Tucker Carlson: Our ruling class is authoritarian, not Trump

Started by orcus, July 14, 2018, 12:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylar

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

Baruch

Quote from: Sylar on July 17, 2018, 03:51:12 PM
Felt like I'm watching V for Vendetta.

Well, the adult comic book is better than the movie, of course ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

orcus

Quote from: Cavebear on July 17, 2018, 02:46:31 AM
So what are your answers to your own questions?

FOR LAZY/STRAIGHT UP STUPID FUCKS

QuoteWho benefits from unlimited mass migration? Could it be that this migrant population has different voting patterns from the existing population?

Large-scale farmers and businesspeople who want to use them as cheap/subsidized labor. Left wing politicians and professors who think they'll be easy targets for indoctrination, who will serve as a private army in the voting booths and, if necessary, in the streets.

QuoteWho benefits from, or even requires a mass disarmament of the population?

Anyone promoting unpopular and even destructive policies. Tyrants.

QuoteDoes democracy/general liberty benefit from a general neutering of independent institutions?

No.

Cavebear

Quote from: orcus on July 19, 2018, 12:46:42 AM
FOR LAZY/STRAIGHT UP STUPID FUCKS

Large-scale farmers and businesspeople who want to use them as cheap/subsidized labor. Left wing politicians and professors who think they'll be easy targets for indoctrination, who will serve as a private army in the voting booths and, if necessary, in the streets.

Anyone promoting unpopular and even destructive policies. Tyrants.

No.

It is always good to see crazy people who think they would beat the US army if there ever WAS an attempted takeover from either side.  Not that the US army would.

And BTW, it seems like you are arguing both for and against immigration...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

orcus

According to this guy the Army has run all kinds of war games that prove that your (D) party fantasies of unconditional State omnipotence are just that, fantasies.

Baruch

If the President is D, the military will support any lawful orders.  If the President is an R, the military will support any lawful orders.  The military (who I work with every day) follow orders ... provided that it is Constitutional.  The problem in 1861, is the moronic South didn't get a secession amendment added to the Constitution when they could have.  However, Southerners like Andrew Jackson, would have considered that treason anyway.  Jackson kept slaves where he lived in Tennessee.    When states ignore valid Federal law as California threatens, nullification ... that is something that Andrew Jackson would have gone to war over, same as Abraham Lincoln.  General Sherman loved Southern culture and hated Blacks, but he burned Georgia down.  Why?  Because secession was treason to him.

So no, please don't start a civil war.  It won't be nice, won't end nicely.  It was Russia BTW, that protected the US from European interference during the US civil war.  GB wanted to intervene, to reclaim their colonies.  France violated the Monroe Doctrine (it isn't French law) by invading Mexico.  As soon as the US civil war was over, they had to abandon their colony there.  But earlier, without French/Spanish/Dutch/Danish assistance, the US would never have happened.  We get foreign interference every day, not just if we have a civil war.  That is what the current trade war is all about.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 22, 2018, 08:01:52 AM
If the President is D, the military will support any lawful orders.  If the President is an R, the military will support any lawful orders.  The military (who I work with every day) follow orders ... provided that it is Constitutional.  The problem in 1861, is the moronic South didn't get a secession amendment added to the Constitution when they could have.  However, Southerners like Andrew Jackson, would have considered that treason anyway.  Jackson kept slaves where he lived in Tennessee.    When states ignore valid Federal law as California threatens, nullification ... that is something that Andrew Jackson would have gone to war over, same as Abraham Lincoln.  General Sherman loved Southern culture and hated Blacks, but he burned Georgia down.  Why?  Because secession was treason to him.

So no, please don't start a civil war.  It won't be nice, won't end nicely.  It was Russia BTW, that protected the US from European interference during the US civil war.  GB wanted to intervene, to reclaim their colonies.  France violated the Monroe Doctrine (it isn't French law) by invading Mexico.  As soon as the US civil war was over, they had to abandon their colony there.  But earlier, without French/Spanish/Dutch/Danish assistance, the US would never have happened.  We get foreign interference every day, not just if we have a civil war.  That is what the current trade war is all about.

I sort of agree, but will note that Europe did not quite understand that at the end of the US Civil War, the US had the best army and military manufacturing in the world.  Something we (thankfully) didn't have to replicate until WWI and WWII.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 25, 2018, 05:56:34 AM
I sort of agree, but will note that Europe did not quite understand that at the end of the US Civil War, the US had the best army and military manufacturing in the world.  Something we (thankfully) didn't have to replicate until WWI and WWII.

Historically correct.  You didn't learn only academic propaganda.  By 1865, I am sure the world wanted the US to demobilize.  Given Grant and Sherman ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 25, 2018, 06:18:14 AM
Historically correct.  You didn't learn only academic propaganda.  By 1865, I am sure the world wanted the US to demobilize.  Given Grant and Sherman ;-(

You are being unusually agreeable.  And I do appreciate that.  Well, the US Civil War has always been a great interest since I lived 5 years in my teens on a battlefield (Petersburg) and have a dozen minnie balls ( a French invention).  I would have a bucketful, but we kids sold them to the local museum (Fort Hell).  The best one was 3 Minnie balls all in collision.  I sure wish I had kept that one.  And the creek across the street was actually a battlefield trench.  My friend found a dozen untouched Minnie-balls all stacked ready for use.

The Union ironclad monitors really changed things in England and France.  It wasn't just anti-slavery And Gettysburg that made them hesitate to support the South.  They were terrified the US Union would sail into their harbors with unsinkable little ships.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 25, 2018, 06:30:24 AM
You are being unusually agreeable.  And I do appreciate that.  Well, the US Civil War has always been a great interest since I lived 5 years in my teens on a battlefield (Petersburg) and have a dozen minnie balls ( a French invention).  I would have a bucketful, but we kids sold them to the local museum (Fort Hell).  The best one was 3 Minnie balls all in collision.  I sure wish I had kept that one.  And the creek across the street was actually a battlefield trench.  My friend found a dozen untouched Minnie-balls all stacked ready for use.

The Union ironclad monitors really changed things in England and France.  It wasn't just anti-slavery And Gettysburg that made them hesitate to support the South.  They were terrified the US Union would sail into their harbors with unsinkable little ships.

We can agree on facts, even facts of history.  But history is often slathered in a think layer of propaganda.  Yes, France saw the USS Kearsarge sink the CSS Alabama off of the French coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Kearsarge_(1861)#/media/File:Édouard_Manet-Kearsarge-Alabama2.jpg

The CSS Alabama was the only Civil War era model ship I built as a boy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 25, 2018, 06:36:44 AM
We can agree on facts, even facts of history.  But history is often slathered in a think layer of propaganda.  Yes, France saw the USS Kearsarge sink the CSS Alabama off of the French coast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Kearsarge_(1861)#/media/File:Édouard_Manet-Kearsarge-Alabama2.jpg

The CSS Alabama was the only Civil War era model ship I built as a boy.

I appreciate facts.  And when you use them, I love it.

Impressed by the CSS Alabama model.  I built a USS Nautilus with hundreds of tiny pieces in the half-section. Real tweezer stuff.  I went nearly crazy doing it.  Did you do all the rigging?  I found a picture, and it was impressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSS_Alabama#/media/File:CSSAlabama.jpg

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 25, 2018, 07:06:45 AM
I appreciate facts.  And when you use them, I love it.

Impressed by the CSS Alabama model.  I built a USS Nautilus with hundreds of tiny pieces in the half-section. Real tweezer stuff.  I went nearly crazy doing it.  Did you do all the rigging?  I found a picture, and it was impressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSS_Alabama#/media/File:CSSAlabama.jpg

I was never big on rigging, I cheated with just plastic sails.  I did build one Polaris class nuke sub model.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 25, 2018, 07:16:17 AM
I was never big on rigging, I cheated with just plastic sails.  I did build one Polaris class nuke sub model.

So much for "ships in a bottle" for either of us, LOL!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 25, 2018, 07:18:06 AM
So much for "ships in a bottle" for either of us, LOL!

The wooden models with metal parts and full rigging, even to scale, would take a big bottle!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 25, 2018, 01:06:17 PM
The wooden models with metal parts and full rigging, even to scale, would take a big bottle!

I thought "they" made bottles just for that purpose.