Activists demand more social justice in Medieval Studies

Started by pr126, July 24, 2018, 01:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Quote“The first is that there seems to be a bias against, or lack of interest in, sessions that are self-critical of medieval studies, or focused on the politics of the field in the present, especially relative to issues of decoloniality, globalization, and anti-racism,” the letter explains, adding that the second concern relates to an alleged “lack of transparency around the process by which ICMS programming decisions are made.”

The letter, which has been signed by more than 600 people as of press time, argues that by rejecting workshops such as “How to Be a White Ally in Medieval Studies 101,” “Toxic Medievalisms,” and “Intersectionality and the Medieval Romance,” the ICMS organizers are hurting scholars of color and excluding their perspectives.

“The rejection of multiple sessions co-sponsored by Medievalists of Color (MOC) in particular minimizes the intellectual guidance that scholars of color would provide at the conference, when these scholars are already severely underrepresented in the field,” the letter protests.

Other workshops rejected by ICMS organizers included “Toxic Medievalisms: Misuses and Abuses of the Medieval in Contemporary Culture,” “Race and the Medieval,” “Translations of Power: Race, Class, and Gender Intersectionality in the Middle Ages I and II,” and more.

LOL.

Some of the comments:

You cannot make this shit up. Straight out of Babylonbee.
Like · Reply · 6 · 4d

Ted Hales
Yes, those SJW loons should boycott. They should stay away from legitimate scholarly fields and not corrupt them with their racist, sexist insanity.
Like · Reply · 6 · 4d

Jonathan Wotka
I'm confused, because I've been told conclusively by many a leftist and SJW that the concept of whiteness, and racism, in general, was invented somewhere around the 16th/17th centuries. Prior to that, concepts of "whiteness" as an artifact were social issues.

?
Like · Reply · 2 · 4d

Glen Wishard
The left reduces everything - everything - to the same set of simple-minded formulas. You could print them on the back of a cereal box and the dumbest kid in the country could memorize them in ten minutes over a bowl of Froot Loops.
Like · Reply · 1 · 4d

Doug Wenzel
These folks are not only fools, because the Medieval Period really refers to the European experience, but they also obviously know nothing about the behavior of empires contemporary to that period around the world. Arabs spreading Islam were subjugating and enslaving many; The Aztecs demanded yearly tribute in the form of victims for sacrifice; the Incas consolidated power by forcibly re-settling the newly conquered tribes to the center of their empire, and putting trusted vassals on the periphery, etc.

I could go on, but peace, love and understanding while they all sang Kumbaya had nothing to do with it. Furthermore, around the world, people of color were as likely to be conquerors and enslavers, as they were to be the conquered and enslaved.

Mark Walker
Preventing the inclusion of the silly SJW's is worth losing the money. If they are allowed to pervert historical analysis with fake intersectionality studies, it will be the beginning of the end for valid research. Don't let the racists inside the tent.
Like · Reply · 4 · 3d

Harry Spitz
Tell 'em "Bye.'
If they have gone that looney, they won't be missed, however 'prominent' they used to be.

Baruch

History and Economics belongs to the Marxists ... don'tchaknow?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

I hope they don't. But women studies will ruin everything.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 24, 2018, 04:52:52 PM
I hope they don't. But women studies will ruin everything.

Too late!  They started admitting women to colleges in the 19th century!

Feminist = female communist.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on July 24, 2018, 01:13:04 PM

LOL.

Some of the comments:

You cannot make this shit up. Straight out of Babylonbee.
Like · Reply · 6 · 4d

Ted Hales
Yes, those SJW loons should boycott. They should stay away from legitimate scholarly fields and not corrupt them with their racist, sexist insanity.
Like · Reply · 6 · 4d

Jonathan Wotka
I'm confused, because I've been told conclusively by many a leftist and SJW that the concept of whiteness, and racism, in general, was invented somewhere around the 16th/17th centuries. Prior to that, concepts of "whiteness" as an artifact were social issues.

?
Like · Reply · 2 · 4d

Glen Wishard
The left reduces everything - everything - to the same set of simple-minded formulas. You could print them on the back of a cereal box and the dumbest kid in the country could memorize them in ten minutes over a bowl of Froot Loops.
Like · Reply · 1 · 4d

Doug Wenzel
These folks are not only fools, because the Medieval Period really refers to the European experience, but they also obviously know nothing about the behavior of empires contemporary to that period around the world. Arabs spreading Islam were subjugating and enslaving many; The Aztecs demanded yearly tribute in the form of victims for sacrifice; the Incas consolidated power by forcibly re-settling the newly conquered tribes to the center of their empire, and putting trusted vassals on the periphery, etc.

I could go on, but peace, love and understanding while they all sang Kumbaya had nothing to do with it. Furthermore, around the world, people of color were as likely to be conquerors and enslavers, as they were to be the conquered and enslaved.

Mark Walker
Preventing the inclusion of the silly SJW's is worth losing the money. If they are allowed to pervert historical analysis with fake intersectionality studies, it will be the beginning of the end for valid research. Don't let the racists inside the tent.
Like · Reply · 4 · 3d

Harry Spitz
Tell 'em "Bye.'
If they have gone that looney, they won't be missed, however 'prominent' they used to be.

Let's note that those comments were not made by people here.  If you want to engage in any sort of civil discussion, you really need to keep it to members.  Oh sure, quote others you agree or disagree with, and discuss the meaning of what they say, but don't act like the are people here.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 25, 2018, 02:08:02 AM
Let's note that those comments were not made by people here.  If you want to engage in any sort of civil discussion, you really need to keep it to members.  Oh sure, quote others you agree or disagree with, and discuss the meaning of what they say, but don't act like the are people here.

Wow, that is the most self aware thought by anyone posting here, that I ever saw.  Breaking the 4th wall ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_wall
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.