News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Slavery. The Bible and Quran.

Started by Mousetrap, August 03, 2018, 07:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 03, 2018, 01:29:48 PM
Leviticus 25:44 - "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves."

Yes, I agree. No point in discussing a question with an answer so obvious, anyone with a fully functioning brain can see it.

Also US law until 1865.  Yet we still have human trafficking aka slave labor.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 03, 2018, 10:08:14 AM
Noted!
As long as you realize that the next time you, or other atheists claim the Bible is the source of Slavery, you are incorrect.

So, in an attempt to discredit the Bible with such a fallacy, will by default prove deliberate ignorance to the facts as I compiled.
Dont even think of telling anyone, "it is simply another interpretation".
That galley will sink, slaves and master.

End of discussion.

you do understand the fact that slavery as been a part of human civilization long before the bible was was written, and those associated with the bible lived in times where slavery was just as much part of their culture. No it didn't invent slavery, but its followers made full use of slaves. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

But...but...atheists claim there was never any slavery until the Bible said it was OK!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 03, 2018, 07:55:47 PM
But...but...atheists claim there was never any slavery until the Bible said it was OK!

Early cave man society had slavery.  It is usually called marriage ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Wow, Mousetrap's posts were long and detailed.  And I didn't bother to read a word of it all... 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 04, 2018, 02:45:31 AM
Wow, Mousetrap's posts were long and detailed.  And I didn't bother to read a word of it all...

Usually those who have to much to say end up saying little at all
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 03, 2018, 07:55:47 PM

No, slavery probably existed since the beginning of human organization,  Someone always had to be on the bottom rung of the ladder.  But organized and justified slavery might be a different matter.  In that case, social organization reached a level where particular groups were considered "only-slave-worthy" so to speak.  Pretty much every racial or ethnic or religious group have been slaves at some point. 

My ancestors were slaves, your ancestors were slaves,  everyone's ancestors have been slaves at some time.  I don't not mistake that for the more modern organized slave practices of course.  It only just got worse until it finally ended (legally in most places). 

As an atheist, I neither claim that slavery started in biblical times (much older) nor stopped in modern times. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 04, 2018, 05:27:09 AM
No, slavery probably existed since the beginning of human organization,  Someone always had to be on the bottom rung of the ladder.  But organized and justified slavery might be a different matter.  In that case, social organization reached a level where particular groups were considered "only-slave-worthy" so to speak.  Pretty much every racial or ethnic or religious group have been slaves at some point. 

My ancestors were slaves, your ancestors were slaves,  everyone's ancestors have been slaves at some time.  I don't not mistake that for the more modern organized slave practices of course.  It only just got worse until it finally ended (legally in most places). 

As an atheist, I neither claim that slavery started in biblical times (much older) nor stopped in modern times.

People are shits to each other, and sometimes to themselves.  This isn't rocket science.  But idealists are bent on denying some aspect of empirical reality.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

So, once more eMpTy makes a bold, sweeping claim and crows early victory. Typical.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Cavebear on August 04, 2018, 02:45:31 AM
Wow, Mousetrap's posts were long and detailed.
It's true that they were long.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mousetrap

Quote from: pr126 on August 03, 2018, 10:40:10 AM
Slavery has been around long before Christianity or Islam was invented.

So why religion, which claims to be the ultimate moral guidance for humanity did not stop slavery?
Because religion was created for control of the masses.

And more importantly, an economic advantage of capturing and selling humans for profit.
Slavery is still present today in some parts of the world. Some 40 Million people are still slaves.
Oh, but it did!
It was also the Christians who fought wars against slavery to end it.
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.

Mousetrap

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 03, 2018, 11:32:13 AM
Delusional--at best.  Willfully false and totally blind. But, hey, it is your world so structure it any way you want.  But conflating facts and that Brothers Grimm fairy tale is simply laughable.  People think of fairy tales as being nice children's stories.  Read the real Brothers Grimm and you will soon find out that isn't so.  Same with the bible--it is simply gruesome stories used as a rather complicated boogie man to scare people into doing whatever the teller wants them to do.  I would say 'pathetic' but it doesn't reach that standard.
Perhaps you dont know that it was also the Grimm brothers who proved that there was one original language.
proven the Biblical claim true again!
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...

Mousetrap

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 03, 2018, 11:41:26 AM
These are two VERY different claims.  Despite your wall-o'-text claiming otherwise, even a casual reader of the Bible will note that it seems surprisingly unopposed to slavery.
I hate to break it to ya, but you didn't even achieve that.
Hahaha.  No.
As long as you demand that the Bible condones slavery, you actually prove that you did not even read what I posted.

pr126

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 06, 2018, 03:22:58 AM
Oh, but it did!
It was also the Christians who fought wars against slavery to end it.
Yes but centuries later.
What I meant was that the religions did not forbid slavery when those religions were created.
Apparently they were OK with slavery up to the time when it was abolished.

Mousetrap

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 03, 2018, 01:29:48 PM
Leviticus 25:44 - "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves."

Yes, I agree. No point in discussing a question with an answer so obvious, anyone with a fully functioning brain can see it.
And you must treat them well, you cant sell them, if they flee from you, you can not demand them back, you can not kill them, then you will be killed, they can only work for 7 years at most, then you must set them free with a severance package., if you capture (Steal)people you will be executed.
Just think, Israel was not allowed to steal people, but to buy them, and to then treat them well, eventually during the Sabbatical year, every 7 years, Then to be freed and be an equal citizen.
I love these laws from the Bible!