"Astroturfing" and Dark Money Propaganda

Started by Shiranu, August 13, 2018, 11:41:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

I didn't realise there was a word for this, but what astroturfing is is when an organization presents itself as this grassroots campaign but is actually funded by large corporations or the ultra-rich that aren't obligated to reveal that they are funders, or the idea of "paid protesters"... which do exist, but not so much in the way Trump and Republicans like to complain about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmh4RdIwswE

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

We own all your Tweets ... bwahah.

Yes, everyone on the Internet, or pre-Internet  ... where who they claimed to be ... lol
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

A great example of astroturfing:  when the FCC first started moving to demolish net neutrality, they reportedly got a lot of anti-net neutrality comments, supposedly indicating that the public was divided on the issue.  What wasn't as widely circullated is that those comments were nearly identical and had all the hallmarks of a small number of users posting under a massive number of sock accounts.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 13, 2018, 02:45:23 PM
A great example of astroturfing:  when the FCC first started moving to demolish net neutrality, they reportedly got a lot of anti-net neutrality comments, supposedly indicating that the public was divided on the issue.  What wasn't as widely circullated is that those comments were nearly identical and had all the hallmarks of a small number of users posting under a massive number of sock accounts.

So if the Internet is corrupt, just pluck it out ... along with both your eyes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 13, 2018, 02:45:23 PM

Astroturfing goes back to the old internet days.  What is shocking is that politicians (through ignorance or plobbying) still fall for it.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 15, 2018, 01:54:34 PM
Astroturfing goes back to the old internet days.  What is shocking is that politicians (through ignorance or plobbying) still fall for it.

One way to sell BS, is to believe your own BS.  That goes against the saying ... "Don't eat your own dog food".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 15, 2018, 03:40:39 PM
One way to sell BS, is to believe your own BS.  That goes against the saying ... "Don't eat your own dog food".

Oh heck, I wouldn't even eat the cat's canned food, and that is better than mine (by price per pound of them and me).

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Cavebear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 24, 2018, 08:22:21 AM
I'm totally using this word from now on.

You mean "astro-turfing"?  It has been around a while, meaning "fake ground-level up political activities".