When did 'LIFE" begin? (Science in relation with the Biblical description)

Started by Mousetrap, July 13, 2018, 05:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 08, 2018, 09:20:00 AM
All I saw was a funny joke where the cartoon character was actually claiming that HE WAS NOT INTELLIGENT.

Come on man, laugh a little bit.
If that was the intent, it was poorly communicated. This may be a part of your problem.

All humor has to have an element of truth to it. As such, your cartoon only has humor if you take it as ironic creationist stupidity.

Scientists, you see, aren't stupid and realize that they are intelligent. Their experiments in abiogenesis is not to create life and therefore prove life was uncreated, but to investigate the pathways that may have lead to life arising spontaneously and assess the plausibility of such pathways being taken without intelligent intervention.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Hydra009

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 08, 2018, 09:20:00 AM
This is deeeeep!!!!

I never even thought if it in this way.

All I saw was a funny joke where the cartoon character was actually claiming that HE WAS NOT INTELLIGENT.

Come on man, laugh a little bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTwzOlWDVMw

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 08, 2018, 12:06:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTwzOlWDVMw
That is from "Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog," a fun escapade but somewhat of a head scratcher.  I only posted this so I might gain a reputation as a connoisseur of the obscure.  I would recommend watching this film two hours after taking a hit of LSD.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on August 08, 2018, 09:02:15 AM
Same with fine tuning. They want both prongs of the argument when they can only have one. Greedy bastards.
Yeah, and an Omni-max God would not need to fine tune the universal parameters, he'd just magic everything to work just right, without any need for natural laws.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

trdsf

Also, the universe is fine-tuned in the same way that if a branch falls and makes a dime-sized hole in the screen in your window, you'll find insects inside that measure less than 18mm in at least two dimensions.  It's a miracle!  That hole was meant to be there so those bugs could get in, all praise the almighty branch!

Now, if you had a raccoon in there, that might indicate something special.  Or it might just indicate a larger hole that wasn't noticed before.  Or that the screen can be swung open from the bottom.

Fine-tuning claims are nothing more than a cosmological post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.  All we can infer from the state of the universe is that it permits regions in which we are possible, no more.  Certainly not necessary.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 08, 2018, 09:22:46 AM
What do you think of my meme on the human mind?

About like thinking a butterfly caterpillar becomes a frog.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jason78

It's funny to read a thread where Baruch sounds like the sane voice of reason! :D

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 08, 2018, 04:12:27 PM
Also, the universe is fine-tuned in the same way that if a branch falls and makes a dime-sized hole in the screen in your window, you'll find insects inside that measure less than 18mm in at least two dimensions.  It's a miracle!  That hole was meant to be there so those bugs could get in, all praise the almighty branch!

Now, if you had a raccoon in there, that might indicate something special.  Or it might just indicate a larger hole that wasn't noticed before.  Or that the screen can be swung open from the bottom.

Fine-tuning claims are nothing more than a cosmological post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.  All we can infer from the state of the universe is that it permits regions in which we are possible, no more.  Certainly not necessary.

Nice description of the difference between intent and happenstance
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 05:46:05 AM
Nice description of the difference between intent and happenstance

That is the boundary, explored in Twilight Zone, between materialism and personalism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.