News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Biblical contradictions.

Started by Mousetrap, July 20, 2018, 08:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 06, 2018, 05:03:18 AM
I suggest, Jason, stay away from movies such as Halloween, and get into comedies a bit.
This might teach you comedy when someone produces it to you.

So this is just a joke to you?  Here was me thinking that you were taking all that religious claptrap seriously!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mousetrap

Quote from: Jason78 on August 07, 2018, 04:39:11 PM
So this is just a joke to you?  Here was me thinking that you were taking all that religious claptrap seriously!
And I thought Tarzan could swing from branch to branch with ease.
How the heck can a mousetrap get to you?

Closer observation, and a better bait.
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Baruch on August 07, 2018, 04:13:52 AM
Religion isn't harmless.  Chemistry (science) isn't harmless.  On the basis of harm you want to ban X, but not ban Y.  Y is that?
Strawman. I don't want to ban either. I want to regulate both. We regulate what chemicals we put out, but we don't regulate what religions spew.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on August 08, 2018, 08:21:59 AM
Strawman. I don't want to ban either. I want to regulate both. We regulate what chemicals we put out, but we don't regulate what religions spew.

I am sure the Chinese Communist party supports your position.  Only Mao's Little Red Book allowed on Twitter.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on August 08, 2018, 08:21:59 AM
Also, the solution to both kinds of harm is better education.  It not only doesn't take a doctorate in chemistry to understand that mixing bleach and ammonia is bad, it doesn't take a doctorate in chemistry to understand why mixing bleach and ammonia is bad.

Similarly, it doesn't take a doctorate in philosophy specializing in ethics to know that slavery, and the oppression of women and LGBTQ people is wrong -- and even with a divinity degree and a doctorate in apologetics, there is no way to make those morally acceptable.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on August 08, 2018, 12:50:52 PM
Also, the solution to both kinds of harm is better education.  It not only doesn't take a doctorate in chemistry to understand that mixing bleach and ammonia is bad, it doesn't take a doctorate in chemistry to understand why mixing bleach and ammonia is bad.

Similarly, it doesn't take a doctorate in philosophy specializing in ethics to know that slavery, and the oppression of women and LGBTQ people is wrong -- and even with a divinity degree and a doctorate in apologetics, there is no way to make those morally acceptable.

but, but ... I find lots of things morally unacceptable, including things done by people who post here ... so ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on August 08, 2018, 12:50:52 PM
It not only doesn't take a doctorate in chemistry to understand that mixing bleach and ammonia is bad, it doesn't take a doctorate in chemistry to understand why mixing bleach and ammonia is bad.

Yeah. or bleach and vinegar, either! It makes chlorine gas.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 08, 2018, 01:38:26 PM

House wives are terrorists!  Who new?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 08, 2018, 01:38:26 PM
Don't mix cleaning products, either.  I did that playing "chemist" with a friend when I was a kid.  We had mixed a cleaning product called Soilax, no longer manufactured I think, with Linco, a bleach.  My friend stuck his nose up to it when it was bubbling and took a whiff, then ran out of the basement coughing and choking .  Then his aunt came down and raised holy Hell after the smell got upstairs.  I think it might have made chorine gas, but I was too young to recognize the smell.  I'm not sure it was chorine, but it was horrible.

Edit: Yeah chlorine.  Soilax was basically ammonia.

Baruch

Kids are junior terrorists.  Just abort them before they are even born.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on August 08, 2018, 08:09:16 PM
Kids are junior terrorists.  Just abort them before they are even born.
Yeah, it was a violent reaction too, the kind of reaction every young budding mad scientist dreams of.

Hakurei Reimu

Mixing dangerous chemicals and almost killing ourselves ten times over. Ah, good times. Good times.

Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Cavebear

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 06, 2018, 05:36:41 AM
And I can quote many people on their stance of the Bible.
Will it change the facts?
Why do you think quoting Asimov will be some hard core fact that the Bible is wrong?
First, the numbers of people supporting an idea is meaningless.  At one time, most people thought the Earth was flat. 
Second, Asimov was a knolwedge-oriented person.  He wrote a real science books, too.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 09, 2018, 04:38:52 AM
First, the numbers of people supporting an idea is meaningless.  At one time, most people thought the Earth was flat. 
Second, Asimov was a knolwedge-oriented person.  He wrote a real science books, too.
And college-level textbooks.  And a set of Biblical commentaries, too â€" which unsurprisingly are from a secular viewpoint rather than just assuming it's all true and trying to crowbar it into reality.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 09, 2018, 06:13:09 AM
And college-level textbooks.  And a set of Biblical commentaries, too â€" which unsurprisingly are from a secular viewpoint rather than just assuming it's all true and trying to crowbar it into reality.

I think I have a couple of them.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!