News for crickets ... that is all I hear about this ... just crickets ...

Started by Baruch, July 17, 2018, 07:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 18, 2018, 05:58:36 AM
Have you read Richard Dawkin's book 'The Ancestor's Tale'?  I'm on my 3rd re-read.  And that takes some time!  Never gets boring though.

The one with all the evolutionary biology back to the slime SJWs crawled out of?  That one? ;-)  Yeah, awesome biology.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Belgian government folds, due to internal disagreement regarding the new UN migration rights treaty.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on December 18, 2018, 05:58:36 AM
Have you read Richard Dawkin's book 'The Ancestor's Tale'?  I'm on my 3rd re-read.  And that takes some time!  Never gets boring though.
No, I haven't read it. I haven't even heard of it. But now that you've mentioned it I'll have to see if I can come across a copy and give it a good long read. Thanks!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

I was thinking recently about the 100 billion or so humans that have lived since the advent of humanity, and wondering how to figure out how many of those were my direct ancestors. We are each of us the product of a long line of survivors.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 19, 2018, 01:36:34 PM
I was thinking recently about the 100 billion or so humans that have lived since the advent of humanity, and wondering how to figure out how many of those were my direct ancestors. We are each of us the product of a long line of survivors.

Just going 1000 years back, you have more ancestors at that time than all the people alive at that time.  2^20 or a million at 500 years.  2^40 or a trillion at 1000 years.  Yes, most of us European types are the result of mutations brought about in the survivors of the bubonic plague.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 19, 2018, 07:24:10 PM
I guess you're not a mathematician, huh?

Your ancestors double each generation.  Four generations per century.  So there is you, but 16 ancestors 100 years ago.  This upping by 16 per century, so 16^5 for 500 years, or 16^10 for 1000 years.  Count those numbers out, numbskull.

16 to the power of 5 etc. is approximately 1 million.  16 to the power of 10 is approximately one million million = one trillion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 20, 2018, 01:34:16 PM
OK, but there haven't bee a trillion humans on the planet yet.

Thus the danger of extrapolation.  So how can this be?  Before we get to 1 billion contemporary (to each other) ancestors, we get double counting.  Inbreeding see .. explains everything.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Democrats Posing As Russians Executed "Elaborate 'False Flag' Operation" Against Roy Moore ... and it never happened, because Dems say so.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 19, 2018, 01:34:10 PM
No, I haven't read it. I haven't even heard of it. But now that you've mentioned it I'll have to see if I can come across a copy and give it a good long read. Thanks!

Dawkin's literary trick is to start at the beginning and meet all our ancestors on the way forward.  That allows him to show the evolutionary path to us (not as an inevitable one, but the one that happened).  And interestingly, he can leave out the paths that did not happen to lead to us.  The dinosaurs and birds are not in his tale...

A few people I have discussed this with said it clarified their thinking, and that realizing that not all paths lead to humans.

Extinction of some paths is a reality that few people understand properly. 

And as a complete aside, I was just reading that recent studies show that we homo sapiens came darn close to extinction ourselves in our rather short history.  Down to about 10-20,000 150kya and perhaps as few as 2,000 individual humans after the Toba supervolcano eruption 70kya.

As a result, humans from Siberia and South Africa are more related to each other than some chimps living close together in Central Africa.  Amazing...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

Yeah, I've heard that referred to an a population bottleneck. We're all progeny of those survivors.
God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 21, 2018, 02:50:44 PM
Yeah, I've heard that referred to an a population bottleneck. We're all progeny of those survivors.

Yeah, we are all inbred.  And My Heritage doesn't understand why I laugh at them when they discover a 5th cousin for me. Who isn't?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

In the news ...

Der Spiegel Reporter Who Committed Journalistic Fraud Returns Awards - so ... no fake news in MSM?

"Kill Your Foster Parents": Amazon Alexa Talks Murder, Sex, And Dog Poo - so another step beyond Tay, the teenage Nazi AI.

Lets put all the MSM folks in driverless exploding electric cars.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"Amazon's Creepy Facial Recognition Doorbell Will Surveil Entire Neighborhood From People's Front Doors" ... hell yeah!  Amazon and the CIA have no relationship what so ever ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.