News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The ONE THING?

Started by Mousetrap, July 04, 2018, 03:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mousetrap

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 06, 2018, 11:14:54 PM
Then chances are high that we've already seen it. You need something newer.
Now, If you have seen it, why say the Bible is not correct in relation to science?
Bias?
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 08, 2018, 10:31:26 AM
I have never told anyone to listen to my views and denied theirs.
What I learned on this forum is that it is Atheists that DONT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING ELSE BUT THEIR VIEWS.
Well, I would expect an atheist to listen to my view, and to accept or reject.
Now that is 'Open minded".
But the way I experience atheists is "I dont want to hear anything but what I believe".
not very intelligent indeed!
However, I was like that 10 years ago.
Perhaps it has to do with the will to know as much as possible, or to live in a cave because I am sure there are monsters out there.
As mentioned before, I don't 'believe' anything.  I deal with data and evidence.  Read my reposting about Richard Carrier's book about the historicity of jesus.

Seems to me that theists are the ones who like to live in a cave (womb) because they believe in monsters---believe in god or the boggie men will get you!!!  There are no monsters except for those of your own making.  Seems to me you have some growing up to do.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 08, 2018, 10:32:54 AM
Now, If you have seen it, why say the Bible is not correct in relation to science?
Bias?
Not bias, but facts.  Which seems to be something theists don't believe in.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 08, 2018, 10:44:16 AM
As mentioned before, I don't 'believe' anything.  I deal with data and evidence.  Read my reposting about Richard Carrier's book about the historicity of jesus.

Seems to me that theists are the ones who like to live in a cave (womb) because they believe in monsters---believe in god or the boggie men will get you!!!  There are no monsters except for those of your own making.  Seems to me you have some growing up to do.

That cave, is the cave Plato though he had escaped (Homer's cave, doh!).

Philosophy in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPtYZxgMkzg

Greatest Homer quote ... "what is mind? .. doesn't matter .. what is matter? .. never mind"
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 08, 2018, 10:44:16 AM
It's doubtful that he was listening to what you were saying.  He was probably thinking about how open minded he is, and how much more he knows than others.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on July 08, 2018, 11:40:47 AM
It's doubtful that he was listening to what you were saying.  He was probably thinking about how open minded he is, and how much more he knows than others.

Echo chambers are like that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 06, 2018, 05:10:37 AM
I disagree, no scientific fact hinges on Evolution.
This is only an opinion.
Viruses that turns resistant to certain environmental factors, has sweet nothing to do with evolution.
All that happened is that the Virus that had resistance survived, and those that did not died.
You still have the same virus.
to clain this as evidence of evolution is realy so far fetched, one can call that a religion worse than the accusation of the existence of father Christmas.
I...what?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on July 08, 2018, 11:40:47 AM
Probably right.  That seems to be the norm for most 'open minded' theists that come here.

sdelsolray

I disagree, no scientific fact hinges on Evolution.
This is correct.  The Biological Theory of Evolution "hinges" on a collection of facts.  That collection contains all relevant known empirical evidence.  The converse is not true.  The facts supporting a scientific theory are not dependent on the theory.

Perhaps you should study the scientific method, starting with a grade school level textbook.   

This is only an opinion.

What is "this"?.  Using nouns instead of pronouns makes for more effective communication.

Viruses that turns resistant to certain environmental factors, has sweet nothing to do with evolution.
Apparently, you are unfamiliar with the Biological Theory of Evolution.  Before proceeding, I can only suggest you research what it is and what it is not.  Otherwise, you run a strong risk of demonstrating willful ignorance, a common intellectual disorder infecting many theists.

All that happened is that the Virus that had resistance survived, and those that did not died.
You still have the same virus.

The depth of your curiosity is not surprising.  The actual empirical evidence demonstrates that the surviving viruses contain different DNA than the non-replicating viruses.  They are not the same virus.

See?  You have just been given information that may increase your understanding and knowledge.  Whether you absorb this information and consider it with intellectual honesty and the concomitant curiosity is solely up to you.

to clain this as evidence of evolution is realy so far fetched, one can call that a religion worse than the accusation of the existence of father Christmas.

I also suspect you are deficient in understanding evidence compilation and subsequent application of rational thinking.  Why am I not surprised?

sdelsolray

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 06, 2018, 09:13:57 AM
And again, if I read the arguments made by Atheists on why the Bible can not reconcile with science, I am also not very impressed with both the Atheists and Apologists.
But again, why the preconceived bias?
are you an open minded Atheist, or does it hurt to think that there might be some truth in the Bible you dont know about?

Projection with a side salad of a false dichotomy fallacy.

Simon Moon

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 04, 2018, 03:09:20 AM
I would like to know:
What was the ONE THING that made you decide that there is no God who created everything?
If it was a collection of issues that build up to your decision, don't give it all to me, tell me what was the last straw that broke the camels' back.

I never made the decision that there is no god or gods.

My position is, that theists' claims have not met their burden of proof for me to justify belief that there are gods.

My atheism is a provisional position, not a dogmatic one. I will continue to disbelieve the claim that a god or gods exists, until such time theists are able to support their claims.

What will convince me? Demonstrable and falsifiable evidence, reasoned argument and valid and sound logic. But instead, all we ever seem to get are quotes from ancient texts, personal experiences, fallacious arguments, etc.

And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

SoldierofFortune

I ask you theists, what made you believe that the god who created everything is your god?
Deism would be more logical if you want to believe in a god.

aitm

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 08, 2018, 10:31:26 AM
Well, I would expect an atheist to listen to my view, and to accept or reject.
Now that is 'Open minded".

This is simply due to your ignorance. You think you have something original to offer. You don't. Your blathering about is the same shit we have been hearing for years, in fact, it is the same blathering the scientific community has been hearing for two hundred years. You have NO new ideas, you have NO new insight, you have NO originality, YOU have NOTHING to offer but the same tiresome nonsense.

SO trying to play the ole, " you don't want to "listen to me"...is oh "boo the fuck hoo". We have heard this bullshit a thousand times and its like talking to retards.

Learn some real science, come up with something original or get the fuck out. Seriously, you're a babbling moron. As soon as you labeled evolution as   some type of "unprovable concept" you lost. Go back to Sunday School and spread your shit on the cookies you feed to two year olds. Really, just go, you can't win hear, you were never in the race..you were never even suited up for the run...hell you can't even get in the stadium.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Simon Moon

Quote from: aitm on July 08, 2018, 04:09:38 PM
This is simply due to your ignorance. You think you have something original to offer. You don't. Your blathering about is the same shit we have been hearing for years, in fact, it is the same blathering the scientific community has been hearing for two hundred years. You have NO new ideas, you have NO new insight, you have NO originality, YOU have NOTHING to offer but the same tiresome nonsense.

SO trying to play the ole, " you don't want to "listen to me"...is oh "boo the fuck hoo". We have heard this bullshit a thousand times and its like talking to retards.

Every theist that comes to an atheist forum believes they have the one magical argument, that we have never heard, and that will convince us.

As if we haven't critically evaluated every argument theists have come up with.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Unbeliever

Quote from: sdelsolray on July 08, 2018, 12:41:18 PM
Apparently, you are unfamiliar with the Biological Theory of Evolution.  Before proceeding, I can only suggest you research what it is and what it is not.  Otherwise, you run a strong risk of demonstrating willful ignorance, a common intellectual disorder infecting many theists.
I'm sure mousetrap will rush right over to Answers in Genesis to do some research...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman