Around 300 Native American Women Disappear Each Year

Started by Shiranu, July 21, 2018, 05:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/21/627567789/doctoral-student-compiles-database-of-indigenous-women-who-ve-gone-missing?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180721

QuoteAs many as 300 indigenous women go missing or are killed under suspicious circumstances every year in Canada and the U.S., but the exact number is unknown because the Federal Bureau of Investigation isn't really tracking the numbers.

Lucchesi is a doctoral student at the University of Lethbridge in Canada now. Back when she was working on her master's thesis, she tried to find the total number of indigenous women who were either killed or went missing in U.S. and Canada.

"After doing some Googling, I realized nobody has the right number," she says.

Even if a local police report is filed some of those cases never make it to the FBI's crime database. This is because there's no requirement to file those reports nationally unless the person is a juvenile. Lucchesi says this allows many native women to fall through the cracks.

So she's creating her own database by filing public record requests with local law enforcement agencies. So far she's documented more than 2,000 cases across both the U.S. and Canada. Most occurred over the last 20 years.

Luccessi says she's shocked at how much data is missing.

"And really, it's not just data," she says. "That's someone's relative that's collecting dust somewhere and no one is being held accountable to remember or honor the violence that was perpetrated against her."

Many people actually believe that Native Americans are treated fairly, but if you look all the way from Canada to Chile you will see this is anything but true. Having lived in New Mexico as well as focusing on Native American archaeology I've seen first hand the conditions that Native Americans live in, and it is appalling that for hundreds of years we Colonial Americans have made so little progress at recognizing them as equal human beings.

This is frankly one of the "nicer" articles about how they are treated by Western governments.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mermaid

Isn't it just gut wrenching? I couldn't believe it.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on July 21, 2018, 06:33:59 PM
Isn't it just gut wrenching? I couldn't believe it.

So Canada is evil now?  No free medical care for you!

Shiranu ... crime reporter.  Give us a report on every crime against a woman ... in the world today.

2000 children go missing in the US, each day.  Gotta get a bigger hair shirt.

Not that I am in favor of hurting anyone .. but this is why a Flaming Liberal resembles the Human Torch guy.  Too hot to handle.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Baruch on July 21, 2018, 10:11:15 PM
So Canada is evil now?  No free medical care for you!

Shiranu ... crime reporter.  Give us a report on every crime against a woman ... in the world today.

2000 children go missing in the US, each day.  Gotta get a bigger hair shirt.

Not that I am in favor of hurting anyone .. but this is why a Flaming Liberal resembles the Human Torch guy.  Too hot to handle.
Stop it.

Baruch

Go to Canada and help those ladies out.  Are you racist?  Or just lazy?  Of course there are thousands of Americans who need help too, many of them Native American.  I have been helping with physical support and money, one Native American for several years now.  He is a Lakota spirit warrior however.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Baruch on July 22, 2018, 09:28:42 AM
Go to Canada and help those ladies out.  Are you racist?  Or just lazy?  Of course there are thousands of Americans who need help too, many of them Native American.  I have been helping with physical support and money, one Native American for several years now.  He is a Lakota spirit warrior however.
Seriously, stop.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Baruch on July 22, 2018, 01:11:55 PM
OK, but don't take it so personally.

She won't because she's a Feminazi like shiranu.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 22, 2018, 04:42:14 PM
She won't because she's a Feminazi like shiranu.

Her posts are so brief, I don't know her very well.  The most I can tell is she "seems" to be a woman ...

I wouldn't say that all "bleeding heart" liberals (called Abolitionists in New England circa 1860) are Feminist, though American Feminism starts in New England too.  Shiranu is definitely "bleeding heart" ... which is why I would think given power, he would guillotine a lot of people.  Not to worry though ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

I have a friend which is a transgender woman who soon as she came out was PC as fuck and a a femenazi who ignored her wife's feelings on the matter and broke up with her a bunch of times because her views were more important. She's now a politician with a wife that has mixed feelings, is depressed, and is supportive to a degree. My transgender friend has pushed her fmanazi agenda at all of us towards the point where we look at hr friendship with dislike while her wife only hangs up because a damsel in distress syndrome.

The irony is amazing.

Munch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 22, 2018, 09:39:20 PM
I have a friend which is a transgender woman who soon as she came out was PC as fuck and a a femenazi who ignored her wife's feelings on the matter and broke up with her a bunch of times because her views were more important. She's now a politician with a wife that has mixed feelings, is depressed, and is supportive to a degree. My transgender friend has pushed her fmanazi agenda at all of us towards the point where we look at hr friendship with dislike while her wife only hangs up because a damsel in distress syndrome.

The irony is amazing.

I'm a gay man who's been to pride marches, worked volunteer for sexual health awareness clubs for young gays and lesbians, and given my share of money to charities for such rights over the years.
However, today, looking at what 'PC culture' can degrade to just disgusts me as much as the anti gay establishments have done. If you have one group saying "we need to ban all fags and lesbos and nigros!", while on the other side you have the opposite group yelling " we need to ban all straight white men!", I don't see any difference between the two groups.
I just find it funny with those still in denial that feminazis are a thing, because someone self identifying as a feminist can't imagine their side could have a bad side to their political ideology.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 22, 2018, 09:39:20 PM

The irony is amazing.

Ex smokers are like that ... to people who still smoke.  Also the LBTGASD ... group is deliberately politicized by the D party.  They need all the unusual people they can find ... dwarves even ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on July 21, 2018, 05:45:55 PM
https://www.npr.org/2018/07/21/627567789/doctoral-student-compiles-database-of-indigenous-women-who-ve-gone-missing?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180721

Many people actually believe that Native Americans are treated fairly, but if you look all the way from Canada to Chile you will see this is anything but true. Having lived in New Mexico as well as focusing on Native American archaeology I've seen first hand the conditions that Native Americans live in, and it is appalling that for hundreds of years we Colonial Americans have made so little progress at recognizing them as equal human beings.

This is frankly one of the "nicer" articles about how they are treated by Western governments.

OK, I'm going to get you and surely others a lot annoyed.  I wish all native american treaties were suddenly absolved and reservations eliminated and all were forced to become just regular citizens of the US.  The idea of multitudes of small "sovereign" locations in the US is kind of logically idiotic in a modern age. 

It just causes a lot of problems.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!