When did 'LIFE" begin? (Science in relation with the Biblical description)

Started by Mousetrap, July 13, 2018, 05:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 01, 2018, 07:58:13 PM
Fiction, not fact.  Wisdom is knowing the difference.  Fact isn't wisdom.

Data to fact to knowledge to wisdom...  It's progression.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 04, 2018, 02:56:59 AM

Correct, you, MikeCL and I agree.  But they aren't the same.  Like my toe bone is ultimately connected to my head bone, but my brain isn't in my toe.

For some people facts are enough.  Knowledge, understanding and wisdom are too much work.  They are like Egyptian mathematicians, they had useful examples of right triangles, but no universal formula.  In Egypt they had the facts (workers) and the written knowledge (priests).  Giving credit, Pythagoras was the first one to understand it.  But his wisdom was that all things are number, whole numbers (no zero).  He failed at that point.  We still haven't gotten more wisdom than Pythagoras' failure, nore that of Democritus (atomism).  Meanwhile Homer is there laughing at you rationalists and materialists.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

You know, it occurs to me that the half-life of a neutron (about ten minutes) would make a convenient unit of measurement of time for humans, and is completely divorced from the Earth's day and year; it would be practical if we didn't already have a fine unit for measuring time already. Plus, it's hard to get to a civilization capable of discovering that there are neutrons to have half-lives to begin with, as well as having any clue about what a half-life is, without having a convenient unit for time.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

trdsf

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on August 05, 2018, 07:52:01 PM
You know, it occurs to me that the half-life of a neutron (about ten minutes) would make a convenient unit of measurement of time for humans, and is completely divorced from the Earth's day and year; it would be practical if we didn't already have a fine unit for measuring time already. Plus, it's hard to get to a civilization capable of discovering that there are neutrons to have half-lives to begin with, as well as having any clue about what a half-life is, without having a convenient unit for time.
I've always been partial to redefining distances in terms of the light-nanosecond, which is very nearly a foot (11.803"), or 29.98cm.  So, a decimalized light-foot separated into ten light-decifeet (1 5/32"), further separated into ten light-centifeet.  And of course you have a light-microsecond, which is about a fifth of a mile or a third of a kilometer.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that since it was Admiral Grace Hopper who popularized the light-nanosecond as a unit of measure, that unit should of course be called a 'hopper'.  So, decihoppers, centihoppers, kilohoppers, megahoppers, gigahoppers (which would be one second/one lightyear)...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on August 06, 2018, 01:34:51 AM
EDIT: I forgot to mention that since it was Admiral Grace Hopper who popularized the light-nanosecond as a unit of measure, that unit should of course be called a 'hopper'.  So, decihoppers, centihoppers, kilohoppers, megahoppers, gigahoppers (which would be one second/one lightyear)...
It's good his name wasn't Peter, or we could be measuring things in centipeters.  That could be confusing.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on August 06, 2018, 01:34:51 AM

She used to pass out nanoseconds at lectures.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mousetrap

Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on August 07, 2018, 09:19:01 AM
What a delightful old lady!
She's definitely on the list of people I would have loved to have sat down and had a beer/scotch/wine/iced tea (as appropriate) with.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mousetrap on August 07, 2018, 08:58:00 AM

I love how creationists vacillate between "abiogenesis would disprove creation; abiogenesis is impossible" and "abiogenesis is possible, but it's proof of a creator god".  Heads, I win.  Tails, I win.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 04, 2018, 02:56:59 AM

On the other hand, no.  There is no progress, no wisdom.  And you skipped ... understanding.  That was a feature, not a bug.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 07, 2018, 12:24:40 PM
I love how creationists vacillate between "abiogenesis would disprove creation; abiogenesis is impossible" and "abiogenesis is possible, but it's proof of a creator god".  Heads, I win.  Tails, I win.
Same with fine tuning. They want both prongs of the argument when they can only have one. Greedy bastards.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Mousetrap

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 07, 2018, 12:24:40 PM

Dont do that!
I sat down here looking for some indication that there are2 types of Genesis' and I could not get what you were talking about, until I understood that you say that the cartoon character will say that the origins of life does not need intelligence to kick off, so to say.
But that Creationists butter their bread on both sides, with a claim that even if life can be created spontaneous, or it it needs intelligence, they are busy with trickery, heads, or tails, they win.

This is deeeeep!!!!

I never even thought if it in this way.

All I saw was a funny joke where the cartoon character was actually claiming that HE WAS NOT INTELLIGENT.

Come on man, laugh a little bit.
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...

Mousetrap