News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

This is huge: *current* liquid water on Mars.

Started by trdsf, July 25, 2018, 03:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 06:53:21 AM
An atmosphere WOULDN'T be "established" on Mars without more gravity to hold it there.  I'm not sure what you mean by "the inaminate option".
You refuse to say how long it would take for the atmosphere to erode. Are you saying that it would erode faster that it could be established? If so, that's just wrong, unless you know of a mechanism I don't.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 12, 2018, 06:54:46 AM
You refuse to say how long it would take for the atmosphere to erode. Are you saying that it would erode faster that it could be established? If so, that's just wrong, unless you know of a mechanism I don't.
Yes. yes. yes. yes. yes. yes. yes. yes.  That's what I've been saying.  And I'm saying that because Mars doesn't hold an atmosphere for a reason.  No magnetosphere!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 06:57:55 AM
Yes. yes. yes. yes. yes. yes. yes. yes.  That's what I've been saying.  And I'm saying that because Mars doesn't hold an atmosphere for a reason.  No magnetosphere!
So, after a few billion years the atmosphere is completely gone, right?
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 12, 2018, 07:01:16 AM
So, after a few billion years the atmosphere is completely gone, right?

It is gone as fast as you create it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 07:02:28 AM
It is gone as fast as you create it.
Nonsense. If that were true there would be no atmosphere on Mars now. Instead, after billions of years, we still have some atmosphere. NOT INSTANT LOSS. That's absurd.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 12, 2018, 07:21:35 AM
Nonsense. If that were true there would be no atmosphere on Mars now. Instead, after billions of years, we still have some atmosphere. NOT INSTANT LOSS. That's absurd.

There is virtually no atmosphere on Mars.  Is that what you have been basing all this discussion on?  The Mars atmosphere is about 0.6% of Earth's mean sea level pressure because that is all the planet's gravity can hold!  Mars can't hold the atmosphere you want to create for even a few years.    Everything I search says it just CAN'T WORK...

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 07:42:08 AM
There is virtually no atmosphere on Mars.  Is that what you have been basing all this discussion on?  The Mars atmosphere is about 0.6% of Earth's mean sea level pressure because that is all the planet's gravity can hold!  Mars can't hold the atmosphere you want to create for even a few years.    Everything I search says it just CAN'T WORK...

It currently has not much atmosphere.

You mention "Mars can't hold the atmosphere you want to create for even a few years." but I don't see a reference.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 12, 2018, 07:45:48 AM
It currently has not much atmosphere.

You mention "Mars can't hold the atmosphere you want to create for even a few years." but I don't see a reference.

You made the previous claim it could for billions of years.  I don't have to prove that.

So prove it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Mars still has an atmosphere. QED

So, if we establish an atmosphere there, what do your sources say will be the lifespan of that? "Instantly" is a non-starter.

BTW, have you met Robert Zubrin? http://www.marssociety.org/home/about/mars-direct/

PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 06:04:30 AM
I like you, but apparently I have to repeat myself a lot too.  You can't create an atmosphere on Mars that will last any length of time unless the core increases in mass and therefore the gravity of the planet to hold any atmosphere we create by any means. 

Every method of creating an atmosphere on Mars amenable to humans would be very temporary unless the mass of the planet can hold what is created.  Surface solutions will all be temporary, if not being lost to space as fast as created. 

You can't get over the problem that Mars just isn't massive enough to hold an atmosphere.  That's why it doesn't have one suitable to humans.
The reason it doesn't have a substantial atmosphere is because it doesn't have a magnetic field.

It has sufficient gravity to hold a nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere; it can't hold hydrogen, helium, water vapor (although it can have pressure and temperature high enough to retain water).  The following diagram shows the gravity and pressure relationship for maintaining an atmosphere; anything below the world can, absent other factors, be retained.

This is also why Martian methane is such an interesting find: it really shouldn't have any left by now, which means there's a current source.  Methane is a byproduct of some biological processes; it's also a byproduct of physical ones, but finding it at least leaves Martian life in the 'possible' column.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

With regard to the lack of a magnetic field, I posted earlier in this thread about a theoretical way to provide Mars with one without re-melting the core.

It's mega-engineering, but it's theoretically possible within this century.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Why even do all that work to terraform a planet when we can just build orbital habitats to suit us? We don't need planets!

The High Frontier: Human Colonies in Space
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 12, 2018, 05:33:17 PM
Why even do all that work to terraform a planet when we can just build orbital habitats to suit us? We don't need planets!

The High Frontier: Human Colonies in Space
If they have anti-gravity, sure, that might work. But I think it will be a while before Dr. Sumgui has the bugs out of that system.
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

They just need to spin, and voila! gravity (sort of).
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman