News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

This is huge: *current* liquid water on Mars.

Started by trdsf, July 25, 2018, 03:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 12, 2018, 06:53:40 PM
They just need to spin, and voila! gravity (sort of).
And the dynamic stresses on the outer ring of a wheel-type will be HUGE. You could brace it ten ways from Sunday and I wouldn't get on it. A spinning barrel would require many times the amount of material.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Well, I'm no engineer, so I'll take your word for it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 12, 2018, 07:40:54 PM
Well, I'm no engineer, so I'll take your word for it.
I'm not an engineer, but I did hang out with them when I was at Purdue. And I was an engineer in the Navy for twenty years.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 12, 2018, 06:53:40 PM
They just need to spin, and voila! gravity (sort of).

And one terrorist with a bee-bee gun, and instant people sucked out into space.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 13, 2018, 03:55:13 PM
"How fast can you run?"

"How scared am I?"

Space doesn't literally suck, the air inside the habitat blows.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 12, 2018, 02:42:16 PM
With regard to the lack of a magnetic field, I posted earlier in this thread about a theoretical way to provide Mars with one without re-melting the core.

It's mega-engineering, but it's theoretically possible within this century.

If a magnetosphere could be provided for Mars, I'll enthusiastically allow for an atmosphere.  I have my doubts though.  But I never claim that problems can't be overcome.  "Someday", we might land on the small liquid metallic surface of Jupiter.  But I want to see HOW first.

I am reminded of a supervisor who used to ask "can a computer do that".  Well probably, eventually.  How much funding and how much time is the question.  Who knows WHAT we can do given money, interest, and time?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 05:04:51 AM
If a magnetosphere could be provided for Mars, I'll enthusiastically allow for an atmosphere.  I have my doubts though.  But I never claim that problems can't be overcome.  "Someday", we might land on the small liquid metallic surface of Jupiter.  But I want to see HOW first.

I am reminded of a supervisor who used to ask "can a computer do that".  Well probably, eventually.  How much funding and how much time is the question.  Who knows WHAT we can do given money, interest, and time?

That is what all irresponsible governments and plutocrats say.  Money is no object.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Every project manager knows there are 3 parts  to any task (Omnes tres projects habere partes, as Iulius might have not said).   Funding, time and quality.  You can set any 2 but not all 3 at once.  Managers are idiots who think that all 3 can be defined by fiat.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 27, 2018, 04:19:05 PM
Every project manager knows there are 3 parts  to any task (Omnes tres projects habere partes, as Iulius might have not said).   Funding, time and quality.  You can set any 2 but not all 3 at once.  Managers are idiots who think that all 3 can be defined by fiat.
"Do you want it good or do  you want it fast?"
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 27, 2018, 04:31:19 PM
"Do you want it good or do  you want it fast?"

Sounds like a question in a combined Wendys and McDonalds...

Unbeliever

Why terraform another planet when we could just terraform Earth? I think Neil De Grasse Tyson said that.
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 27, 2018, 05:02:28 PM
Why terraform another planet when we could just terraform Earth? I think Neil De Grasse Tyson said that.
We should do both. All our eggs in one basket, a recipe for extinction.
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

So? Why does anyone care if we go extinct? The universe will be just fine if we're no longer existent.
God Not Found