News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Happy birthday, modern computing.

Started by trdsf, June 21, 2018, 10:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 02, 2018, 07:17:49 AM
I am twice the age of most people where I work ... it is interesting indeed.  The youth are energetic.

Maybe it is time to retire.  If you are doing anything unmeaningful...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 13, 2018, 07:16:48 AM
Okay. OP-20-G and S.I.S. were intercepting Purple code messages from Gaimu Daijin and interpreting them for the President and eleven other officials (the "Twelve Apostles"). They routinely gave three interpretations to ambiguous words, "soft", "medium", and "hard", with "hard" being the most bellicose. They then chose which option would be used in the English translations shown to the people eligible to read them. In about 95% of the cases they used "hard" versions of words, giving a belligerent view of the original message.

I was working with a gentleman at Tokyo U. to provide all three options for the uncertain terms when I was a grad student. Unfortunately he died and I had no means of getting the Japanese versions. So I just settled for a Masters and went to work for the Navy.

Other historians have noted, that the Japanese took a hard line to what they saw as US policy toward occupation of China by Japan.  It wasn't as hard nosed as they thought, but being violent people, they basically wanted to kill all the gaijin anyway.  They needed an excuse to be intransigent, an to further fuck Japan over by trying to conquer China, and then the rest of SE Asia.  The Japanese military doubled down, like the Soviets in Afghanistan.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 13, 2018, 08:55:10 AM
Maybe it is time to retire.  If you are doing anything unmeaningful...

As an anti-nihilist, I find everything meaningful.  The opposite of a nihilist like Unbeliever or a semi-nihilist like MikeCL.

Sitting on my ass is meaningful to me, no need to retire to do that ;-) I love my work, wish I was younger so I could do more of it.  It is so wonderful, I would do it for free, if they would let me.  This causes the heads of mid to young adults around me, explode.  The journey is the reward.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on July 13, 2018, 01:17:51 PM
As an anti-nihilist, I find everything meaningful.  The opposite of a nihilist like Unbeliever or a semi-nihilist like MikeCL.
As a nihilist, I don't think there's no meaning at all, just that we give meaning to things, not the universe.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 13, 2018, 01:15:27 PM
Other historians have noted, that the Japanese took a hard line to what they saw as US policy toward occupation of China by Japan.  It wasn't as hard nosed as they thought, but being violent people, they basically wanted to kill all the gaijin anyway.  They needed an excuse to be intransigent, an to further fuck Japan over by trying to conquer China, and then the rest of SE Asia.  The Japanese military doubled down, like the Soviets in Afghanistan.

So they slavishly copied us right down to baseball as a sneaky way to lure us into deceit in um, the 2050 World Series?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on July 13, 2018, 01:40:55 PM
So they slavishly copied us right down to baseball as a sneaky way to lure us into deceit in um, the 2050 World Series?
This was 1941.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 13, 2018, 01:32:58 PM
As a nihilist, I don't think there's no meaning at all, just that we give meaning to things, not the universe.

Not even that, if you can't be bothered to give meaning to things yourself.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 13, 2018, 06:24:01 PM
This was 1941.

Cavebear was alive back then, and could have whipped the Axis single handed, if FDR had let him ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear