Is This Geometric Structure The Theory Of Everything?

Started by Unbeliever, July 30, 2018, 06:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2018, 07:16:05 AM
Yeah, I know about light being slowed down through various media and all that.  My question is WHY gravity takes any time to operate.  And just saying lightspeed is "the limit" doesn't work.  Until we know how gravity really works, we can't tell the speed.

Look at the observations.   If gravity waves were detected before an event, then they'd be travelling faster than light.  If they arrive a bit later, then they would be slower.   If they arrive at the same time then the gravitational waves must be travelling at the same speed as the light from the event they correlate to.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Cavebear

Quote from: Jason78 on August 12, 2018, 07:10:20 AM
Look at the observations.   If gravity waves were detected before an event, then they'd be travelling faster than light.  If they arrive a bit later, then they would be slower.   If they arrive at the same time then the gravitational waves must be travelling at the same speed as the light from the event they correlate to.

So what evidence is there that they travel faster slower or equal to light?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 07:47:16 AM

Very hard to empirically prove, since there are so few observations so far, and the early ones were black hole mergers which wouldn't produce much EM radiation ... but a year ago ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GW170817
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 07:47:16 AM
Plenty â€" the detection of gravitational waves let us determine their speed, and it's c.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 12, 2018, 05:22:24 PM
We may soon be able to use stars as gravity wave detectors:

Nearby stars as gravitational wave detectors

Maybe.  "acoustic spectra of these stars" ... if it weren't for the vacuum of space, the roar of the sun, not just the light, would deafen us all.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: SGOS on July 31, 2018, 09:22:46 AM
My senior year in high school I was taking a speech class, where the class brain and nerd explained how to visualize the 4th geometrical dimension.  He started with a 2 dimensional picture of a simple cube that we immediately can see represents a 3 dimensional object. 

Then went on and showed us his three dimensional model of the cube he made out of balsa wood sticks.  He surrounded the cube with more sticks going out wildly from the 8 vertices and joining together into a complicated visualization of how we could visualize the 4th dimension in 3d, just as we visualize the third dimension in 2d.

The drawings in this thread are way more complicated than his model because he stopped at the fourth dimension.  But he did explain how further modeling could theoretically represent an infinite number of dimensions all occupying the same space.

Here is something I just blundered onto on the Internet.  Carl Sagan explains the 4 dimensional cube and shows one to you, the exact representation I tried to describe from 123 Infinity, and it even has a name.  Shades of Marvel's Thor and the Avengers, it's the Tesseract

I guess Stan Lee doesn't just make up names out of thin air for his science/mythological gizmos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WjV6MmCyM

Unbeliever

The first time I ever heard of a tesseract was when I read the book A Wrinkle in Time.

QuoteIn the novel, Mrs. Whatsit explains that if we understand space to be three-dimensional, and time represents a fourth dimension, then the tesseract is a fifth-dimensional bridge between two points in time and space. ... A tesseract is the literal “wrinkle in time” from the title, which is also a wrinkle in space.
God Not Found

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 18, 2018, 08:08:13 PM
The first time I ever heard of a tesseract was when I read the book A Wrinkle in Time.

You will always be 6 steps ahead of me :-)

Unbeliever

Yeah, that's why I so often trip over my own feet.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 18, 2018, 08:23:29 PM
Yeah, that's why I so often trip over my own feet.

Well, if you put a foot into a tesseract, you never know where it will end up.

But seriously, I have a slight thought that we may be slowly improving our concepts of spacetime to begin to begin to grasp tesseracts and 4th dimensions.  We are doing it in maths.  Whatever becomes usual to the next generations will be easier for them to accept and deal with.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 01:11:26 AM
Well, if you put a foot into a tesseract, you never know where it will end up.

But seriously, I have a slight thought that we may be slowly improving our concepts of spacetime to begin to begin to grasp tesseracts and 4th dimensions.  We are doing it in maths.  Whatever becomes usual to the next generations will be easier for them to accept and deal with.
So you're ready for a four-dimensional Rubik's cube, then?  XD
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 27, 2018, 02:03:05 AM
So you're ready for a four-dimensional Rubik's cube, then?  XD

Soon as I solve the 3D one (any day now for sure).  At least I couldn't do much worse.  The problem might be that the 4d Rubic's cube has 2 colors I can't see without my "special" glasses.

Unbeliever

Even Rubik, the guy who created the original cube, took 3 months to solve it. I cheated, and went to youtube to learn how. They didn't have youtube when he invented it, or I'm sure he would have too...
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 27, 2018, 03:25:17 PM
Even Rubik, the guy who created the original cube, took 3 months to solve it. I cheated, and went to youtube to learn how. They didn't have youtube when he invented it, or I'm sure he would have too...

I went to youtube and I still can't solve it.  It actually annoys me more than Baruch does.  And I have great spatial talent.  I must have a defective cube.