Author Topic: More on the history of money, one of my favorite subjects ...  (Read 341 times)

Offline Baruch

Re: More on the history of money, one of my favorite subjects ...
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 12:47:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The term was in the US from somewhere.  I think I'll research that a "bit" more.

Yes, get back to us in a bit.
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 02:39:04 PM »
Yes, get back to us in a bit.

Got it!

"Most business could be handled by using coins. Sometimes, though, a coin was cut into smaller pieces to be used as payment or change, as needed."

I'm seldom wrong, but I do have a damn hard time proving it sometimes.  I'm a sponge of facts I can seldom find again sometimes, but this isn't one of those times!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Offline Baruch

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 07:24:36 PM »
Got it!

"Most business could be handled by using coins. Sometimes, though, a coin was cut into smaller pieces to be used as payment or change, as needed."

I'm seldom wrong, but I do have a damn hard time proving it sometimes.  I'm a sponge of facts I can seldom find again sometimes, but this isn't one of those times!

Yes, I have a vast library in my head, but the cat chewed up the card cat-alog ;-)
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 11:34:04 PM »
Yes, I have a vast library in my head, but the cat chewed up the card cat-alog ;-)

Well of course your mind is messed up a bit (and not by cats), but do you still disagree about coins sometimes being cut up?

Offline Baruch

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 02:21:06 PM »
Well of course your mind is messed up a bit (and not by cats), but do you still disagree about coins sometimes being cut up?

I didn't .. someone else did, and I said ... it happened in some places at some times.  Ask this of my Spanish colonial coin collection.  I have only seen a photo of a genuine cut silver ... though I have a fake one someplace.
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 02:26:11 PM »
I didn't .. someone else did, and I said ... it happened in some places at some times.  Ask this of my Spanish colonial coin collection.  I have only seen a photo of a genuine cut silver ... though I have a fake one someplace.

You specifically said (against my claim that coins were once cut) "nother origin of name .. two bits isn't due to the cutting, but that there were 2 reales coins ... 1/4 of an 8 reals coin (piece of eight) and twice a 1 real coin.  But coins smaller tan the piece of eight were found in Spain, not in the New World so much".

Offline Baruch

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2018, 02:34:51 PM »
You specifically said (against my claim that coins were once cut) "nother origin of name .. two bits isn't due to the cutting, but that there were 2 reales coins ... 1/4 of an 8 reals coin (piece of eight) and twice a 1 real coin.  But coins smaller tan the piece of eight were found in Spain, not in the New World so much".

Origin of a name ... which confuses the question of cut silver.  I have a 2 real cob from Mexico City ... that is 2 bits, though it isn't cut.  A bit = 1 real.
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2018, 02:37:56 PM »
Origin of a name ... which confuses the question of cut silver.  I have a 2 real cob from Mexico City ... that is 2 bits, though it isn't cut.  A bit = 1 real.

You are determined to ignore my evidence of cut coins.  I'll repeat:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Baruch

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2018, 02:40:30 PM »
You are determined to ignore my evidence of cut coins.  I'll repeat:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

A good but incomplete description (featuring N America only).
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »
A good but incomplete description (featuring N America only).

You really do refuse to accept this fact don't you, LOL!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk