News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

This is huge: *current* liquid water on Mars.

Started by trdsf, July 25, 2018, 03:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2018, 07:50:55 AM
Mention it on Facebook.  Everyone trusts Facebook.  LOL!

Ooh, ooh, say that TRUMP named it Lake Hillary!

Hope you didn't loose a wad of cash with Super-Zuckerberg last week.  Facebook is a guaranteed investment!  Just like Tesla.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: ferdmonger on August 01, 2018, 09:50:44 PM
I hear Elon Musk in doing OK.

Ah, not his finances ... he was so hard up, he was asking for a loan from Zuckerberg ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Don't touch that water. Be forewarned. I watched Doctor Who. I know what happens next.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

I think we'll have to get over our planetary chauvinism if we really expect to colonize space in a big way. Any planet we want to live on will have to be terraformed, which is very expensive and time consuming. It's a lot cheaper to build our own habitats that can be as comfortable as we'd like them to be.

God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 03, 2018, 04:06:07 PM
I think we'll have to get over our planetary chauvinism if we really expect to colonize space in a big way. Any planet we want to live on will have to be terraformed, which is very expensive and time consuming. It's a lot cheaper to build our own habitats that can be as comfortable as we'd like them to be.

We'll have to pound ice balls into Mars and generate greenhouse gases.

We can live in the lava tubes, but I'd colonize Valles Marineris first, the deepest parts, over three miles below the surface, will get the first dense atmospheres.  Damn up a few deep spots and you have a "Hab" without a roof.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

That could work for a small number of people, but I doubt many could live there. Maybe a few thousand?
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 03, 2018, 05:19:27 PM
That could work for a small number of people, but I doubt many could live there. Maybe a few thousand?
You do realize that Valles Marineris is the length of the US, from New York to LA, with numerous side canyons? We start with small canyons, only a hundred miles long, and expand as the atmosphere gets thicker. We'd alway be below the mean surface level of Mars, so the air wouldn't "get away". Living in the cliff walls make instant "skyscrapers" and radiation shelters.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

So where does the new atmosphere come from, comets? How hard would it be to capture enough comets to add a significant amount of nitrogen/oxygen to Mars? How long would that take? How much would it cost?
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 03, 2018, 05:34:21 PM
So where does the new atmosphere come from, comets? How hard would it be to capture enough comets to add a significant amount of nitrogen/oxygen to Mars? How long would that take? How much would it cost?
We're terraforming a PLANET. /hint
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 03, 2018, 05:34:21 PM

More than a bankrupt humanity can afford.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 03, 2018, 05:23:21 PM
You do realize that Valles Marineris is the length of the US, from New York to LA, with numerous side canyons? We start with small canyons, only a hundred miles long, and expand as the atmosphere gets thicker. We'd alway be below the mean surface level of Mars, so the air wouldn't "get away". Living in the cliff walls make instant "skyscrapers" and radiation shelters.

Martian Anasazi ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

ferdmonger

It would be so massively cool to find a any type of microbe.

I agree it is very unlikely, but man... if we did, life is suddenly everywhere.