News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Response to "The Lazy Millenial"

Started by Shiranu, July 08, 2018, 06:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Ah, but you are thinking.  That is good, very good.  That is how people develop, not with fertilizer like Twitter and Facebook.

The controlled immigration of hard working people ... without that there would have been no US development.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on July 21, 2018, 11:31:07 PM
It's still a hell of a lot better than the places they leave (Central America mostly, but also lower-class China and India), there are established communities here that either are of the same nationality or speak the same language, and the only exposure they have actually had with "American culture" is the media we have put out for the last 40 years or so... as well as our reputation of being a nation of immigrants, even if that has always only been half the story. We are also much easier to walk to than Canada, and most cant afford to go across the sea to better countries.

Also, we were the global Empire... we had the biggest economy, the greatest global influence and cities like Detroit, LA, New York were THE places to be as a worker or artist. We were sending men to the moon, pioneering new technology, and going through a cultural revolution that saw peace and cultural tolerance come to the forefront of American exceptionalism. We were the shining beacon of the free world, and that alone has an unmeasurable appeal to people fleeing totalitarian and repressive regimes.

The only competition we had in the world was the Soviets, and who would want to choose the Iron Curtain over Pax Americana?

I've said it multiple times before, and I will say it again... the reason I am so critical of America is because I lived at the tail end of the empire, and I got to experience it when it was just coming off it's peak. I want us to be that great country again, but instead we have become the laughing stock of the world and are, with almost no hyperbole intended, looking more and more like we are approaching the sort of theocratic autocracy you see in Erdogan's Turkiye... or the nationalistic dictatorship of Franco's post-civil war Spain... than the leaders of the free world.

But if you are fleeing a third world country... even that sounds appealing, and if you are fleeing a third world country you likely don't even have that information available to you. You only have the glitz and glam we broadcasted to the world.

We have been here before, in some ways... both the Civil War and the Gilded Age both highlighted fissures and warts that stand at the forefront of issues we as Americans deal with today, and I don't think those issues were ever truly fixed but rather just brushed under the rug. Eventually America WILL have to deal with the social and economic inequality that has plagued us for hundreds of years, or it will tear us apart. It seems like every century there is at least two or three major incidents that threaten the unity of the Union, and I have to give credit where credit is do... Americans have pulled together at the last moment each time and gotten things worked out.

But you can only run your hand along the edge so long before you will get cut. If the American government is even only a tenth as compromised by Russian (let's call a spade a spade, Soviet) power as it seems then it's going to be a deep as hell hole we are going to have to dig ourselves out of, and I really do believe Trump is going to win a second term... so that's 6 more years of digging.

Sorry, I have had too much time to think lately so my posts are becoming way too long.

Trump too, will pass.  Things will get back t0 normal after that.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

That is what the dinosaurs said to the asteroid ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 25, 2018, 08:10:33 PM
That is what the dinosaurs said to the asteroid ...

Well, technically, the dinosaurs probably didn't notice the incoming asteroid.  At 40,000 miles per hour, it would have gone right through the atmosphere so fast they wouldn't notice.  And most of them wouldn't have even been able to see it since it entered over their horizon.  Shall I go on?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2018, 06:52:37 AM
Well, technically, the dinosaurs probably didn't notice the incoming asteroid.  At 40,000 miles per hour, it would have gone right through the atmosphere so fast they wouldn't notice.  And most of them wouldn't have even been able to see it since it entered over their horizon.  Shall I go on?

This is why literalism kills humor.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 01, 2018, 07:36:06 AM
This is why literalism kills humor.

No, you missed it.  This is how intelligent sarky people respond to straight lines...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2018, 07:39:19 AM
No, you missed it.  This is how intelligent sarky people respond to straight lines...

Beware "Snark-nado" ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear