News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hi

Started by WingsofRefuge, July 17, 2018, 06:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: WingsofRefuge on July 18, 2018, 11:12:52 AM
I will answer this question seriously, even though it probably wasn't meant to be taken that way. ðŸ™,
My answer: I have no idea.
I am dead serious about tacos.  I would never discuss them in a joking or frivolous way.

Please answer the question as candidly and thoroughly as humanly possible.

Mike Cl

Quote from: WingsofRefuge on July 18, 2018, 11:19:23 AM
Well I grew up going to church, and was changed at the age of 8. I don't really go by a title... I believe in "By grace through faith", and in relationship not religion. At least that's what I strive toward...
I go by 'grace through reason', not by faith.  Well, I don't do 'grace' either.  How about goodness through reason.  Do good because it makes sense, not because of some skydaddy.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

WingsofRefuge

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 18, 2018, 11:40:10 AM
I go by 'grace through reason', not by faith.  Well, I don't do 'grace' either.  How about goodness through reason.  Do good because it makes sense, not because of some skydaddy.

Well, thankfully the "grace through faith" isn't so much about me. Since, honestly, I have a tough time with faith

Gawdzilla Sama

I have all kinds of faith, just none of the religious kind.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: WingsofRefuge on July 18, 2018, 11:52:07 AM
Well, thankfully the "grace through faith" isn't so much about me. Since, honestly, I have a tough time with faith
Yeah, me too.  Frankly that was one of the big hurdles I just could not get over.  Belief and faith.  If a creator god wanted me to have those then that god should have no problem making it obvious that that is what it wanted.  As of today, I have not seen any evidence that any such god (or any other) exists, much less wants something from me.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Well I grew up going to church, and was changed at the age of 8. I don't really go by a title... I believe in "By grace through faith", and in relationship not religion. At least that's what I strive toward...

Ah yes. I've heard that "relationship, not a religion" thing many times. I used to say that myself. I was one of those Christians who dedicated my life to serving God both in and out of church. I had my born-again experience back in 2008 when I was eighteen years old. Eventually, however, after years of serving in more ministries than I could count, I came to realize that the relationship was entirely one-sided and unhealthy. I wouldn't stay with a girlfriend like that, much less worship a god like that.

Anyway, welcome to the forums. You didn't answer my last question, though. What do you hope to get out of these forums?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

WingsofRefuge

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 18, 2018, 12:32:18 PM
Ah yes. I've heard that "relationship, not a religion" thing many times. I used to say that myself. I was one of those Christians who dedicated my life to serving God both in and out of church. I had my born-again experience back in 2008 when I was eighteen years old. Eventually, however, after years of serving in more ministries than I could count, I came to realize that the relationship was entirely one-sided and unhealthy. I wouldn't stay with a girlfriend like that, much less worship a god like that.

Anyway, welcome to the forums. You didn't answer my last question, though. What do you hope to get out of these forums?

When in 2008?

And I was the same way. I mean about being one-sided about my faith. Although I did it more out of fear. I'm learning that I had everything wrong in my perception of grace.

Well, to learn.. to ask, and find information. ðŸ™, And to maybe show a different side of the Faith...

WingsofRefuge

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 18, 2018, 12:17:05 PM
Yeah, me too.  Frankly that was one of the big hurdles I just could not get over.  Belief and faith.  If a creator god wanted me to have those then that god should have no problem making it obvious that that is what it wanted.  As of today, I have not seen any evidence that any such god (or any other) exists, much less wants something from me.

I feel like the evidence I have is from everything i have come through.

Baruch

Quote from: WingsofRefuge on July 18, 2018, 11:52:07 AM

One should.  Jacob had to wrestle with an angel all night, until dawn, before he got renamed Israel ;-)

Yes, typical but still developing Evangelical.  Life comes thru growth/development.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: WingsofRefuge on July 18, 2018, 12:45:26 PM

Correct.  Materialists say ... believe my ontology, don't believe your lying eyes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: WingsofRefuge on July 18, 2018, 12:42:29 PM
When in 2008?

That seems like an odd question, but okay. It was during a Bible camp in February. I was actually too old to sign up for the camp as a guest, but I was asked to go as a volunteer. Even before my born-again experience, I was volunteering with the church because it made me feel wanted. During the camp, though, I realized I had been motivated by selfish reasons and dedicated myself to serving for God's sake instead of mine. That lasted for several years, so contrary to what some Christians try to claim when they try to dismiss my story, I was not the seed that was sown among the rocks.

Quote from: WingsofRefuge on July 18, 2018, 12:42:29 PMAnd I was the same way. I mean about being one-sided about my faith. Although I did it more out of fear. I'm learning that I had everything wrong in my perception of grace.

I don't understand what you mean. You realize that your relationship with God is completely one sided, you giving everything and receiving nothing in return, and you're okay with that?

Quote from: WingsofRefuge on July 18, 2018, 12:42:29 PMWell, to learn.. to ask, and find information. ðŸ™, And to maybe show a different side of the Faith...

As long as you're not here to preach, you should be welcome here. You already rub me better than most theists who come to these forums.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

WingsofRefuge

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 18, 2018, 01:26:44 PM
That seems like an odd question, but okay. It was during a Bible camp in February. I was actually too old to sign up for the camp as a guest, but I was asked to go as a volunteer. Even before my born-again experience, I was volunteering with the church because it made me feel wanted. During the camp, though, I realized I had been motivated by selfish reasons and dedicated myself to serving for God's sake instead of mine. That lasted for several years, so contrary to what some Christians try to claim when they try to dismiss my story, I was not the seed that was sown among the rocks.

Well, I ask since I was born again in June 2008ðŸ™,

I don't understand what you mean. You realize that your relationship with God is completely one sided, you giving everything and receiving nothing in return, and you're okay with that?

Sorry, I probably didn't interpret that wellðŸ˜, I mean that I'm learning, now, that I viewed grace wrong.. in an unhealthy way. I thought it was about me getting everything right. And I still have a tough time trusting that I don't have to perform or be perfect. It's not supposed to be one-sided, yet that's how it's often represented. And often thought to be the truth.

As long as you're not here to preach, you should be welcome here. You already rub me better than most theists who come to these forums.

I hope I'm not preachy!!!
And thanksðŸ™,

Unbeliever

How do you have a "relationship" with something that doesn't exist?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Mike Cl

Quote from: WingsofRefuge on July 18, 2018, 12:45:26 PM
Understandable.  But that type of evidence is purely personal.  I have had those experiences myself.  And I've had non-experiences as well; experiences I did not have even though I followed all the rules and prayed with all my heart and my head--nothing.  So, looking for proof inside was part of my exploring--still is a little bit.  On searching for evidence outside myself I have found none, zip, nadda; yes, I've looked and still am to an extend.  The structure of nature is, too me, a strike against their being a god.  And I see disasters and harm befalling all--good, bad or indifferent.  That all adds up to no evidence for me.

Unbeliever

Quote from: WingsofRefuge on July 18, 2018, 12:42:29 PM
And to maybe show a different side of the Faith...
Really!? That should be interesting, since we've seen pretty much every side of "the Faith" - we're not exactly newcomers where being shown the various sides of "the Faith" is concerned. So if you can show us something we've yet to encounter we'll enjoy the learning experience.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman