News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Was the internet a mistake?

Started by Hydra009, August 08, 2018, 02:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 09, 2018, 02:06:02 PMI'm interested.
Done and done.

I've stuck my neck out and I almost guarantee someone's going to take a swing, but it might be helpful in enlisting the hivemind in tackling both the weighty philosophical topics (what constitutes good journalism) as well my more prosaic concerns (which exact sites are good and which are bad)

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 09, 2018, 01:24:34 PM
Everyone has to determine their own level of confidence. Using this forum as an example, I'm not interested in listening to someone present pages of Biblical, historical and philosophical evidence that Christianity is the one true religion. I don't believe Jesus Christ was divine and that he died and came back to life. If I knew Jesus today and he died and came back to life three days later I probably would think it was a trick because, in my world, supernatural things don't happen. I'm interested in why people value Christianity, I'm not interested in evidence of the resurrection of Jesus.

Filtering out claims of the supernatural is easy but most topics that I'm interested in are more challenging. I think Trump is reprehensible but I need to recognize my bias when deciding things like whether giving $12 billion in farm subsidies to offset tariffs is a good idea. Free speech was something I believed I had clear thoughts about but having done more research I realize my ideas were not well thought out and I'm currently still trying to sort through the issues. Bottom line, being cognizant of our own bias and the bias of others and compensating is better than allowing computer algorithms to lead one down the primrose path to a walled garden of beautiful echoes.

43% of Republicans think it is OK for the President to silence news organizations he doesn't like.  I think the percentage would be comparable for other US groups.  We have to end free speech for everyone, to prevent out political opponents from making any speeches.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 09, 2018, 03:30:09 PM
Done and done.

I've stuck my neck out and I almost guarantee someone's going to take a swing, but it might be helpful in enlisting the hivemind in tackling both the weighty philosophical topics (what constitutes good journalism) as well my more prosaic concerns (which exact sites are good and which are bad)

There should be two permanent governments, both Mafias  No need for shared elections.  They should routinely assassinate their opposition mouthpieces.  Actual Mafia heads are exempt from the negative consequences of this warfare.  Sound familiar?

Good ... sites that agree with my psychopathy.  Bad ... sites that disagree with my psychopathy.  Your first mistake is allowing any room for psychopaths.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 09, 2018, 03:30:09 PM
Done and done.

It might be the hivemind that is the problem.  I stay off most social media (and they still find me more than I want just by being here).
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!