News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Springtime for Snowflakes

Started by pr126, July 31, 2018, 05:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Springtime for Snowflakes

QuoteThis fiercely honest memoir will piss many people off. Those who just attack its author over it (whether or not they've actually read it) will thereby reconfirm his point: that "social justice," as now preached and practiced on most campuses (and not just there) in the United States, is not a legacy of earlier mass movements for (real) social justice, but a religious creed with an effectively totalitarian agenda, birthed in the vast hothouse of postmodern theory. Here's hoping that this book will start real arguments, whether they elaborate its thesis, or modify it, or whatever else it takes to drive the counter-movement that all of us so very badly need. 

QuoteThis book may be the first of its kind--an academic's "tell all" of the politicization and collapse of the American Academy. Once an Allen Ginsberg acolyte and leftist fellow traveler, Rectenwald exposes the intellectual origins and fundamental flaws of postmodernism, social justice, identity politics, and many other theories and ideologies of the modern left. Springtime for Snowflakes is the first direct challenge to the world of leftist deconstructionism in which safe spaces are everywhere and intellectualism and learning are slaves to rigid ideology, partisanship, and intolerance to alternative views.

Baruch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization

A form of dissociation syndrome.  We see that in people posting here.  They find life meaningless.  They identify with a group more than with themselves.  Caused by tick bites.  They must have a lot of ticks in Europe.

Looked at the preface of this book (in OP).  Pretty much outlines development of full collective psychosis.  We have seen this before, in Germany, in Russia, in China.  Collective nervous breakdown.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Interesting. Might look into getting it. Though would prefer a physical copy.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

pr126

Quote from: Munch on July 31, 2018, 11:29:47 AM
Interesting. Might look into getting it. Though would prefer a physical copy.

Paperback £16
A bit too much.

PickelledEggs

"Michael Rectalwald"
Good author name. Going by the title, he might be a bit butthurt? lol

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 31, 2018, 01:52:40 PM
"Michael Rectalwald"
Good author name. Going by the title, he might be a bit butthurt? lol

Rectenwald, you agent provocateur ;-)

Seems like a good argument for complete shutdown of the university system, to prevent further infection to the society at large.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Postmodernism: A Very Short Introduction ... is balanced from 2003.

Basically Postmodernism is the new Platonism, the latest psychopathology to come from academy.

This pseudo-rational BS was debunked in 1996 ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_affair
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

QuoteThose who just attack its author over it (whether or not they've actually read it) will thereby reconfirm his point...

How convenient that any disagreement proves he must be right.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on July 31, 2018, 04:43:17 PM

10/10 convenient. Would get this level of convenience again

PickelledEggs

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 31, 2018, 04:43:17 PM

In postmodern feminism, if it feels right, to a Left woman (Lenin's wife) then it must be true.  Or is that Mao's wife who led the Gang of Four?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 31, 2018, 07:04:47 PM
Report it and the staff will take a look at it.
nah....just got my nails done......er....I mean my backed massaged by a korean sprite.....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on July 31, 2018, 07:15:18 PM
nah....just got my nails done......er....I mean my backed massaged by a korean sprite.....
"Can't get good help these days."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 31, 2018, 07:18:10 PM
"Can't get good help these days."

I love it when my cats walk on my back at night.  Closest thing to a massage I ever get...  And Ayla sometimes does it for 5 minutes.  I fall right asleep...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!