News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

4th of July cookout

Started by PopeyesPappy, July 04, 2018, 11:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Anyone else cooking out this year?

For the last decade or so we have had all the family in town over for a 4th of July cookout. This year is going to be a little different though. My dad just got home after a month in hospital. Karen's dad has Parkinson's, and he isn't getting around very well. So we decided not to have everyone over this year. We are still going to cookout. I've been smoking meat since 8 last night. 7 lbs of pork butt, 5 lbs of beef chuck, 6 racks of baby back ribs, and 3 lbs of sausage. There is also potato salad, baked beans, green beans, and blackberry cobbler.

But instead of having everyone over we are going to do delivery and take the food to everyone else.

Here are the beef and pork roasts. Not much to see because they got done earlier than planned. The pork usually takes between 12 and 16 hours. Today it 12.

The ribs went on about 2.5 hours ago. Probably another 30 minutes to an hour of smoke then I'll wrap them up and cook another 2.5 to 3 hours. 6 Total.

The sausage will go in when I wrap the ribs.

About all I can tell you about the potato salad is she uses red potatoes and puts mustard in it. There are 2 bowls of it because one has onions one doesn't. There is also coleslaw. Once again one with onions one without. Also corn on the cob. We are going to try Sous-Vide for that this time, but it won't go on for a couple of hours.

The green beans. Made with potatoes and bacon.

And the cobblers. Karen uses the cuppa, cuppa, cuppa recipe. A cup of fruit, a cup of sugar, and a cup of flour.

My sister makes the baked beans...
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

aitm

You live too far away to be of use to me……

after 31 years I finally caved in to the wife and am simply doing burgers. Normally I violate all the laws of 4th cooking by doing lobsters or chick marsala or some other thing just to annoy her and her staunch racists "patriotic" family.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

I can't believe it.  4th of July tradition calls for hot dogs and hamburgers, anything else is unpatriotic, as the country shoots off billions of dollars of Chinese made fireworks to celebrate our independence from other countries and all this happens in a span of about 45 minutes, while Trump tries to desperately block trade with everyone else.  Damnitall!  I'm getting off this merry-go-round once and for all.  I'm going to Burger King, and then I'm going to watch a John Wayne movie.

Baruch

Haven't had a 4th of July cookout for almost 20 years ... but hope the rest of you enjoy yours.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

I had sausage, mash and beans.

I'm not american.

toodle pip me old chestnut.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mermaid

Daaaaaaaamn, that all looks so good!

I am making a marinated flank steak on the grill. Not sure what will go with it. Probably salad and maybe some beans.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on July 04, 2018, 02:46:54 PM
I had sausage, mash and beans.

I'm not american.

toodle pip me old chestnut.

I had oriental chicken salad at a restaurant.  One of the items I favorite there.  Diabetes makes me eat more greens.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Yum! Unfortunately, the family grill is down for the count, and we've been bumming off other people's 4th celebrations for a couple of years now, but due to the Great Vermont Heat Wave of '18, none of our friends is holding a big party we can bum off of.

Thanks, Trump.

Wait. That's not MAGA approved.

Thanks, Obama. Make America Grill Again!
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Munch

and what do we do, we drink:

RELEASE THE EXPLODING TEAPOTS!!

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Cavebear

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on July 04, 2018, 11:01:59 AM
Anyone else cooking out this year?

For the last decade or so we have had all the family in town over for a 4th of July cookout. This year is going to be a little different though. My dad just got home after a month in hospital. Karen's dad has Parkinson's, and he isn't getting around very well. So we decided not to have everyone over this year. We are still going to cookout. I've been smoking meat since 8 last night. 7 lbs of pork butt, 5 lbs of beef chuck, 6 racks of baby back ribs, and 3 lbs of sausage. There is also potato salad, baked beans, green beans, and blackberry cobbler.

But instead of having everyone over we are going to do delivery and take the food to everyone else.

Here are the beef and pork roasts. Not much to see because they got done earlier than planned. The pork usually takes between 12 and 16 hours. Today it 12.

The ribs went on about 2.5 hours ago. Probably another 30 minutes to an hour of smoke then I'll wrap them up and cook another 2.5 to 3 hours. 6 Total.

The sausage will go in when I wrap the ribs.

About all I can tell you about the potato salad is she uses red potatoes and puts mustard in it. There are 2 bowls of it because one has onions one doesn't. There is also coleslaw. Once again one with onions one without. Also corn on the cob. We are going to try Sous-Vide for that this time, but it won't go on for a couple of hours.

The green beans. Made with potatoes and bacon.

And the cobblers. Karen uses the cuppa, cuppa, cuppa recipe. A cup of fruit, a cup of sugar, and a cup of flour.

My sister makes the baked beans...

Love those flat italian beans!  I grow them myself.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Munch on July 04, 2018, 09:01:04 PM

and what do we do, we drink:

RELEASE THE EXPLODING TEAPOTS!!

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 03:33:20 AM
Loved the French and Indian War part.  Quite true.

I think Drumf stole the idea