News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ignore the facts, believe the story

Started by Hydra009, August 29, 2018, 03:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on September 08, 2018, 04:09:14 PM
When I was little, that story was either read to me in class or was one of the stories in our reader.  My first and lasting impression was that this story was about religion.  To me it was the perfect metaphor, even though at the time, I had never heard of a metaphor.  Just like the story, I thought religion was all about fooling ourselves.  Now, I might concede that the metaphor was about the power of peer pressure.  But it's the same thing.

In England, the King is the head of the Church.  In that case, both a thing of religion and of politics.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on September 08, 2018, 06:26:37 PM
Hey, you never know about squirrels... I can personally vouch for this story, I well remember the local news coverage when it charged a Westerville police officer, who shot it three times.  It kept coming after the first two shots.  When a vet did a post-mortem on it, there was no trace of rabies or any other gross physical defect.  The final diagnosis was "That was just one mean squirrel."

Female defending nest?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 08, 2018, 04:09:14 PM
When I was little, that story was either read to me in class or was one of the stories in our reader.  My first and lasting impression was that this story was about religion.  To me it was the perfect metaphor, even though at the time, I had never heard of a metaphor.  Just like the story, I thought religion was all about fooling ourselves.  Now, I might concede that the metaphor was about the power of peer pressure.  But it's the same thing.

When we are young, we don't have a well-developed concept of "others". So when they say things, we worry they might be right.  And when some peers strongly state things about religion, we tend to go along with the confident ones.

Some of us don't to begin with, and some of us learn to think for ourselves, understanding slowly that "confidence" doesn't mean knowledge and that claims aren't always true.

And BTW, I bet atheists don't fall for advertisements the way most religious people do.  I sometimes watch them to see where the trickery is, but other than that, I just ignore them.  I'm pretty much immune. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 05:32:13 AM
When we are young, we don't have a well-developed concept of "others". So when they say things, we worry they might be right.  And when some peers strongly state things about religion, we tend to go along with the confident ones.

Some of us don't to begin with, and some of us learn to think for ourselves, understanding slowly that "confidence" doesn't mean knowledge and that claims aren't always true.

And BTW, I bet atheists don't fall for advertisements the way most religious people do.  I sometimes watch them to see where the trickery is, but other than that, I just ignore them.  I'm pretty much immune.

I have usually been immune to advertisements too.  Freethinking ... not just atheism.  Otherwise, a good description.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I never have to worry about advertisements, since I have no money with which to buy the crap they're selling anyway.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 12, 2018, 01:39:14 PM
I never have to worry about advertisements, since I have no money with which to buy the crap they're selling anyway.

Nothing is too cheap for even the poor to buy (sugar calorie-wise). Otherwise, they wouldn't be sold.  I remember penny candy.   Really, candy sugar dots on paper strips.  And pixie straws.   

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 03:06:13 PM
Nothing is too cheap for even the poor to buy (sugar calorie-wise). Otherwise, they wouldn't be sold.  I remember penny candy.   Really, candy sugar dots on paper strips.  And pixie straws.   
I remember that too, but I had forgot about the sugar dots.  They weren't my favorites, but it was fun to pick them of the strip of paper.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 12, 2018, 03:10:49 PM
I remember that too, but I had forgot about the sugar dots.  They weren't my favorites, but it was fun to pick them of the strip of paper.

Remember the necklace candies?  You could walk around eating a day of sugar in one hour.  No wonder we were skinny;  we were hyper all day!

We only got that stuff when visiting the grandparents each Summer.  And we had to walk past a horse manure barn (phew!) to get to the candy store with our nickle, so I guess we earned it.

AllPurposeAtheist

Don't forget that the greatest quarterback who ever played the game was the holy man himself..Tim Tebow. He set every modern record for the position and single handedly saved football for generations of god fearing football players..
Don't believe it? Just ask any Tebow fanatic..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Cavebear

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 04, 2018, 01:37:37 AM
Don't forget that the greatest quarterback who ever played the game was the holy man himself..Tim Tebow. He set every modern record for the position and single handedly saved football for generations of god fearing football players..
Don't believe it? Just ask any Tebow fanatic..

Tim Who?