More on the history of money, one of my favorite subjects ...

Started by Baruch, August 05, 2018, 03:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2018, 07:33:15 AM
The term was in the US from somewhere.  I think I'll research that a "bit" more.

Yes, get back to us in a bit.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 04, 2018, 12:47:23 PM
Yes, get back to us in a bit.

Got it!

"Most business could be handled by using coins. Sometimes, though, a coin was cut into smaller pieces to be used as payment or change, as needed."

https://www.history.org/history/teaching/enewsletter/volume3/march05/iotm.cfm

I'm seldom wrong, but I do have a damn hard time proving it sometimes.  I'm a sponge of facts I can seldom find again sometimes, but this isn't one of those times!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 04, 2018, 02:39:04 PM
Got it!

"Most business could be handled by using coins. Sometimes, though, a coin was cut into smaller pieces to be used as payment or change, as needed."

https://www.history.org/history/teaching/enewsletter/volume3/march05/iotm.cfm

I'm seldom wrong, but I do have a damn hard time proving it sometimes.  I'm a sponge of facts I can seldom find again sometimes, but this isn't one of those times!

Yes, I have a vast library in my head, but the cat chewed up the card cat-alog ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 04, 2018, 07:24:36 PM
Yes, I have a vast library in my head, but the cat chewed up the card cat-alog ;-)

Well of course your mind is messed up a bit (and not by cats), but do you still disagree about coins sometimes being cut up?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 06, 2018, 11:34:04 PM
Well of course your mind is messed up a bit (and not by cats), but do you still disagree about coins sometimes being cut up?

I didn't .. someone else did, and I said ... it happened in some places at some times.  Ask this of my Spanish colonial coin collection.  I have only seen a photo of a genuine cut silver ... though I have a fake one someplace.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 02:21:06 PM
I didn't .. someone else did, and I said ... it happened in some places at some times.  Ask this of my Spanish colonial coin collection.  I have only seen a photo of a genuine cut silver ... though I have a fake one someplace.

You specifically said (against my claim that coins were once cut) "nother origin of name .. two bits isn't due to the cutting, but that there were 2 reales coins ... 1/4 of an 8 reals coin (piece of eight) and twice a 1 real coin.  But coins smaller tan the piece of eight were found in Spain, not in the New World so much".

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 07, 2018, 02:26:11 PM
You specifically said (against my claim that coins were once cut) "nother origin of name .. two bits isn't due to the cutting, but that there were 2 reales coins ... 1/4 of an 8 reals coin (piece of eight) and twice a 1 real coin.  But coins smaller tan the piece of eight were found in Spain, not in the New World so much".

Origin of a name ... which confuses the question of cut silver.  I have a 2 real cob from Mexico City ... that is 2 bits, though it isn't cut.  A bit = 1 real.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 02:34:51 PM
Origin of a name ... which confuses the question of cut silver.  I have a 2 real cob from Mexico City ... that is 2 bits, though it isn't cut.  A bit = 1 real.

You are determined to ignore my evidence of cut coins.  I'll repeat:  https://www.history.org/history/teaching/enewsletter/volume3/march05/iotm.cfm

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 07, 2018, 02:40:30 PM
A good but incomplete description (featuring N America only).

You really do refuse to accept this fact don't you, LOL!