Is This Geometric Structure The Theory Of Everything?

Started by Unbeliever, July 30, 2018, 06:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

This stuff is pretty interesting, and may turn out to be important. It's not easily understood, but I think it's worth some effort to try.

QuoteFor 100 years, scientists have been searching for the "Theory of Everything", the elusive link between the physics of Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity. A team of researchers believe they may have the key, and it all lies in a geometrical design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqu_uV-gIcU

http://www.quantumgravityresearch.org/

The beauty of E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-LC_l3gNuc

Experimental evidence for the occurrence of E8 in nature and the radii of the Gosset circles

Visualizing the 600-Cell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMG-jvLoepE

Why Use an 8-Dimensional Shape to Describe 3-Dimensional Reality? by Klee Irwin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKXJb4Ok9hQ

Exceptional Lie Groups Explained Using Non-Infinite Reflections by Klee Irwin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_w408y_3rw
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

That is some heavy (sarc) stuff you are laying out there.  Usually, for the past 100 years, transformation symmetry aka group theory has been key in theoretical physics.  So I would guess that The Monster Group might be key ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_group

since I consider G-d to be quite a monster ;-)

The actual connection with quantum gravity is ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monstrous_moonshine

I did try to study regular quantum theory and QFT back in ... 2014.  Worked thru all these lectures ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDkEiUDz8CA&list=PLWP0zoSOFqlN2x7Iw47MuCjpRrElQ8dXX  ... in 88 parts.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason78

I think I know about 12.3% of the maths needed to understand this.

It sure is pretty though!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Quote from: Jason78 on July 30, 2018, 08:16:06 PM

Very hard to visualize above 3 or 4 dimensions.  These things can only be held in the minds of mathematicians ... not by ordinary mortals.  Bow down and worship the followers of Pythagoras ;-)  Otherwise Plato will kick you out of his Academy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Jason78 on July 30, 2018, 08:16:06 PM

Yeah, it makes foe some nice visuals!
God Not Found

Jason78

Quote from: Baruch on July 30, 2018, 08:19:44 PM
Very hard to visualize above 3 or 4 dimensions. 

I'm ok up to about 5 dimensions.   

The way I explained it to someone else was;  Imagine a three dimensional array.   From any cell, you can move up/down, left/right, forward/back.

Now imagine a four dimensional array.   From any cell, you can move up/down, left/right, forward/back, widdershins/deosil.

Then I tried explaining 5 dimensions and we ended up drinking vodka.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

SGOS

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Shiranu

Bookmarking this for the next time I have something to smoke or eat...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

trdsf

For help visualizing additional dimensions, let me offer Dimensions (which also explains how the Mandelbrot set works), and Imagining the Tenth Dimension, which works its way up from three, although it takes a non-geometric tack.

Dimensions plods a bit and the narrators are uneven, but the visualization technique is effective.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

My senior year in high school I was taking a speech class, where the class brain and nerd explained how to visualize the 4th geometrical dimension.  He started with a 2 dimensional picture of a simple cube that we immediately can see represents a 3 dimensional object. 

Then went on and showed us his three dimensional model of the cube he made out of balsa wood sticks.  He surrounded the cube with more sticks going out wildly from the 8 vertices and joining together into a complicated visualization of how we could visualize the 4th dimension in 3d, just as we visualize the third dimension in 2d.

The drawings in this thread are way more complicated than his model because he stopped at the fourth dimension.  But he did explain how further modeling could theoretically represent an infinite number of dimensions all occupying the same space.  And the awesome thing about his speech, which was supposed to be stopped by the teacher if it went over 5 minutes, is that it went on for a half hour, and he did it so well, that he held the complete attention of even the most intellectually challenged class members.

During the questions and answers that followed, the teacher asked where he had learned about this, and he said it came out of a book called "1,2,3 Infinity," which must have had many other interesting concepts in it too.  Although, I never looked up the book.  That speech was one of the most interesting things I ever experienced in high school.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on July 31, 2018, 09:22:46 AM
My senior year in high school I was taking a speech class, where the class brain and nerd explained how to visualize the 4th geometrical dimension.  He started with a 2 dimensional picture of a simple cube that we immediately can see represents a 3 dimensional object. 

Then went on and showed us his three dimensional model of the cube he made out of balsa wood sticks.  He surrounded the cube with more sticks going out wildly from the 8 vertices and joining together into a complicated visualization of how we could visualize the 4th dimension in 3d, just as we visualize the third dimension in 2d.

The drawings in this thread are way more complicated than his model because he stopped at the fourth dimension.  But he did explain how further modeling could theoretically represent an infinite number of dimensions all occupying the same space.  And the awesome thing about his speech, which was supposed to be stopped by the teacher if it went over 5 minutes, is that it went on for a half hour, and he did it so well, that he held the complete attention of even the most intellectually challenged class members.

During the questions and answers that followed, the teacher asked where he had learned about this, and he said it came out of a book called "1,2,3 Infinity," which must have had many other interesting concepts in it too.  Although, I never looked up the book.  That speech was one of the most interesting things I ever experienced in high school.
One, Two, Three... Infinity is by physicist and cosmologist (and arguably shoulda-been Nobel laureate) George Gamow, who also wrote the Mr Tompkins books, which I remember reading at the age of ten and getting thermodynamics (I particularly remember the section on Maxwell's Demon) explained in a way that made sense to a ten year old.  He was a brilliant science explainer; I should look those up again.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

I remember having read that Gamow book long ago, but I too need to read it again. I remember how much fun it was to read! I don't think I've ever come across the Mr. Tomkins books, though. I think I'll see if my local library has them.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 31, 2018, 01:15:55 PM
I remember having read that Gamow book long ago, but I too need to read it again. I remember how much fun it was to read! I don't think I've ever come across the Mr. Tomkins books, though. I think I'll see if my local library has them.

I saw those too, but was older.  Read Gamow's book- Gravity.  Also his book in the history of Quantum Mechanics- Thirty Years That Shook Physics: The Story of Quantum Theory
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.