The challenges facing atheists in the U.S.

Started by Unbeliever, July 26, 2018, 08:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 01, 2018, 04:28:35 AM
You dont even know!
:evil::laugh:
I planned it this way, and you fell for it!

It is Hillary-ous!!!
Look====
You are making a wonderful statement that the Bible is correct without any internal nonsense!
Actually, you are doing it in a self destruct mode where you agree that, I am wrong in claiming that Atheists are not mass murderers, and if you claim the Bible is wrong, you know you are wrong.

Gotcha!!!

Well, "no".  I don't think the christian bible is correct in real ways.  I don't doubt that some murderers have been atheist (And many more have been theist), and I have no self-destruct mode.  Unlike many theists who hope for a good afterlife or fear a horrible one, when I die, I will just be dead. 

"If you claim the Bible is wrong, you know you are wrong".  Well, again, "no".  The claims of deity in the bible and all other religious texts mean nothing to me.  There is no evidence.  I care nothing for their claims. 

Your assumptions seem rather bizarre to me.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mousetrap

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2018, 05:12:27 AM
... Unlike many theists who hope for a good afterlife or fear a horrible one, when I die, I will just be dead...

Your assumptions seem rather bizarre to me.
And yet again, I love to think that when I die, (this body of mine obviously) my Mind and Spirit will continue to live in another body covered in light that will not age.
Am I soothing my mind in an attempt to cover fear of death?
No, not at all.
To me it is just one more fact found in the Bible, and taken that it is correct in science, archaeology, and history, I find it impossible to ignore this one small claim of immortality.
Then again, am I capable to postulate the idea of death is final?
Only if I disregard the Bible and the contents thereof.
I choose not to, therefore if anyone think I am a dreamer in my hope to be more than just a rotting carcass, so be it.

In fact, your assumptions seem totally bizarre to me too!

Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 01, 2018, 05:26:07 AM
And yet again, I love to think that when I die, (this body of mine obviously) my Mind and Spirit will continue to live in another body covered in light that will not age.
Am I soothing my mind in an attempt to cover fear of death?
No, not at all.
To me it is just one more fact found in the Bible, and taken that it is correct in science, archaeology, and history, I find it impossible to ignore this one small claim of immortality.
Then again, am I capable to postulate the idea of death is final?
Only if I disregard the Bible and the contents thereof.
I choose not to, therefore if anyone think I am a dreamer in my hope to be more than just a rotting carcass, so be it.

In fact, your assumptions seem totally bizarre to me too!

You are welcome to think that after you die, you will live again.  That is your opinion, and one I don't share.

If you find fact in the bible, hurray.  Good for you.  I and most thinking people don't.  And other theists disagree with your particular view.  Are they all wrong?

Do you realize that most of the christian bible was written a couple of centuries after the death of the unproven Jesus?  Does that concern you in the least bit?

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2018, 05:40:01 AM
You are welcome to think that after you die, you will live again.  That is your opinion, and one I don't share.

If you find fact in the bible, hurray.  Good for you.  I and most thinking people don't.  And other theists disagree with your particular view.  Are they all wrong?

Do you realize that most of the christian bible was written a couple of centuries after the death of the unproven Jesus?  Does that concern you in the least bit?

Not only were the New Testament letters written long after Jesus and any alledged witnesses would have been long dead, three of the four Gospels (so called "eye witness accounts") had no authors attributed to them until the Catholics labelled them long after. Not only that, but Matthew and John quote the earlier source Mark verbatim. So contrary to what Christians claim, they were not written independently by different disciples. Mark was written first, and the other two "corrected" it by adding, subtracting, and changing details. Sometimes the changes didn't even make sense and created plot holes in the story. The original Jesus of Mark doesn't even have a virgin birth. All that was shoehorned in later to try to force his story to fit Old Testament prophecies. A census requiring people to return to their home towns? Never happened. That's not how censuses work. Herrod feeling threatened enough by the supposed prophesied "King of the Jews" to have every male child two years and under in a certain town murdered? Laughable, and incidentally never happened.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mousetrap

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2018, 05:40:01 AM

Also not true.
The Old testament was written during the centuries between 1450 BC to 480 BC. During the Kings period, 1000 BC to 721 BC the records were kept in the Temple archives and updated and replaced when damaged.
From 721 to 685 BC the religious manuscripts, and the temple were constantly in danger of being destroyed, and eventually the Temple was decimated including the Library on the Temple mount.
The manuscripts were again collected 70 years later, and the Jewish scribes again maintained all the manuscripts we have today.
In 70 Ad the very same situation occurred when Titus destroyed the Temple.
The Old Testament was in personal trust by Jewish Families, and for 850 years re written due to ageing.
This was the oldest manuscript of the OT.

However, for the next 1200 years the Christians and Jews just continued to copy what they had, and in 1948 the Dead sea scrolls were discovered, where multiple Manuscripts of every Old testament book was found, except that of Esther.
Was there any differences between what was re written by Jews and Christians for 2 200 years?
Only more modern words and perhaps a few spelling errors.
But this is evidence to how careful the Christian and Jew protected the OT.

All the books of the New Testament was already in circulation at 68 AD.
Many church fathers' references to the New Testament, such as the Didache, is evidence to this fact.
Furthermore, there is not a single reference to the destruction of Jerusalem, and the Temple, as Christians were told to flee when they saw the armies around Jerusalem.
More than 300 000 Jews perished under Titus, but not a single Christian.
Why, because they took the words of Jesus serious to leave Jerusalem.

Today we have ample evidence that the apostles and Christians, in the first century after Jesus, maintained the manuscripts of the NT even during 300 years of persecution.
What archaeology discovered during the last 100 years made many NT critic silent.
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...

Mousetrap

Anyhow, to imply that the Gospel writers were not identifiable is nothing more than wishful thinking.
There is no evidence for this claim at all.
James White, who is a Christian apologist, not only destroyed that accusation, but could not find any sources for that claim.

Let me show you what James White also did to Shabir Ali when he came up with this so called argument that Mark was written first.
He says, thank you for the claim. Because this will mean that Acts was written thereafter.
Acts closed before 60 Ad when Nero persecuted the Christians, and before 70 ad when Titus destroyed the Temple.
If everyone copied Mark, the whole NT dates from before 70 AD!

I am very happy with the date of the Bible, NT and Old.
There are not a single ancient book that was handed down to us for at least 2500 years, only to be confirmed by archaeology as non corrupted and tampered with.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 31, 2018, 01:26:00 PM
Ah, but people here don't like White males, not even dead ones (that quote is from Kipling).
Totally, totally wrong!!  I LOVE Mickey Mantle--and he's dead.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 01, 2018, 11:44:18 AM
Totally, totally wrong!!  I LOVE Mickey Mantle--and he's dead.

Some us are nearly dead White males, and are feeling uncomfortable about that!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 01, 2018, 12:47:41 PM
Some us are nearly dead White males, and are feeling uncomfortable about that!
I don't know.  I get to know what it feels like to live in a body while it is breaking down..............................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Shiranu

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 01, 2018, 03:18:43 AM
And all the foundations of the sciences atheists are making advancements on, was constructed by Christians and Jews a long time ago.
Today there are many scientists (Christian), who are expelled from the intellectual world due to them being nothing more than Christian.
All done by Atheists!

And most Christian science is based off Hindu and Greek science...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 01, 2018, 03:26:39 PM
I don't know.  I get to know what it feels like to live in a body while it is breaking down..............................

Zombie love, zombie love ...
Skin falls off, like a glove ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 01, 2018, 03:42:01 PM

And they were based off of Babylonian and Egyptian science ... bow down to Marduk and Osiris now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XAQJmAB_iQ

Europeans are Near Eastern wannabes.  Even the alef-bet I am typing with, was invented in what is now Lebanon.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

More closed minded bullshit from the Mouse. No Christians are being expelled from the scientific community for their faith. Get your head out of your ass and read a book. My Master's thesis was on the correlation between joint prayer and relationship satisfaction for fuck sake. You clearly don't know a bloody thing about science.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mousetrap

Quote from: Shiranu on August 01, 2018, 03:42:01 PM
Yet, it was the Christians and Jews who got it all together over the past 500 years.
Why?
Because of the reformation that allowed science to grow.
Everyone is safe under Christianity.

Mousetrap

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 01, 2018, 10:48:29 PM
More closed minded bullshit from the Mouse. No Christians are being expelled from the scientific community for their faith. Get your head out of your ass and read a book. My Master's thesis was on the correlation between joint prayer and relationship satisfaction for fuck sake. You clearly don't know a bloody thing about science.
You are ripe for the 2008 documentary, "Expelled, no intelligence allowed".
I am not even going to give you links to court cases, complaints, and blatant discrimination on the topic.
You know I am not exaggerating if I say that Atheists are gunning Christians, (and Jews) in educational institutes for their religion.

Anyhow, Why the swearing and personal attacks.
How did you do on your Master's thesis of:
"The correlation between joint prayer and relationship satisfaction for fuck sake".

Is there a subject matter such as "Relationship satisfaction for fuck sake"?