Tucker Carlson: Our ruling class is authoritarian, not Trump

Started by orcus, July 14, 2018, 12:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orcus

link

Quote from: Tucker CarlsonAuthoritarianism. That's what our ruling class says it fears, it says it all the time. Okay. Let's say you were an authoritarian, and wanted to weaken American democracy and impose an oligarchy on the country. How would you go about doing that? Maybe you'd start by trying to control what people say and think.. You would work to disarm the population, take their guns away. That way, they would be entirely dependent on you for their safety, not to mention unable to resist your plans for them.

Then, just to make sure you've quelled all opposition to your power, you'd systematically target any institution that might oppose or put brakes on your power. You'd be especially concerned about churches, the family, and independent businesses, you'd be determined to crush those using laws and relentless propaganda.

If, despite all of that, elections still didn't go your way, use an entrenched, unelected bureaucracy to neuter any leader you hadn't hand-picked yourself. You'd be shaken by an election like that. You'd resolve never to allow one again. To make sure of that, you'd work tirelessly to replace the old and ungrateful population with a new and more obedient one.

Sound familiar? We're not talking about Donald Trump. For all his faults, Trump isn't doing any of that. Our ruling class is. And that's what all these issues are really about. The speech codes, the calls for gun control, the relentless attacks on the nuclear family, the demand for unlimited mass immigration. None of that is designed to help you. None of that will make you happier or more prosperous. That's not the point. The point is to make you more dependent on the people who are yelling at you right now on cable television They're the authoritarians.

Baruch

Trump is part of the ruling class.  But rogue ... not maverick like $&$^ McCain.

You are all owned, like Uncle Tom ... trapped in your log cabin down on the plantation, thinking that an iPhone will free you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Carlson's just using strawmen and whataboutisms.

I do think Trump is a Russian spy bent on destroying America. But then, I'm a cynical pessimist, so what I think doesn't count.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

orcus

Point is if you were trying to slow-creep authoritarianism that would be the way to do it.

And let's look at this from a simpler, "cui bono" perspective.

Who benefits from unlimited mass migration? Could it be that this migrant population has different voting patterns from the existing population?

Who benefits from, or even requires a mass disarmament of the population?

Does democracy/general liberty benefit from a general neutering of independent institutions?

Unbeliever

Quote from: orcus on July 14, 2018, 05:28:11 PM
Who benefits from, or even requires a mass disarmament of the population?

That's a good question, since I know of no one who's trying to do that. But I know the Democratic party has been constantly accused by the right-wing meme machine of wanting to "take our guns!" It's a bullshit accusation, though. Asking for tighter controls on the selling of weapons of mass destruction so that maniacs won't be as likely to kill dozens of victims at a time is most definitely NOT asking for "mass disarmament of the population."

That's what I meant when I mentioned strawmen.
God Not Found

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 14, 2018, 01:55:14 PM

I do think Trump is a Russian spy bent on destroying America. But then, I'm a cynical pessimist, so what I think doesn't count.
I don't think he's intelligent enough to be a useful spy.  He's just a brainless and easily manipulated tool in Vlad the Impaler Putin's hands.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 14, 2018, 01:55:14 PM

This is pessimism ... that the US was the bad guy all along ... I don't think so, but I think Shiranu does.

What do you have against Russians ... are you bigoted?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 14, 2018, 05:34:25 PM
That's a good question, since I know of no one who's trying to do that. But I know the Democratic party has been constantly accused by the right-wing meme machine of wanting to "take our guns!" It's a bullshit accusation, though. Asking for tighter controls on the selling of weapons of mass destruction so that maniacs won't be as likely to kill dozens of victims at a time is most definitely NOT asking for "mass disarmament of the population."

Actually the D party (not all D voters) ... want the same thing Attila wants ... rape, plunder and murder.  All political parties want that.  Politics is how we virtue signal our evil made legal.  Everything Hitler did was legal ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 14, 2018, 05:34:25 PM

You should pull your head out of your you-know-what sometimes and look around.  I saw this shit in the 60s, and 50 years later, here it is again.  Communists under every bed ... though I happen to agree, that automatic weapons should be illegal.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

orcus

(D)'s want guns to be illegal so that when the looting begins in earnest their enemies won't be able to defend themselves. Leftism in the long term is nothing but a pretext for widespread looting and theft. Did you know that one of the biggest preoccupations of the French Republic was "requisitioning" grain from farmers? People talk in abstracts to make these "democratic" people seem benevolent but once you get down to brass tacks things don't look so good.

Baruch

Quote from: orcus on July 15, 2018, 08:29:15 AM
(D)'s want guns to be illegal so that when the looting begins in earnest their enemies won't be able to defend themselves. Leftism in the long term is nothing but a pretext for widespread looting and theft. Did you know that one of the biggest preoccupations of the French Republic was "requisitioning" grain from farmers? People talk in abstracts to make these "democratic" people seem benevolent but once you get down to brass tacks things don't look so good.

This is why regular revolutions (not the American kind) are not fun.  It is the general public going feral.  Or in the case of the American colonies, about 25% feral, 25% loyal and 50% get out of my log cabin.  In the French revolution, except for a few folks going exile ... the majority of the combatants had no place to go, they had to stand and fight, and die.  Until the military dictatorship ended it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzYrLNcspNU

Royalist counter-revolutionaries under every bed ... gotta kill them!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on July 14, 2018, 10:02:00 PM
I don't think he's intelligent enough to be a useful spy.  He's just a brainless and easily manipulated tool in Vlad the Impaler Putin's hands.
I think he's more of an operative than a spy, actually. A spy just gathers intelligence, whereas an operative actually does stuff. And Trump's doing plenty. I'm beginning to think his brainless appearance may be an act.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on July 14, 2018, 10:29:00 PM
This is pessimism ... that the US was the bad guy all along ... I don't think so, but I think Shiranu does.

What do you have against Russians ... are you bigoted?
Yes, I'm bigoted against anyone who would manipulate our election process in order to place their hand-picked operative in our most important political office.
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 15, 2018, 05:31:37 PM
Yes, I'm bigoted against anyone who would manipulate our election process in order to place their hand-picked operative in our most important political office.

Every Intelligence Service does that in every election, in every country.  Life isn't fair, and if you don't vote the right way, it doesn't count.  I bet you had bullies as a child, who took your glasses and stomped on them!

Yes, Trump is just acting (he had a TV show just like Ronald Reagan).  All our leaders are modest geniuses, just like Ronald ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5wfPlgKFh8
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.