News for crickets ... that is all I hear about this ... just crickets ...

Started by Baruch, July 17, 2018, 07:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2019, 09:51:48 PM
""Tar Is Literally Oozing Up" Through The Streets Of LA As 700 Quakes Hit Key Seismic Zone" ... bye, bye Miss American pie, drove my Chevy to the ... beach front property in Nevada ;-(

I sometimes have bad dreams where the Earth's crust just collapses and we all fall into the Mantle.  But then a I wake up.

On the other hand, are you channeling Lex Luthor?

Peace...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 12, 2019, 03:52:01 AM
A baseball dream about Mickey Mantle? ;-)

I prefer Roger Hornsby myself.  And Ty Cobb if he hadn't been such a racist.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on June 12, 2019, 06:11:22 AM
I prefer Roger Hornsby myself.  And Ty Cobb if he hadn't been such a racist.
Both Hornsby and Cobb were mean spirited people.  They were disliked by teammates and opponents alike. In fact, Cobb was so disliked by his teammates that on the last day of the season one year, the Tigers allowed the player Cobb was tied with for the league batting title (a very big deal in those years) and on the opposing team, to get 7 (or 8) bunt hits and Cobb lost the title because of it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 12, 2019, 10:04:49 AM
Both Hornsby and Cobb were mean spirited people.  They were disliked by teammates and opponents alike. In fact, Cobb was so disliked by his teammates that on the last day of the season one year, the Tigers allowed the player Cobb was tied with for the league batting title (a very big deal in those years) and on the opposing team, to get 7 (or 8) bunt hits and Cobb lost the title because of it.
Yes, quoting myself--but I got is wrong--the jist of the story is correct, but the details were wrong.  This is the real story:

On October 9, Lajoie and the Naps were playing a doubleheader in Sportsman's Park against the St. Louis Browns to close out the season. When Lajoie came to the plate, he noticed Browns rookie Red Corriden playing deep at third. Corriden later said this was because his manager Jack O'Connor (a former Cleveland Spider) told him to play back, saying one of Lajoie's line drives might kill him.

Seeing a chance to fatten his average, Lajoie bunted six times for six hits. He also added a triple and an infield single, giving him eight hits in nine trips. His lone blemish was reaching base on an error by shortstop Bobby Wallace.

In his book, Ty Cobb, author Charles Alexander details that Browns coach Harry Howell sent the team's batboy with a note to official scorer E.V. Parrish, offering a suit of clothes if he changed his call on Wallace to a hit for Lajoie. Parrish declined.

The next day, unofficial final batting averages in different papers declared Lajoie the winner by anywhere from one to three points. Cobb's fans howled, led by Tiger president Frank Navin. But many in baseball who detested Cobb were delighted with Lajoie's victory. Eight of Cobb's Detroit teammates even sent a telegram to Lajoie, congratulating him on the batting title.

--BTW, this was 1910.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2019, 09:51:48 PM
""Tar Is Literally Oozing Up" Through The Streets Of LA As 700 Quakes Hit Key Seismic Zone" ... bye, bye Miss American pie, drove my Chevy to the ... beach front property in Nevada ;-(
Are you Lex Luthor!? :-P
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 12, 2019, 01:14:41 PM
Are you Lex Luthor!? :-P

Don't worry, D party will fly backward fast enough to return to yesterday, to patch things up.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Tucker: John Dean has nothing to do with Robert Mueller" ... John Dean brought in by Democrats ... Nixon will testify next.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"2 Tankers Damaged After Torpedo Attack Near Strait Of Hormuz; Oil Soars" ... last week it was mines, now this ... war or false flag?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"UK's MI5 Accused Of "Extraordinary & Persistent Illegality" Over Mishandling Of Bulk Data Collection" ... just catching up with the Americans ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Solomon: Delerious Democrats Now Accusing Team Obama Of Treason" ... ahaha ... this is what bipartisanship looks like
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"UK Labour Party Supports 10-Hr Work-Week (With Pay Cuts) To Halt Global Warming" ... been talked about, I guess it is now official, that the Laborites want to join the Democrats on the dustin of history.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 12, 2019, 12:06:29 PM
Yes, quoting myself--but I got is wrong--the jist of the story is correct, but the details were wrong.  This is the real story:

On October 9, Lajoie and the Naps were playing a doubleheader in Sportsman's Park against the St. Louis Browns to close out the season. When Lajoie came to the plate, he noticed Browns rookie Red Corriden playing deep at third. Corriden later said this was because his manager Jack O'Connor (a former Cleveland Spider) told him to play back, saying one of Lajoie's line drives might kill him.

Seeing a chance to fatten his average, Lajoie bunted six times for six hits. He also added a triple and an infield single, giving him eight hits in nine trips. His lone blemish was reaching base on an error by shortstop Bobby Wallace.

In his book, Ty Cobb, author Charles Alexander details that Browns coach Harry Howell sent the team's batboy with a note to official scorer E.V. Parrish, offering a suit of clothes if he changed his call on Wallace to a hit for Lajoie. Parrish declined.

The next day, unofficial final batting averages in different papers declared Lajoie the winner by anywhere from one to three points. Cobb's fans howled, led by Tiger president Frank Navin. But many in baseball who detested Cobb were delighted with Lajoie's victory. Eight of Cobb's Detroit teammates even sent a telegram to Lajoie, congratulating him on the batting title.

--BTW, this was 1910.

I hope you will forgive me for adding details that you probably read but did not mention.  The article I think you were refferring to did not end there.  It contunued"

" AL president Ban Johnson quickly summoned O'Connor, Howell, and Corriden to his office. Johnson later ruled that nothing dishonest had gone on, but O'Connor and Howell were soon chased out of the major leagues. Corriden, because he was a rookie, was absolved of any wrong doing and continued his career.

When the official averages were announced, The Sporting News cleared the controversy by naming Cobb the winner with a .3850687 average to Lajoie's .3840947. In a great public relations move, Chalmers made both Cobb and Lajoie fans happy by awarding each player a car.

But perhaps the Chalmers Automobile Co. also had a favorite player. "I've always understood," Lajoie said later of the incident, "that the automobile I got ran a lot better than the one they gave to Ty."

The story doesn't end there. More than 70 years later, The Sporting News historian Paul MacFarlane discovered Cobb was mistakenly credited with two hits during the season, which would give the batting crown to Lajoie. However, then baseball commissioner Bowie Kuhn refused to take Cobb's 1910 batting title away, thereby preserving his string of nine consecutive AL batting titles. "

So Cobb kept the batting title by the known statistics of the time, but Lajolie should have won in later evaluation.

That does not change my opinion of Cobb as a person (disgusting) or as a player (one of the best). 

I am confused though, as I thought Hornsby had a great reputation as an honest but tough player.  What didn't Ken Burns tell us about him?  I mean, JUST when I was about to reluctantly switch from Cobb to Hornsby, you mention he wasn't so great either.

I completely agree that Cobb was a raging crazy racist nutcase, but maybe the best baseball player ever.  In sports, you often have to separate the player from the play, but I you understand what I mean. 

Just, well, who ever played with more skill?

Baruch

"Bernie Plagiarizes Stalin With 'Economic Bill Of Rights'" ... what next?  Gulags-R-Us?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.