Is This Geometric Structure The Theory Of Everything?

Started by Unbeliever, July 30, 2018, 06:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

That's actually possible, if it's been taken apart and put back together incorrectly. I did that as a prank on a buddy once.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 27, 2018, 03:37:01 PM
That's actually possible, if it's been taken apart and put back together incorrectly. I did that as a prank on a buddy once.

Awesome!  And I read about some person who actually rearranged the color stickies to solve it.  Gordian Knot Theory I guess.  Think about the outsides of the box, right?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 03:30:00 PM
I went to youtube and I still can't solve it.  It actually annoys me more than Baruch does.  And I have great spatial talent.  I must have a defective cube.

It is group theory, not geometry.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 03:42:30 PM
Awesome!  And I read about some person who actually rearranged the color stickies to solve it.  Gordian Knot Theory I guess.  Think about the outsides of the box, right?
I like the "corners first" method, it has fewer algorithms to memorize. Other methods are OK, I'm currently working to learn the "block" method. But the "first 2 layers" method has too many OLLs and PLLs to memorize, and it's harder.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 27, 2018, 08:28:50 PM
I like the "corners first" method, it has fewer algorithms to memorize. Other methods are OK, I'm currently working to learn the "block" method. But the "first 2 layers" method has too many OLLs and PLLs to memorize, and it's harder.

You might as well be speaking Martian.  But I WILL look up "Rubik corners first" to see if I can get mine "right".

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 08, 2018, 03:23:54 PM
You can take your pick from these:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=kCGUW6cnjLHQ8Q-u2abgCw&q=rubic+corners+first+youtube&oq=rubic+corners+first+youtube&gs_l=psy-ab.3...2038.3528..4407...0.0..0.90.538.8......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i22i30j0i22i10i30j0i13i5i10i30j0i8i13i30j33i22i29i30j33i21.0GY3tmkAiu4

I'm considering making a wood cube and painting the sides as a joke...

But the Rubic's Cube really annoys me.  I assemble 3d puzzles, I solve those tavern puzzles where yo have to get the chained horseshoe out of the round space (an example), I do labyrinths, I did that stupid marble on the board thing.  I can't figure out the logic of The Cube. 

OK, once more into the breach, dear friends...

Unbeliever

Practice makes perfect - but you won't get to Carnegie Hall...
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 08, 2018, 03:45:55 PM
Practice makes perfect - but you won't get to Carnegie Hall...

And neither will asking for directions.  But 10,000 hours practice might.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 09:12:26 AM
And neither will asking for directions.  But 10,000 hours practice might.
It might, but there are other more critical factors at play.  For example, do you have both of your hands?  Don't view this a ridiculous statement.  Having no hands is just the extreme end of the continuum of physical abilities that must be in place.  As we continue through the continuum toward the other end we can start measuring small differences in fine neurological skills, that don't even exist  in 99% of the human population in the first place.  This is the extreme end of the continuum where the Olympic medalists are separated into gold, silver, and bronze, sometimes by a hundredth of a second.  In addition, these medalists are not just physically gifted.  They have mental gifts as well.  It's unlikely that even Hawking, Einstein, or Newton, have the specific mental gifts I'm referring to.

After you identify the person with the necessary so to speak birthrights, then you can start the 10,000 hours of practice, and only then you might make it to Carnegie Hall.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 12, 2018, 09:52:02 AM
It might, but there are other more critical factors at play.  For example, do you have both of your hands?  Don't view this a ridiculous statement.  Having no hands is just the extreme end of the continuum of physical abilities that must be in place.  As we continue through the continuum toward the other end we can start measuring small differences in fine neurological skills, that don't even exist  in 99% of the human population in the first place.  This is the extreme end of the continuum where the Olympic medalists are separated into gold, silver, and bronze, sometimes by a hundredth of a second.  In addition, these medalists are not just physically gifted.  They have mental gifts as well.  It's unlikely that even Hawking, Einstein, or Newton, have the specific mental gifts I'm referring to.

After you identify the person with the necessary so to speak birthrights, then you can start the 10,000 hours of practice, and only then you might make it to Carnegie Hall.

I made light before, but I take your serious point.  Ability is not just a matter of practice, though it WILL get you to high skill, given physical necessities.  Yes, if you have no hands, you're probably not going to win at Wimbledon.  I was assuming normal attributes, practiced 10,000 times that achieves a high level of skill.

Practice does grant some skills.  I used to be able to spin a top out of my hand into a bowl through practice.  I USED to be able to juggle 3 golf balls in the air, to a partner, off a wall, and against the floor.  With practice.  I can't now (tried and failed recently).  But I could if I practiced those skills again.

Beyond basic skills, there is mastery.  I have mastered nothing.  Mere basic competence in all things is sort of my talent.

Baruch

Be happy.  Many people never achieve even one basic competence, beyond breathing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.