beyond. I love pointing out their similarities to them.

A good illustration ...

http://articulatingideas.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-political-spectrum-should-be-circle.html

All political parties are equal, in that they are all on the spectrum someplace.  But moderation is at one end of the circle, and extremism is at the other.  It is expecting too much (Man is a political animal - Aristotle) for people to give up politics.  But it is reasonable for them to be moderate in their indulgence of self destructive collective behavior.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 15, 2018, 11:09:41 AM
A good illustration ...

http://articulatingideas.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-political-spectrum-should-be-circle.html

All political parties are equal, in that they are all on the spectrum someplace.  But moderation is at one end of the circle, and extremism is at the other.  It is expecting too much (Man is a political animal - Aristotle) for people to give up politics.  But it is reasonable for them to be moderate in their indulgence of self destructive collective behavior.

I would love to see "one end of the circle". 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 02:00:52 PM
I would love to see "one end of the circle".

With a circle, the center (on the strip) is anywhere you care to make it, but the politics isn't equal across the circle.  There is a definite center point, and an opposite extreme point.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2018, 02:14:59 PM
With a circle, the center (on the strip) is anywhere you care to make it, but the politics isn't equal across the circle.  There is a definite center point, and an opposite extreme point.

And still no "end" to the circle.  Admit it, you screwed the phrase.  I'll forgive you.  How does that spell-hand movement go?  Up, down, right, left?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 02:17:55 PM
And still no "end" to the circle.  Admit it, you screwed the phrase.  I'll forgive you.  How does that spell-hand movement go?  Up, down, right, left?

You are a Mobius strip in flames ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 02:25:17 PM
And a Larry Niven Ringworld to you too!

If they had built the Ringworld as one sided, it would have been a tyranny for sure.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2018, 02:26:55 PM
If they had built the Ringworld as one sided, it would have been a tyranny for sure.

I'm not sure that even makes sense.  But then, you type faster than I do.  The Ringworld had a top and bottom, but nothing existed on the bottom (no sunlight).  Yes, they checked.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 23, 2018, 02:37:34 PM
I'm not sure that even makes sense.  But then, you type faster than I do.  The Ringworld had a top and bottom, but nothing existed on the bottom (no sunlight).  Yes, they checked.

Well obviously, with a regular flat sided ring with the star at the center of it.  But not as ambitious as a Dyson sphere.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 23, 2018, 02:42:11 PM
Well obviously, with a regular flat sided ring with the star at the center of it.  But not as ambitious as a Dyson sphere.

The Dyson Sphere was the next logical step.  No wasted sunlight.