News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Biblical contradictions.

Started by Mousetrap, July 20, 2018, 08:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 21, 2018, 02:00:43 PM
Yeah, me too.  It was one of the first anti-christian books I'd read.  Loved it.

Some people follow 21st century celebrities (Trump) others follow 19th century celebrities (Twain).  I like Twain a lot better.\\

His actual politics matches yours ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Twain

My favorite work of his is ... The Mysterious Stranger .. which was made into a live action video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suBwgkhNIKA

it was also mentioned in the clay-mation "Adventures of Mark Twain".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I think my favorite Twain is probably the War Prayer:

https://warprayer.org/
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 21, 2018, 02:20:25 PM
Some people follow 21st century celebrities (Trump) others follow 19th century celebrities (Twain).  I like Twain a lot better.\\

His actual politics matches yours ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Twain

My favorite work of his is ... The Mysterious Stranger .. which was made into a live action video

it was also mentioned in the clay-mation "Adventures of Mark Twain".
Yeah, Twain does match my politics--which is why I like him so much, I guess.  I've read most of his stuff, but not that one.  I guess I have a task to follow up on now.  My fav is still Letters From Earth.  I live a couple of hours from Angels Camp and have been there several time--but I have yet to catch the frog jumping contest yet.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I was wondering whether they still have frog jumping contests, so I looked it up, and apparently they do!

https://www.frogtown.org/untitled-cz6x
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 21, 2018, 02:35:38 PM
I was wondering whether they still have frog jumping contests, so I looked it up, and apparently they do!

https://www.frogtown.org/untitled-cz6x

Mark Twain slept here, not George Washington ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Twain#/media/File:Mark_Twain_Cabin_Exterior_MVC-082X.jpg
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 21, 2018, 02:23:25 PM
I think my favorite Twain is probably the War Prayer:

https://warprayer.org/

The US Civil War was absolutely a Christian war.  The Abolitionists were profoundly religious people, as were their opponents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy6AOGRsR80

Though Karl Marx did support the Union, as a British subject, as London correspondent for the NY Times ... for his own irreligious reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxhde_zWCjs

Not the most famous Confederate song, but intended to be the new national hymn ... sounds rather Baptist to me.

The American Revolution, War of 1812 and Civil War made the US what it is, great national traumas.  G-d Bless America, and defeat to all our opponents, and victory to us and all our allies.  Yes, America is imperfect ... make it better or go away.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mousetrap

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 20, 2018, 03:55:40 PM
If god exists, @Mousetrap , why can't i find my fucking car keys?

Figure that one out, dumbass

I figured it out!
He's playing a prank on you!
:cool:
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.

Baruch

Nice summary of atheist positions ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIok6o4PXKQ

I am a theist that agrees with all 10, but then I am a "heretic".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mousetrap

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 20, 2018, 01:42:23 PM
Well, according to  1Corinthians 14:33 "God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints."

For someone who's not the author of confusion his word is the most confusing work ever written. If not there wouldn't be 33,000 different sects of Christianity, all claiming to be based on "God's word." But of course no God ever wrote any part of the Bible, only confused humans did.
You should actually add one more Christian faith.
Atheism!
The two Straw man arguments posed by you are .
No 1 (2 folded)
1. You see, all these Christian denominations are not, as you would like it to be perceived as each and every one totally different, but very much the same.
They all believe in the Bible, the crucifixion , the Resurrection, and ascension of Jesus. But, obvious an atheist will call Mormon, JW, and Unitarian "Christian" to further their confusion to sooth their concience!
2. Since when are different denominations evidence of Biblical inerrancy?
Number 2
1. Christians have never claimed that God sort of dictated the Bible, as Muslims claim about the Quran.
This will be delusion, because we know that the Bible contains a record of Prophets, Historical events surrounding prophets' life, as well as a recording of the Words of God spoken to prophets. So where did you get the notion that the Bible is 100% only the words of God?
You are confusing Islam and Christianity.

Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...

Mousetrap

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 20, 2018, 01:49:10 PM
But God also is not the author of peace, either:

Matthew 10:34-37 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."
Another straw man attack.
Do you realize that what Jesus here spoke here has nothing to do with calling Christians up into violence?
What you have here is the way your parents, siblings, friends, children and countrymen will treat Christians when they reveal that they will not worship any other god, such as the Roman gods, but Jesus. You deliberately went and accuse God of violence in shortsightedness. And what Jesus said here was exactly what happened. The Roman empire had more than 2 million Christians slaughtered in 300 years, because they refused to worship the Greco Roman religions.
Their parents, children, spouses, friends and families thought they did God a favour when they handed these people over the the authorities to be tortured and murdered.
And If you want to accuse God for allowing this violence to these people, you really should try to find out why God allowed this to happen.
And, what difference are you and these people that would like to see Christians killed in your utopia of atheism. I hope you do not under-scribe the same mentality.

Quote from: Unbeliever linkLuke 12:51-53
"Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law."
And the wonder of it all is this:
Why this hatred towards people that simply say they will worship Jesus only.
These persecutors hated the fact that Christians did not participate in their temple worship, temple prostitution, speaking out against theft, list, murder, torture, lies.....and so on.
And now you want to put guilt on God for this?
Naaa, please tell me why you hate the teachings of Jesus, before you accuse him as you did here.
He did nothing to you, but ....(I refrained from preaching the Gospel to you)

Mousetrap

Quote from: ferdmonger on July 20, 2018, 08:02:34 PM
Wow Mousetrap.  Getting all literalist on us eh?  Do you have children?  Do you beat them black and blue to cleanse the sin?  Do you make sure your slaves obey your commands?  Lived in a fish for a few days and got burped up?  Talked to any donkeys?

Cripes.  Just stop.
And some more Straw Men attacks with total disregard for any investigation on the facts.
Yes I have children, No I do not beat them,  God never instructed us to treat them this way, and Jesus actually mentions that angels reports daily to how we treat children. As for slavery, never does YHWH allow slavery. I made a study about the Bible and slavery, and you will be surprised to see that this allegation is one of ignorance, and not what YHWH wants.
I find your running from one allegation to the next as evidence that you do not want to hear what the Bible says, but only what you want to create as some sort of impression on what you thing the Bible should and should not say.
Talking Donkeys?
It was not a donkey talking, but an angel.
Guess what the result is about Baalam and Baalak on this narrative that was written in the Bible alone for more than 3 500 years.
Archaeological evidence was unearthed where Baalam's advice was recorded to the people who hired him to curse Israel.
Do I say that this now proves the Bible true?
No, It simply proves that the criticism about a donkey talking should be better handled as just mythological stories for atheists to laugh at.

Mousetrap

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 21, 2018, 02:06:21 PM
I just found it on-line:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/aor/twain/letearth.htm

I don't know how much time I'll have to read it, but I can do a bit each day, I hope.
Say you!
I loved the book.
Great satire.
Have you ever read CS Lewis.
Mere Christianity!
Great facts!

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 23, 2018, 09:12:50 AM
Another straw man attack.
Do you realize that what Jesus here spoke here has nothing to do with calling Christians up into violence?
What you have here is the way your parents, siblings, friends, children and countrymen will treat Christians when they reveal that they will not worship any other god, such as the Roman gods, but Jesus. You deliberately went and accuse God of violence in shortsightedness. And what Jesus said here was exactly what happened. The Roman empire had more than 2 million Christians slaughtered in 300 years, because they refused to worship the Greco Roman religions.
Their parents, children, spouses, friends and families thought they did God a favour when they handed these people over the the authorities to be tortured and murdered.
And If you want to accuse God for allowing this violence to these people, you really should try to find out why God allowed this to happen.
And, what difference are you and these people that would like to see Christians killed in your utopia of atheism. I hope you do not under-scribe the same mentality.
And the wonder of it all is this:
Why this hatred towards people that simply say they will worship Jesus only.
These persecutors hated the fact that Christians did not participate in their temple worship, temple prostitution, speaking out against theft, list, murder, torture, lies.....and so on.
And now you want to put guilt on God for this?
Naaa, please tell me why you hate the teachings of Jesus, before you accuse him as you did here.
He did nothing to you, but ....(I refrained from preaching the Gospel to you)

I'm certainly not accusing God of any of this, since God doesn't exist. No more than I would accuse Santa Claus of not bringing me any Christmas presents, since Santa Claus certainly does not exist.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 23, 2018, 10:20:36 AM
Say you!
I loved the book.
Great satire.
Have you ever read CS Lewis.
Mere Christianity!
Great facts!
Yeah, I've read it, but it was more then 30 years ago, so I don't remember it well. I'd consider reading it again if I had the time, but I doubt that I'll have the time any time soon.
God Not Found

Hydra009

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 23, 2018, 10:20:36 AMHave you ever read CS Lewis.
Mere Christianity!
Great facts!
Imo, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was more grounded in reality.