Perseid Meteor Showers Back Again for a Repeat Performance

Started by SGOS, August 11, 2018, 09:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 06:49:07 AM
Well, both experience and circumstances matter.  In Vietnam, I would have been more concerned with lights in the sky than in Canada.
Canada geese don't have running lights? ;)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 12, 2018, 06:51:40 AM
Canada geese don't have running lights? ;)

Are you channeling Baruch?  Seriously, that didn't make any sense,
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 06:55:23 AM
Are you channeling Baruch?  Seriously, that didn't make any sense,
Joke's not original with me. My friend in Yellow Knife ("in" being three hours by boat) said that Canada geese need running lights like any other aircraft.

The joke does get more complicated when I mention that running lights were a no-no for the fast-movers that routinely overflew us to get their fixes for a run.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Geese do need stars and sunlight to migrate.  And some landmarks.  But not "running lights" which are lights attached to moving bodies.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 07:44:52 AM
Geese do need stars and sunlight to migrate.  And some landmarks.  But not "running lights" which are lights attached to moving bodies.
Instead of running lights they avoid collisions by honking.

Cavebear

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 07:44:52 AM
Yeah, hence the joke.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on August 12, 2018, 07:55:20 AM
Instead of running lights they avoid collisions by honking.
Sometimes.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 12, 2018, 08:19:15 AM
Honking didn't work for that goose. Collision resulted.
But you can have collisions with running lights too.  Nothing is perfect.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 12, 2018, 08:45:51 AM

Ships have lights too, so you know on which side to pass them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 12, 2018, 08:19:15 AM
Honking didn't work for that goose. Collision resulted.

No, Trump says there is NO Collission!  And the goose only brought coffee for a short time,  BTW, what goose.  There never was a goose.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on August 12, 2018, 08:45:51 AM
Thea had one hell of a collision without running lights, so I guess you're right.

Or you were just trying to claim that I claimed running lights were perfect.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 12, 2018, 08:55:50 AM
Thea had one hell of a collision without running lights, so I guess you're right.

Or you were just trying to claim that I claimed running lights were perfect.

Well, we can certainly discuss the run-in with Thea.  What is your view of it?