News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Was HIV produced in a lab?

Started by SoldierofFortune, July 15, 2018, 06:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Look conspiracy theories aside.

Soldier, sorry for you man; hope everything comes back negative.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on July 15, 2018, 06:52:35 PM
@Munch

I have heard the monkey theory but it hasn't convinced me.
Because your mind is already made up. Fold arms across chest and glare at people. That's a good boy.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hijiri Byakuren

For HIV to have been created in a lab, it would have to have been done some time in the 70's. The 70's, if you recall, was a time when we could barely read our own DNA, much less engineer the DNA of something else.

So yeah, not fucking likely.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 16, 2018, 09:01:29 AM
For HIV to have been created in a lab, it would have to have been done some time in the 70's. The 70's, if you recall, was a time when we could barely read our own DNA, much less engineer the DNA of something else.

So yeah, not fucking likely.
I remember doing donkey work for the labs at Purdue in the late '90s as they struggled to map the human genome. With the computers of the day it was a challenge. With computers twenty years older it would have been an absurd task.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 16, 2018, 11:33:27 AM
There is no other than than nature.  Humans and non humans are natural.  Fire is natural.  Everything is natural.  Nothing is supernatural, since there is no supernatural; which means whatever god you believe exists is a fiction.

Calm down.  If you spontaneously combust, we will have to treat you as a legend.

Whatever politician y'all believe in, even if a real person, is a pile of shit.  You replaced G-d with ... a human monster.  Go worship Pharaoh Hillary.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 16, 2018, 01:15:14 PM
Calm down.  If you spontaneously combust, we will have to treat you as a legend.

Whatever politician y'all believe in, even if a real person, is a pile of shit.  You replaced G-d with ... a human monster.  Go worship Pharaoh Hillary.
Not sure why you theists can't understand this point.  I did not 'replace' god with anything.  God never was and therefore cannot be replaced.  I did not replace that skyscraper that was not in my front yard with anything.  God is a fiction and does not need to be replaced; nor does any other fiction you can manufacture.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 16, 2018, 01:56:34 PM
Not sure why you theists can't understand this point.  I did not 'replace' god with anything.  God never was and therefore cannot be replaced.  I did not replace that skyscraper that was not in my front yard with anything.  God is a fiction and does not need to be replaced; nor does any other fiction you can manufacture.
People who have been told all their life that one leg is shorter than the other need a crutch.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 16, 2018, 01:56:34 PM

Your whole POV is fiction, so like the dragon who was tricked by a puzzle, you should disappear into yourself, from the recursive inconsistency.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 16, 2018, 06:36:26 PM
Your whole POV is fiction, so like the dragon who was tricked by a puzzle, you should disappear into yourself, from the recursive inconsistency.
My POV is ficrional?  Could be I suppose.  I don't know everything, that's for sure and I can only view the world from my own eyes, so I guess much of what I think is real is fiction.  One thing that I know is fiction is your god (or G_D--don't want to piss Bugs, er, your god off by calling it by the wrong name).  Your entire world is based on this fiction of yours, so you calling my POV as fictional is kinda funny, actually. :))

Unbeliever

The word "God" is not a name, it's a title - like king. The king's name is not King! People who think God's name is God are just plain stupid.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 16, 2018, 07:47:49 PM
The word "God" is not a name, it's a title - like king. The king's name is not King! People who think God's name is God are just plain stupid.

isn't the fact they believe in a sky daddy that created everything by definition a question on their level of intellect?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Unbeliever

Well, yeah, there is that! ;-)
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hakurei Reimu

Baruch, if agency is to have any meaning whatsoever, you have to be able to distinguish between actions that have them vs. actions that don't. In a world where only material causes for things have ever been in evidence, and how neuroscience is increasingly showing how the human brain works and in particular how it makes choices, the guys who say that agency is an illusion and all human action is natural do kind of have a point. Yet that doesn't preclude a way of defining agency such that it does make sense in a naturalistic, materialistic world where current neuroscience holds, even if it is bizarre to our mundane understanding.

I even argue that it the apparent contradictions atheists seem to commit may be because the question is simply ill-framed to begin with: the relevant comparison is not action with agency vs. natural action, but rather action with agency vs. action without agency. The former, I think, is not a true dichotomy, whereas the latter is. It's not that anyone is lying, per se, but that the entire conversation is kind of wonky to begin with.

@SoldierofFortune
To your comment, "If a person burns a fire in a forest, is this natural?" I answer, it's natural (ie, not supernatural), but because of the human involved, not without intent or agency. There's a difference. This is the fine point I have to put on @Mike Cl's comment.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 16, 2018, 07:45:28 PM
My POV is ficrional?  Could be I suppose.  I don't know everything, that's for sure and I can only view the world from my own eyes, so I guess much of what I think is real is fiction.  One thing that I know is fiction is your god (or G_D--don't want to piss Bugs, er, your god off by calling it by the wrong name).  Your entire world is based on this fiction of yours, so you calling my POV as fictional is kinda funny, actually. :))

You are a human.  Plato is wrong.  There are no eternal forms that your Greek organ can intuit.  It is fiction all the way down ... though based on actual events ... this is Hollywood, this is Hollywood ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.