News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

This is huge: *current* liquid water on Mars.

Started by trdsf, July 25, 2018, 03:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on July 26, 2018, 02:15:20 PM
One step closer to making Mars viable for habitation then.
True, you can move ice in open trucks there, so the water situation seems to be resolved. Once we distill out the perchlorates, that is.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hakurei Reimu

I wouldn't mind a nice steaming cup of perchlorates...

Wait, you're talking about coffee, right? ;-)
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Unbeliever

Living on Mars is going to be a lot tougher than is generally believed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESQ1bKd7Los
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 26, 2018, 04:29:24 PMLiving on Mars is going to be a lot tougher than is generally believed:
Yeah, but ya gotta start somewhere.  If humanity doesn't take these first few steps out, we might never leave the cradle.  No rush or anything, but have you noticed how unstable things are at home?  What happens when the unthinkable happens?

Unbeliever

We're too late. We can't possibly colonize Mars soon enough to save any significant fraction of Earth's biosphere. And we'd need the biosphere, we can't just haul a bunch of humans to Mars and expect them to survive.
God Not Found

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 26, 2018, 06:14:52 PM
We're too late. We can't possibly colonize Mars soon enough to save any significant fraction of Earth's biosphere. And we'd need the biosphere, we can't just haul a bunch of humans to Mars and expect them to survive.
I'm not talking full terraforming and Noah's Ark-ing the Earth, I'm just talking about have a small but permanent presence outside the Earth.  Think ISS just a lot further away.

Just the simple act of seriously attempting to make it happen might trigger some profound changes on Earth.  International cooperation.  Prioritizing science again.  Spinoff technologies like you wouldn't believe.  Looking towards the future with hope again.

And it all starts with a small step for man.

Unbeliever

Sounds good, I just think it's too optimistic. If we had a colony on Mars it could not be made self-sustaining. If the Earth were to be unable to send supplies, etc. on a regular basis the colony would die. It may not be long before the civilizations of earth will collapse, making it impossible to sustain a Mars colony.

But I'm a pessimist, so I could be wrong.
God Not Found

Mike Cl

Maybe it would be a good first step to put a permanent settlement on the moon first.  Work out some bugs and then think of Mars. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

That's an idea that may work. It seems the height of hubris to think Mars is the next step, when we've barely even been to the Moon. That's why God put it there, after all!
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

On both the Moon and Barsoom we may be living in old lava tubes. Practice on Luna so we don't have to guess on Mars.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 26, 2018, 02:15:20 PM
One step closer to making Mars viable for habitation then.

Is that you, Elon?  I am not sure even fleeing that far will help you escape your fraud.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 26, 2018, 05:40:41 PM
Tell it to Columbus, Magellan, etc.

They had air and water aplenty, and plants and animals, when they arrived.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.