Origins of the Universe. (Creation versus science. Do they contradict?)

Started by Mousetrap, July 06, 2018, 09:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 08, 2018, 02:29:52 PM
In some ways I think sci-fi has done us a disservice,

Or I might add that any human activity could possibly create a "rift" in time or alter the fabric of space or other such nonsense. When you understand the breadth of the universe and how truly insignificant we are then we can realize that nothing we could do could possibly alter the course of the universe. To the universe which is so large that it could not tell the difference between our planet and an atom as they are closer to the same size than not to the universe.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on September 09, 2018, 11:50:45 AM
Or I might add that any human activity could possibly create a "rift" in time or alter the fabric of space or other such nonsense. When you understand the breadth of the universe and how truly insignificant we are then we can realize that nothing we could do could possibly alter the course of the universe. To the universe which is so large that it could not tell the difference between our planet and an atom as they are closer to the same size than not to the universe.

The early moderns, with the new astronomy, were quite appalled at the new view of the universe.  Worse than finding the world was a sphere or that the world orbits the Sun and spins on its axis.  This took a little while to sink in ... by Newton's time it was clear how big the solar system was ( later 1838 parallax measurement of stellar distance).

I still think humans are important, even if irritating.  Atoms don't compare to a human being very well.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: aitm on September 09, 2018, 11:50:45 AM
I agree with that, in a general way, but I also think that size doesn't necessarily matter so much. A virus is a tiny thing, and even a million of them take up only a tiny volume, but they can devastate humans who are very much larger than them. So humans may be cosmically small, but we could conceivably have a large effect on the universe. Eventually...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 09, 2018, 05:40:05 PM
I agree with that, in a general way, but I also think that size doesn't necessarily matter so much. A virus is a tiny thing, and even a million of them take up only a tiny volume, but they can devastate humans who are very much larger than them. So humans may be cosmically small, but we could conceivably have a large effect on the universe. Eventually...

The scope of a virus to us is so much larger than us to the universe.  A virus can travel through us easily, but we can't travel through the universe in any meaningful time the same way.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 12, 2018, 04:26:48 AM
The scope of a virus to us is so much larger than us to the universe.  A virus can travel through us easily, but we can't travel through the universe in any meaningful time the same way.

The Earth seems to be a part of the colon ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Cavebear

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 12, 2018, 03:38:30 PM
We need hemi-demi-semi colons...

Great!  I finally sort of learn the keyboard and you want to add stuff...

Wait, isn't hemi-demi-semi the chords in Close Encounters?

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 08, 2018, 02:29:52 PM
In some ways I think sci-fi has done us a disservice, in that people now think travelling through the void will be a piece of cake once the right genius comes along, and any place we go out there will have habitable planets. I think neither is the case.
Dr. Sumgai will have it working in no time! How do I know this? Sumgai invents everything!
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 12, 2018, 05:02:43 PM
Well, he'd better hurry, we're going to need it real soon!
He's working with Bergenholm right now, getting the inertialess drive working. Seems you have to have the cycles peak here and here instead of there and there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers