Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How do we determine the age of Fossils?

Started by Mousetrap, July 17, 2018, 10:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 23, 2018, 10:54:18 AM
If, for instance, the Bible was not the source of the Nebular theory
Also, you have been corrected on this.  Continuing to assert it makes you a deliberate liar.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on July 23, 2018, 03:42:12 PM
Also, you have been corrected on this.  Continuing to assert it makes you a deliberate liar.
He is a theist.  He can't help himself.  It would be like asking Trump to tell the truth--or to even recognize what the truth is.  Every time he mentions the bible or his god he has to rely on lies; and the sad fact is he realizes this but persists in lying.  But then, he is a theist.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 23, 2018, 04:49:38 PM
He is a theist.  He can't help himself.  It would be like asking Trump to tell the truth--or to even recognize what the truth is.  Every time he mentions the bible or his god he has to rely on lies; and the sad fact is he realizes this but persists in lying.  But then, he is a theist.
I think the average believer, in whichever faith, is more or less fundamentally honest, or at least prefers to avoid a deliberate deceit.  Most probably never think in depth about what they believe, having been taught it so young that questioning it never comes to mind.

I don't know whether the Orange Disaster Area believes what he says or not.  If the former, that should exclude him from office on psychological grounds; if the latter, it should morally and ethically exclude him considering the sheer number of unnecessarily self-aggrandizing lies he tells, lies told in the face of directly contradicting facts, not the typical day to day political lie most of us expect a politician to tell.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

I think the average believer says he's a believer because that's what he is expected to say. Their religion stops there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on July 23, 2018, 07:19:27 PM
I think the average believer, in whichever faith, is more or less fundamentally honest, or at least prefers to avoid a deliberate deceit.  Most probably never think in depth about what they believe, having been taught it so young that questioning it never comes to mind.
Agreed.  Most Christians are nice, decent, sincere people.  They haven't gone over this stuff in depth and often don't fully understand what they believe, what other religious people believe, where atheists are coming from, etc.  But they mean well.

Apologetics, on the other hand, appeals a *certain* psychological profile that is decidedly less concerned with being correct than it is with seeming to be right.  The ultimate goal is of course to exalt the tribe and the tribe's beliefs - whether it be the Vatican, the LDS church, or right-wing evangelicals.  This relatively recent digital proselytizing against unbelief in the tribe's beliefs is just the latest incarnation of that pair of missionaries riding bikes and knocking at your door.  It's actually quite sad when you start to think about it.

Gawdzilla Sama

From my perspective Americans are religious ~1/168th of the week.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on July 23, 2018, 07:19:27 PM

I don't know whether the Orange Disaster Area believes what he says or not.  If the former, that should exclude him from office on psychological grounds; if the latter, it should morally and ethically exclude him considering the sheer number of unnecessarily self-aggrandizing lies he tells, lies told in the face of directly contradicting facts, not the typical day to day political lie most of us expect a politician to tell.
I agree that the average shepple is simply happy to believe and not think much about it. 

As for Trump, I don't think he cares one way or the other if he is telling the truth or not.  Which is why he can change a story the next day, and then add another element to it on the 3rd day.  He simply does not care.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

I really don't think a con-artist aka politician cares much for truth, other than seeming to speak the truth to those who expect to hear that their particular truth.  I don't think of Bill Clinton or Donald Trump as being particularly theist   George W maybe.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mousetrap

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 23, 2018, 11:40:05 AM
Reminds me of this scene from Dumb and Dumber:

Remember guys, unknown = maybe!

Quote from: Hydra009Guy walking on water?  Maybe!
Well this guy invented water, I supposed He could walk on it too.
Quote from: Hydra009Talking snake?  Maybe!
Well you dont even know it was Satan speaking there, yet you claim you read the Bible.
Quote from: Hydra009Invisible Pink Unicorn?  Maybe!
And build a straw man by throwing in some mythological animal (a pink one for the unicorn was a dino, but not pink)
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.

Mousetrap

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 23, 2018, 07:37:13 PM
Agreed.  Most Christians are nice, decent, sincere people.  They haven't gone over this stuff in depth and often don't fully understand what they believe, what other religious people believe, where atheists are coming from, etc.  But they mean well.

Apologetics, on the other hand, appeals a *certain* psychological profile that is decidedly less concerned with being correct than it is with seeming to be right.  The ultimate goal is of course to exalt the tribe and the tribe's beliefs - whether it be the Vatican, the LDS church, or right-wing evangelicals.  This relatively recent digital proselytizing against unbelief in the tribe's beliefs is just the latest incarnation of that pair of missionaries riding bikes and knocking at your door.  It's actually quite sad when you start to think about it.
And I do not even believe in a Church or denomination and am not a member of any church.
But I believe in the philosophy of God.
And you in the philosophy of the absence of God.
Just as I believe in Jesus as God, you are caught in a religion where you deny on the grounds of no evidence.
therefore you 'believe' in atheism.
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...

Mousetrap

Quote from: Baruch on July 23, 2018, 09:42:08 PM
I really don't think a con-artist aka politician cares much for truth, other than seeming to speak the truth to those who expect to hear that their particular truth.  I don't think of Bill Clinton or Donald Trump as being particularly theist   George W maybe.
Yeh, I loved it when some x senator said, "But the people of the US of A did not vote for Trump for Sunday school teacher... they voted for him on border control and jobs!"
Only the sour puss minority Democrat liberals are the ones crying and they now need to attack the man and forget the country.
and they started crying at the 'Hillarious victory party', and continue to cry now.
Stupid fools!
:cool:

Hakurei Reimu

MT, the fact that Trump won the election does not mean that we should shut up and take it up the ass when he does stupid and inhuman shit. In no democracy should that happen, and furthermore, when it was our boys in the White House, you lot never shut up about the stuff our guys did. So don't be a fucking hypocrite.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Mike Cl

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Mousetrap

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 24, 2018, 08:23:59 AM
MT, the fact that Trump won the election does not mean that we should shut up and take it up the ass when he does stupid and inhuman shit. In no democracy should that happen, and furthermore, when it was our boys in the White House, you lot never shut up about the stuff our guys did. So don't be a fucking hypocrite.
I watch CNN and Fox in an attempt to see who the hypocrites are, and boy, the liberal media are really uneducated.
Just look at old Whoopi Goldburg when she showed her true colors.
Talking about liars, I dont find Trump lied at all, but dammit, when will you guys arrest Strzok, and Hillary?
The Democrats want to get rid of ICE for separating families, but they dont even know it is not Ice that does it.
They think it is fine to harass and victimize Republicans.
And you want to swear at anyone that loves the USA!
Great going Trump.
You are a Giant!