If you don't know who Dominionists are ...

Started by Baruch, June 15, 2018, 07:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.texasobserver.org/dominion-theology/

This I just found, but it is to give some credence to those who fear the Christians.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

And Christians are greatly to be feared when they've got secular power. Witness the torture and murder that occurred when the RCC had political domination of Europe. And even after the RCC was challenged by Protestantism it didn't get better for a long time. If America becomes a theocracy we can expect a new dark age, and execution of those who don't believe, or at least pretend to believe, as the religion in charge would have them believe.

I'll die on my feet, but I'll never live on my knees.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

fencerider

sounds like somebody screwed up again. Texas was supposed to get marijuana not LSD. guess we got another mess to clean up
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 15, 2018, 01:37:57 PM
And Christians are greatly to be feared when they've got secular power. Witness the torture and murder that occurred when the RCC had political domination of Europe. And even after the RCC was challenged by Protestantism it didn't get better for a long time. If America becomes a theocracy we can expect a new dark age, and execution of those who don't believe, or at least pretend to believe, as the religion in charge would have them believe.

I'll die on my feet, but I'll never live on my knees.

Outstanding!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

I'd never heard of the organized Dominionist sect, but this is not surprising. I've known not a few Christians that express the desire for domination over all others, and they show great sympathy for the idea of cruel and barbaric treatment of those with other beliefs.  They delight in the idea of the wicked being thrown into the flames, and I've met both men and women Christians who would seemingly be proud to the work of their Lord as torturers in his name.  It's scary seeing them congregate and obtain political power.

But not all Christians.

I am not giving Islam a pass.  Both religions provide vehicles for the most terrifying oppression imaginable, and both have engaged in it at one time or another.  The fact that Dominionist pathology is currently mostly suppressed in modern western culture is nothing to praise Christianity for.  Civilized behavior has been thrust upon Christianity from outside forces by those being (dare I say it) "politically correct."  It does not come from "within" Christianity like some flame of love and kindness that is the Christian default.   Sure that flame flickers in some Christians, but just government, imposed by the promoters of freedom, currently forbids the alternative expression.

Not all Christians/Not all Muslims does not cancel out the evil in either.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on June 16, 2018, 06:08:22 AM
I'd never heard of the organized Dominionist sect, but this is not surprising. I've known not a few Christians that express the desire for domination over all others, and they show great sympathy for the idea of cruel and barbaric treatment of those with other beliefs.  They delight in the idea of the wicked being thrown into the flames, and I've met both men and women Christians who would seemingly be proud to the work of their Lord as torturers in his name.  It's scary seeing them congregate and obtain political power.

But not all Christians.

I am not giving Islam a pass.  Both religions provide vehicles for the most terrifying oppression imaginable, and both have engaged in it at one time or another.  The fact that Dominionist pathology is currently mostly suppressed in modern western culture is nothing to praise Christianity for.  Civilized behavior has been thrust upon Christianity from outside forces by those being (dare I say it) "politically correct."  It does not come from "within" Christianity like some flame of love and kindness that is the Christian default.   Sure that flame flickers in some Christians, but just government, imposed by the promoters of freedom, currently forbids the alternative expression.

Not all Christians/Not all Muslims does not cancel out the evil in either.

All religions have been and are generally cruel and insane at some times.  And I think that just because some adherents are not at various historical times does not reduce the general cruelty of all religions.

Look at the way Christians in the US government are separating children from their mothers and quoting the bible as support for "dissuading" future immigrants.  And they admit that is the purpose.  As an ethical human (and as an atheist) , I would never consider doing that.

Baruch

What is the origin of the US?  British privateers (legal) to British pirates (illegal) to British rebels (treason).

All the fancy political theory is dross.  Alexander Hamilton (founder of US capitalism and imperialism) was a teenage smuggler from the Caribbean.  They didn't put that into the recent "political correct" play ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOuJV2kkKu4

The US flag is based on that of one of the first international corporations, the British West Indies company (less successful than the British East Indies company).  So yes, some sort of domination is involved ... isn't the Monroe Doctrine part of the extension of piracy by other means?

Given such people as we have, the lower class dregs of Europe and other places ... losers in their home countries ... what kind of Enlightenment can you expect?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

Those times must have been good business for wig makers.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on June 16, 2018, 08:45:29 AM

Perukes you scalawag!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: pr126 on June 16, 2018, 08:45:29 AM
The one in the video looked like it could have been his real hair, but the wigs they wear in the British Courts just sit on top of a guy's real hair.  A little kid would look at it and ask, "Why is that man wearing a wig when he has real hair?"  I tend to wonder about it too.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hakurei Reimu

Islam is one of many religions that want political dominion over all. It's only more honest than most about its ultimate design, and more bumbling in its attempts to gain power. It is therefore obvious what they're doing and thus more easily countered. Which means that if any western country does fall to Islam, it deserves to because in order to do so it must remove ALL of the wall of separation between religions and the powers of state â€" once that happens it's only a matter of time before some religion turns it into a theocracy.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on June 16, 2018, 01:24:12 PM
Apparently, we can thank Louis XIII for the fashion of wig-wearing.

Well, just think of the wigs as unusual hats.  But there is a reason the royalty wore highly-powdered wigs at one time and kept their heads shaved...

Lice...

Cavebear

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on June 16, 2018, 07:40:31 PM
Islam is one of many religions that want political dominion over all (much deleted)

And Hindus, Christians, and Jews , et al don't?  Yes, I know you said "many" but you mentioned one and that gave it an emphasis.  So I expanded.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 20, 2018, 02:59:24 AM
Well, just think of the wigs as unusual hats.  But there is a reason the royalty wore highly-powdered wigs at one time and kept their heads shaved...

Lice...

Egyptians did the same way earlier than King Louis.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.