News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

This is huge: *current* liquid water on Mars.

Started by trdsf, July 25, 2018, 03:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 28, 2018, 03:31:09 PM
Marc Watney got crops going with recycled shit.

1.  Yeah, but it was really GOOD SHIT, Man!
2.  You plant potatoes, and all the Irish will leave Earth.
3.  And (see above) what the BBC do for humor?
4.  Blanket Mars with dandelion and crabgrass seeds.  They will grow anywhere.
5.  Send Mercury into Mars.  Great rings for a few hundred years and Mars gets an iron core.  Instant magetosphere.
6.  New TV show.  'ST: Launch Baruch'.  If he finds god, we win.  If not, we win.
7.  Blanket Mars with Water Bears to eat the crabgrass.
8.  Blanket Mars with something that eats Water Bears and excretes oxygen.
9.  Launch Amazon Fullfilment Facility.  "Free shipping on planet".
10. NewNewYork established 2090.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 06:31:06 AM
1.  Yeah, but it was really GOOD SHIT, Man!
2.  You plant potatoes, and all the Irish will leave Earth.
3.  And (see above) what the BBC do for humor?
4.  Blanket Mars with dandelion and crabgrass seeds.  They will grow anywhere.
5.  Send Mercury into Mars.  Great rings for a few hundred years and Mars gets an iron core.  Instant magetosphere.
6.  New TV show.  'ST: Launch Baruch'.  If he finds god, we win.  If not, we win.
7.  Blanket Mars with Water Bears to eat the crabgrass.
8.  Blanket Mars with something that eats Water Bears and excretes oxygen.
9.  Launch Amazon Fullfilment Facility.  "Free shipping on planet".
10. NewNewYork established 2090.

I found myself yesterday, today and tomorrow.  I found a demi-god (as per ancient definitions).  What do I win?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on September 12, 2018, 07:10:57 AM
I found myself yesterday, today and tomorrow.  I found a demi-god (as per ancient definitions).  What do I win?
You get a Bugs Bunny comi...............er, bible. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 13, 2018, 11:04:16 PM
You get a Bugs Bunny comi...............er, bible.

And your anger tantrums remind me of the Tasmanian Devil (sometimes).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Speaking of habitability elsewhere -- models suggest multiple ways that Proxima Centauri b, even though tidally locked, could be habitable.

Needless to say, they had to assume an atmosphere and an ocean (nearly a given before postulating any sort of life).  What's interesting is that if Proxima Centauri b does have them, there are multiple ways a stable, habitable environment could exist on a tidally locked world with an eleven-day "year", ranging from a ring of habitability between the too-hot area with Proxima perpetually at zenith and the too-cold dark side, to a dynamic water world with sufficient convection to keep at least some of the dark side warm enough for habitability.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on September 14, 2018, 07:20:04 AM
And your anger tantrums remind me of the Tasmanian Devil (sometimes).
You consider that a temper tantrum??  I see, you needed to get Taz in there somehow.  I do like him; have a bobble head Taz by my computer.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 14, 2018, 12:24:04 PM
You consider that a temper tantrum??  I see, you needed to get Taz in there somehow.  I do like him; have a bobble head Taz by my computer.

That doesn't surprise me in the least.  Then I think of people I know, I see everything I have interacted with them over, integration, not differentiation.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on September 14, 2018, 12:46:18 PM
That doesn't surprise me in the least.  Then I think of people I know, I see everything I have interacted with them over, integration, not differentiation.
Um..................okay. 

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 14, 2018, 03:30:39 PM
Um..................okay.

Math joke and liberal joke.

And no, while Gaia is an interesting idea, I am interested in the human infestation primarily.  Certainly ecologically minded neo-pagans should be into the worship of Gaia.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on September 14, 2018, 06:54:39 PM
Math joke and liberal joke.

And no, while Gaia is an interesting idea, I am interested in the human infestation primarily.  Certainly ecologically minded neo-pagans should be into the worship fo Gaia.
Why can't something like Gaia be acknowledged to exist (if it does) without having to be worshipped? Why this emphasis on worship?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 14, 2018, 07:00:28 PM
Why can't something like Gaia be acknowledged to exist (if it does) without having to be worshipped? Why this emphasis on worship?

If it is bigger than you, you worship it.  Otherwise Bubba gon' smack you around some more!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I worship nothing, since nothing is the only thing worthy of my worship.
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 14, 2018, 07:08:03 PM
I worship nothing, since nothing is the only thing worthy of my worship.
Is nothing sacred?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found