When did 'LIFE" begin? (Science in relation with the Biblical description)

Started by Mousetrap, July 13, 2018, 05:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

This has got to be a wind up.   

He's got to be coming to the punchline soon.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on July 18, 2018, 02:30:35 PM
Yes, I've already considered both of those problems, and they are heavy odds against survival that didn't exist the first time around.
I think if we find another form of life on this planet, it's going to be somewhere completely hostile to or isolated from life as we currently understand it... but then, some bacteria have already evolved resistance to radiation.  I shouldn't be surprised to learn of bacteria thriving in some toxic waste sites by now.

We might be limited to places isolated from the biosphere... but I don't know that there are any, since they'd also need to have been isolated since before life as we know it arose.

The other alternative is something that takes advantage of materials not used by current life forms.  There's a lot of aluminium and silicon in the environment, although what biological role either of those could play is completely speculative.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I was kind of amazed that Mousetrap lasted as long as he did, being so close-minded theist and literal and all.  But that seems to happen here,  They come and they go.  Never able to maintain any arguement.  It is the experience of my daily life too.  Some people hide that they are are theists and finally reveal themselves.  Its always the same.  Most people I meet either start theists (so I talk to them in curiosity) or they tend to hide it and comes out at the end.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on July 21, 2018, 07:07:59 AM
I was kind of amazed that Mousetrap lasted as long as he did, being so close-minded theist and literal and all.  But that seems to happen here,  They come and they go.  Never able to maintain any arguement.  It is the experience of my daily life too.  Some people hide that they are are theists and finally reveal themselves.  Its always the same.  Most people I meet either start theists (so I talk to them in curiosity) or they tend to hide it and comes out at the end.
Ya'll people need to follow the damn script!
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 21, 2018, 07:07:59 AM
I was kind of amazed that Mousetrap lasted as long as he did.
I'm not sure he's gone yet.  Has it even been 24 hours since his last post?  And he hasn't done the final, "I'm leaving because you guys are a bunch of fuckers," farewell salute.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on July 21, 2018, 07:30:42 AM
I'm not sure he's gone yet.  Has it even been 24 hours since his last post?  And he hasn't done the final, "I'm leaving because you guys are a bunch of fuckers," farewell salute.

Oh I really don't care if he returns or not.  Some idiots are persistent.  But he hasn't exactly changed anyone's mind here, has he? 

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 21, 2018, 08:33:15 AM
Oh I really don't care if he returns or not.  Some idiots are persistent.  But he hasn't exactly changed anyone's mind here, has he? 
No, at least not in a positive direction toward theism.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on July 21, 2018, 09:08:48 AM
No, at least not in a positive direction toward theism.

But that IS the only reason for him to bother us, right?  He and all those "of his ilk"always think that, with a few biblical quotes or explanations, they will convince us of our errors.  Sad, so sad...

But you know I thought what is "ilk".  So I researched it.  Here's the best explanation I found...

Word History: When one uses ilk, as in the phrase men of his ilk, one is using a word with an ancient pedigree even though the sense of ilk, "kind or sort," is actually quite recent, having been first recorded at the end of the 18th century. This sense grew out of an older use of ilk in the phrase of that ilk, meaning "of the same place, territorial designation, or name." This phrase was used chiefly in names of landed families, Guthrie of that ilk meaning "Guthrie of Guthrie." "Same" is the fundamental meaning of the word. The ancestors of ilk, Old English ilca and Middle English ilke, were common words, usually appearing with such words as the or that, but the word hardly survived the Middle Ages in those uses.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 21, 2018, 09:18:28 AM

But you know I thought what is "ilk".  So I researched it.  Here's the best explanation I found...
That's interesting.  It makes sense.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mousetrap

Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.