American Myths Are Killing You

Started by Baruch, July 27, 2018, 07:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 29, 2018, 09:51:51 AM

I also don't personally appreciate the posts by Baruch that purposely just try to piss people off without really any other context and also followed up by ambiguous replies, but that is just me. I'm *pretty* sure that is quite literally the definition of trolling

you know, you have the option to not get pissed off by what he posts, instead of finding something to get pissed off by. So much of what he says is either ambiguous or only really effects you if you apply your own context to it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on July 29, 2018, 09:56:51 AM
you know, you have the option to not get pissed off by what he posts, instead of finding something to get pissed off by. So much of what he says is either ambiguous or only really effects you if you apply your own context to it.

There is that word ... "context" ... "I don't think that word means what you think it means" meme applies to more than one person here.

What people would like, would be what some do ... a long itemized point by point rebuttal of someone's shit posting, with footnotes.  Sorry, not my style.  I am a stream of consciousness guy.  I don't have much of a "backup" mode in my head ... more often "fast forward".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 29, 2018, 09:51:51 AM
It's funny, really. While I agree that the U.S. is arrogant, it's interesting coming from Baruch, who is also probably THE MOST arrogant person in this entire forum.

I also don't personally appreciate the posts by Baruch that purposely just try to piss people off without really any other context and also followed up by ambiguous replies, but that is just me. I'm *pretty* sure that is quite literally the definition of trolling

One has to shout, be be heard over the din.  I have done what I can to fit in.  But projecting onto others is a rather common habit in life.

Rainbow Brite I am not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Munch on July 29, 2018, 09:56:51 AM
I'm not pissed off. Other people are. I want the forum to be not so frustrated by his antics

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on July 29, 2018, 10:11:28 AM
One has to shout, be be heard over the din.
Actually, you don't.  People read, but sometimes they simply disagree.  Agreement is not achieved through shouting, not as much as you might think.  However, people often stop paying attention to redundancy of the bizarre or continued hyperbole.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Baruch on July 29, 2018, 10:11:28 AM
One has to shout, be be heard over the din.  I have done what I can to fit in.  But projecting onto others is a rather common habit in life.

Rainbow Brite I am not.

I was actually about to say, you kind come off like one of those loonies in the city screaming "IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD. THE END OF DAYS ARE NEAR"

They scream so much nonsense and gibberish, eventually you tune it out. Kind of like you. Every so often you pay them a bit of attention, but for the most part, it's white noise. Static.

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 29, 2018, 10:16:38 AM
I'm not pissed off. Other people are. I want the forum to be not so frustrated by his antics

Then people need to not "go off their meds".  Or in the case of Gilgamesh, not post while taking multiple toxins into their system.

People would love me, if only had voted for Hillary.  Not going to happen.  Voted for Bill in 92.  People would more love to hate me if I had voted for Donald.  Not going to happen.  This board is ... by volume, mostly about political shit posts.  Not about atheism, not about science.  And a few posts about baked goods etc.  I don't see anything wrong with the way things are.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Baruch on July 29, 2018, 10:30:15 AM
Then people need to not "go off their meds".  Or in the case of Gilgamesh, not post while taking multiple toxins into their system.

of in the case of you, consider going on some meds

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 29, 2018, 10:29:47 AM
I was actually about to say, you kind come off like one of those loonies in the city screaming "IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD. THE END OF DAYS ARE NEAR"

They scream so much nonsense and gibberish, eventually you tune it out. Kind of like you. Every so often you pay them a bit of attention, but for the most part, it's white noise. Static.

No ... more like ... Pod People!  I am not afraid of immigrants, unless they are google eyed aliens who are pretending to be human.  I am most suspicious of vegetarians however ;-)

Thanks for the unlicensed medical advice.  Anti-depression drugs actually are ... bad for you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

And Gilgamesh was banned for blatant toxic behavior and personal attacks as well as racism. Just to clear that up, because you give the impression you don't understand why he hasn't been around

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 29, 2018, 10:33:38 AM
And Gilgamesh was banned for blatant toxic behavior and personal attacks as well as racism. Just to clear that up, because you give the impression you don't understand why he hasn't been around

I do, but I also understand why he was engaged in toxic behavior.  He admitted to it one night in the Shoutbox, and in other posts.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Whatever the reason is, it's not an excuse to be that way. There is a limit. We try to be lenient with heated arguments and we also want freedom of speech, but there needs to be civility when we discuss things, even if we disagree.

PR, you, and also sort of Munch hold different views than the majority of the forum, but for the most part there is a civility in the way the discussion is being carried out. Sometimes things get heated, but it cools down. Gilgamesh was a whole other level of toxic and needed to take a long time out. If he returns after his mandatory vacation is up, he will be watched carefully.

I say this because I would like for more varying world views on this site, as would the other mods. It's not engaging otherwise. So please don't stoop to gilgamesh's level, or your version of his level. Say what you need to say, but try to not go down that path. You've deteriorated, as Mike has mentioned.

Baruch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 29, 2018, 10:44:03 AM
Whatever the reason is, it's not an excuse to be that way. There is a limit. We try to be lenient with heated arguments and we also want freedom of speech, but there needs to be civility when we discuss things, even if we disagree.

PR, you, and also sort of Munch hold different views than the majority of the forum, but for the most part there is a civility in the way the discussion is being carried out. Sometimes things get heated, but it cools down. Gilgamesh was a whole other level of toxic and needed to take a long time out. If he returns after his mandatory vacation is up, he will be watched carefully.

I say this because I would like for more varying world views on this site, as would the other mods. It's not engaging otherwise. So please don't stoop to gilgamesh's level, or your version of his level. Say what you need to say, but try to not go down that path. You've deteriorated, as Mike has mentioned.

I totally agree with the mods here.  Best mods I have seen (and it doesn't pay anything).  You want some boundaries (legally and otherwise) but not so much as to be an echo chamber like 99% of the other forums.  If I wanted an echo chamber, I would build my own forum (a former poster here did) and basically talk to myself.

On some days I have deteriorated, but not as bad a Far Side zombies yet.

The origin of this string, is my typical "see it from 30,000 ft" rhetoric, partly based on George Carlin and others influenced by him.  Though I also started that "Say Something Nice About America" string ... for balance.  But as a fiddler crab, I have to play Gypsy music lob-sided.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

I appreciate that, Baruch. Thank you

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 29, 2018, 09:43:09 AM
But, I didn't come here to virtue signal, or to get stroked.  Old age is not for weaklings (many can verify that who post here).

Say something positive yourselves ... no need to dwell so much on the negative.  Is that how the baking section works?

Nice things about nice hobbies.  I always read and enjoy those sections ... though your hobbies aren't my hobbies.
Baruch, I do say positive things to others.  Even you.  But I like to be honest--and your new persona has taken over so much that the Baruch of old (knowledgeable,  good writer, good humor sprinkled with good sarcasm and cynicism) has been buried.  I have no dislike of you--telling you like it is from my point of view.  If I held you in the same regard as I do Mouse and his ilk, I'd not bother.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?