For the fighting men and women of every nation/tribe ...

Started by Baruch, July 22, 2018, 11:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Estonian SS troops in 1944 ... defending Estonia, on the losing side.  We now have NATO troops in Estonia, in direct threat to St Petersburg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4COtK79Ec

P-38 Lightning, prettiest, deadliest US plane of that era ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNNEj5-6aOk
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 22, 2018, 12:30:13 PM
Classic Navy action from WW I ... Battle of Jutland, crossing-the-T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_UryFjKUsM
Most likely I am the only person on this board--or many others--who played The Battle of Jutland, by Avalon Hill.  It did not have a board, but the floor (ocean) and used rulers to guide movement--great looking markers for the various actual ships involved in the battle.  Took hours to play.  But that was what AH was about--great(est) producer of board war games.  But they also had other types, all good.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Very hard, to simulate the fog of war (literally with the navies).  Today it is shooting fish in a barrel ;-(  New anti-ship weapons are very ... deadly.  Hence the danger of nuclear escalation.  I used to play a one-person modern navy game on my old Mac ... North Atlantic ... NATO vs Soviet Union.  Pretty much the same old rules ... if you have air superiority, count only on your submarines, and only if the opponent doesn't know where they are hiding.

WW I, WW II, modern ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQK6hH5-nwU

Jazzed up, for game play, of course.  Multiplayer teams, with fog.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 22, 2018, 12:51:01 PM
Most likely I am the only person on this board--or many others--who played The Battle of Jutland, by Avalon Hill. 
Ahem.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 22, 2018, 01:37:21 PM
Ahem.
My bad--so you've played it.  I do wish I know what I did with that game; now that I've mentioned it, it would be fun to drag it out and go another game.  You must have played others, then.  My favs, back in the day, were D-Day, Tactics II, Panzer Blitz, Gettysburg, Rail Baron and Facts-n-Five.  Oh yes, and Dune, the hotel building one, and had Starship Troopers, but never played it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hakurei Reimu

Crossing the T is discredited nowadays â€" it's askin' for a paddlin'. Whatever a crossing-T can do, an angled cross can do, and you don't expose as much of your profile to oncoming fire, and your armor is angled against AP shots.

Yes, I do follow The Mighty Jingles. Why do you ask?
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 22, 2018, 05:19:13 PM
Crossing the T is discredited nowadays â€" it's askin' for a paddlin'. Whatever a crossing-T can do, an angled cross can do, and you don't expose as much of your profile to oncoming fire, and your armor is angled against AP shots.

Yes, I do follow The Mighty Jingles. Why do you ask?

Kudos if you follow The Mighty Jingles ;-)  In the age of sail, you were lucky just to close within cannon range.  And with Jutland, they didn't have much naval air forces yet.  So everything still moved pretty slow, if not dependent on wind.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 22, 2018, 01:45:25 PM
My bad--so you've played it.  I do wish I know what I did with that game; now that I've mentioned it, it would be fun to drag it out and go another game.  You must have played others, then.  My favs, back in the day, were D-Day, Tactics II, Panzer Blitz, Gettysburg, Rail Baron and Facts-n-Five.  Oh yes, and Dune, the hotel building one, and had Starship Troopers, but never played it.
Battle of the Bulge was my favorite.

I connected with "Jutland" because I played it in a WWI barracks that was still in use in 1969. My team was kicking back one evening with all those pieces strung out on the floor in the "rec room". The base commander walked in and eyeballed the setup up. "Keep the battlecruisers in reserve!" and he walked out.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 22, 2018, 06:39:01 PM
Battle of the Bulge was my favorite.

I connected with "Jutland" because I played it in a WWI barracks that was still in use in 1969. My team was kicking back one evening with all those pieces strung out on the floor in the "rec room". The base commander walked in and eyeballed the setup up. "Keep the battlecruisers in reserve!" and he walked out.
My very fav was D-Day.  But I was talked into joining my local Nat. Guard unit because its commander lived next door to me for awhile, and we played a few games of Panzer Blitz. We were playing a game and my service came up; told him I was in Army Intel. and I told him that I did not carry a rifle and did not want to be infantry.  So, he offered to make me the photo guy, and if I went to NBC school, I would then be made the NBC NCO and in charge of the unit's training.  So, I accepted. 

Gawdzilla Sama

My job on shore duty always involved looking at pictures.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 22, 2018, 07:36:35 PM
My job on shore duty always involved looking at pictures.

Lots of girl spies on the beaches, right? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 22, 2018, 01:45:25 PM

I have AH Gettysburg, Origins Of WWI and some other about WWII in almost pristine condition.  I had a friend as a teen who could play Risk, and tried Gettysburg once, but I never never found anyone to play the really complicated ones.  I did find a defunct game club locally 15 years ago but the only member I could find said he would never play an AH game. 

If someone else had the same game, it might be possible to do it online.  I sure would like to prepare for Pickett's Charge or do it myself...  Just a thought.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

I put two batteries of cannon on top of Big Round Top once. My opponent was freaking.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 25, 2018, 12:04:45 PM
I put two batteries of cannon on top of Big Round Top once. My opponent was freaking.

That was sure a good place.  And on Little Round top with infantry shooting downhill.

We have GOT to figure out a way to play AH Gettysburg among ourselves somehow...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!