News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

My Internet Crashed

Started by SGOS, July 15, 2018, 08:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

This was yesterday.  I was right in the middle of a Flight Simulator flight, and it started giving messages that it was unable to access the internet.  It does this to update the weather every 15 minutes to mimic real time conditions for the location you are flying.

The red light indicating "No Connection" was showing on the modem.  I did the usual unplug the modem, wait, and reconnect, and all the rest of the stuff they tell you to do, and then called my ISP.  They had me do the usual steps again while I was on the phone, and it still wouldn't connect, so the tech person said they would send out a guy.  He would be here on Aug 7, which is more than three weeks away.  I was more pissed than I have been in years.

Then today, the red light went off and I was back on line, but I didn't do anything to get it back on line.  I'm feeling better, but am still dealing with left over anger about the shitty service.  The tech said they were having a lot of service calls.  That's unacceptable.  They need more staff.  Yeah, I know it eats into their egregious profit targets, but they are a service provider, and I'm paying them for a service, not for no service.  On top of that, I received my monthly billing statement today, and it went up $4.  I don't care about the money, however.  I just expect to get what I pay for.  That's a minimum expectation of mine, but I don't think it's too much to ask.

Unbeliever

It's not too much to ask, but it may be too much to expect. But then, I'm a cynic...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 15, 2018, 08:07:54 PM
It's not too much to ask, but it may be too much to expect. But then, I'm a cynic...
It's just another example of increasing profit by shafting the consumer, employees, or whoever else they can fuck with to make more money, and I'm getting tired of it.  You're right that it's not too much to expect.  The expectation is that capitalists aren't  interested in providing better things, when they can make more money by providing worse things.  I did have the more desirable expectation at one time, and I watched companies get rich by actually catering to consumers.  Some did spectacular things in that regard, but a few years ago, that business model started to be deemphasized in favor of producing less and charging more.

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on July 15, 2018, 08:05:33 PM
This was yesterday.  I was right in the middle of a Flight Simulator flight, and it started giving messages that it was unable to access the internet.  It does this to update the weather every 15 minutes to mimic real time conditions for the location you are flying.

The red light indicating "No Connection" was showing on the modem.  I did the usual unplug the modem, wait, and reconnect, and all the rest of the stuff they tell you to do, and then called my ISP.  They had me do the usual steps again while I was on the phone, and it still wouldn't connect, so the tech person said they would send out a guy.  He would be here on Aug 7, which is more than three weeks away.  I was more pissed than I have been in years.

Then today, the red light went off and I was back on line, but I didn't do anything to get it back on line.  I'm feeling better, but am still dealing with left over anger about the shitty service.  The tech said they were having a lot of service calls.  That's unacceptable.  They need more staff.  Yeah, I know it eats into their egregious profit targets, but they are a service provider, and I'm paying them for a service, not for no service.  On top of that, I received my monthly billing statement today, and it went up $4.  I don't care about the money, however.  I just expect to get what I pay for.  That's a minimum expectation of mine, but I don't think it's too much to ask.

Welcome to no-net-neutrality.  Your problems don't matter, because you aren't a corporation.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Cavebear

There are 3 bad choices to solving a computer problem.  One is to ask a vendor.  Two is to ask the ISP.  Three is to ask a discussion board.  Well, ok, maybe ask a friend.  None work.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 17, 2018, 02:09:40 AM
There are 3 bad choices to solving a computer problem.  One is to ask a vendor.  Two is to ask the ISP.  Three is to ask a discussion board.  Well, ok, maybe ask a friend.  None work.

Most professionals Google it.  Unless you have a time machine, and prefer Lycos.  I did ... Lycos that is.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.