News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The ONE THING?

Started by Mousetrap, July 04, 2018, 03:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: sdelsolray on July 08, 2018, 12:41:18 PM
See?  You have just been given information that may increase your understanding and knowledge.  Whether you absorb this information and consider it with intellectual honesty and the concomitant curiosity is solely up to you.
You can lead a theist to knowledge but you can't make him think.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 08, 2018, 10:32:54 AM
Now, If you have seen it, why say the Bible is not correct in relation to science?
Bias?
You don't get to call it "bias" just because I've seen a lot of theist arguments before and rejected them. You don't seem to be open to the possibility that, no matter how attractive or correct these arguments or beliefs of yours seem on the surface, that there might be some flaw in them that destroys their validity. That's not being open minded, dearheart.

Being open minded requires you to be open to the possibility that you are wrong. That realization in itself drives one to be reflective on one's own beliefs and drives them to examine why they hold those beliefs in the first place, and when that happens, investigation and curiosity take over and you find evidence and reasoning to place those beliefs on firmer ground, or find reason to drop them because they are ill-supported. I've been at this a while, so I've pretty much constructed a Fortress of Knowledge that has passed every test I could come up with to destroy it.

I have yet to find a non-skeptic who has ever seriously challenged that fortress because such people are in the habit of stopping at a very shallow level of reasoning. As such, none of their attacks have ever found purchase because my fortress is stronger than it appears, and I have already come up with answers to similar challenges. Also, their own world views are comparatively hastily erected and rickety; my own challenges to their ideas receive no satisfactory answer, because they don't know what a proper answer would look like. There have been serious challenges to my fortress, but not by non-skeptics. They're always from people who have spent at least as much time thinking deeply about their subject matter as I have.

I suggest you try to get into the habit of trying to prove yourself wrong, because that is the key to true open mindedness.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Cavebear

Religion is as attractive to me like head lice to a bald guy...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mousetrap

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 08, 2018, 06:52:44 PM
You don't get to call it "bias" just because I've seen a lot of theist arguments before and rejected them. You don't seem to be open to the possibility that, no matter how attractive or correct these arguments or beliefs of yours seem on the surface, that there might be some flaw in them that destroys their validity. That's not being open minded, dearheart.

Being open minded requires you to be open to the possibility that you are wrong. That realization in itself drives one to be reflective on one's own beliefs and drives them to examine why they hold those beliefs in the first place, and when that happens, investigation and curiosity take over and you find evidence and reasoning to place those beliefs on firmer ground, or find reason to drop them because they are ill-supported. I've been at this a while, so I've pretty much constructed a Fortress of Knowledge that has passed every test I could come up with to destroy it.

I have yet to find a non-skeptic who has ever seriously challenged that fortress because such people are in the habit of stopping at a very shallow level of reasoning. As such, none of their attacks have ever found purchase because my fortress is stronger than it appears, and I have already come up with answers to similar challenges. Also, their own world views are comparatively hastily erected and rickety; my own challenges to their ideas receive no satisfactory answer, because they don't know what a proper answer would look like. There have been serious challenges to my fortress, but not by non-skeptics. They're always from people who have spent at least as much time thinking deeply about their subject matter as I have.

I suggest you try to get into the habit of trying to prove yourself wrong, because that is the key to true open mindedness.
Well, I hope I will not disappoint.
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.

Mousetrap

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 08, 2018, 06:52:44 PM

For what it is worth,I tried to prove the Bible wrong, and for that reason found out that I was wrong.
The question is now...what If you find out you were wrong about the Biblical description of the origins of the universe?

And just to end this argument off, I, as an atheist, discovered the Bible was correct. And I was wrong.
So, does this count for your recipe of testing failure?
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 09, 2018, 07:02:42 AM
For what it is worth,I tried to prove the Bible wrong, and for that reason found out that I was wrong.
The question is now...what If you find out you were wrong about the Biblical description of the origins of the universe?

And just to end this argument off, I, as an atheist, discovered the Bible was correct. And I was wrong.

Well, first, if you consider the Christian bible is correct, you aren't an atheist.  You have the right to change your mind of course.  Just that you should have good reasons.

Second, so exactly what part of the bible changed your mind?  Hypothetically, it must have been impressive.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 07:24:06 AM
Second, so exactly what part of the bible changed your mind?  Hypothetically, it must have been impressive.
I don't think he's going to get to that until he's done talking about how he's going to tell us about his experience at some unspecified time in the future.  It could be a month at the rate he's going, and I actually think he has no intention of telling us anything.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on July 09, 2018, 08:10:17 AM
I don't think he's going to get to that until he's done talking about how he's going to tell us about his experience at some unspecified time in the future.  It could be a month at the rate he's going, and I actually think he has no intention of telling us anything.

The question was to point out that he can't.  Like a theist even COULD.  LOL!

Hakurei Reimu

It would be interesting, and actually pretty exciting. But I doubt it. A lot of people a lot smarter and more informed than the both of us have been through the Bible with a fine-toothed comb, and there is no scientific insight in the Bible that is both true and non-obvious.

Sorta-kinda, but I think you are not really doing what you should be doing. The phrase, "discovered the Bible was correct," is indicative of very non-skeptical thinking. Note my language, "placing those beliefs on firmer ground." This is not saying that I discovered that they were correct, because that is epistomologically impossible. Such "discovery" also seems rather all-in-one-incident, rather than a continuous refinement. My fortress is so secure because it is the work of four decades of thought and challenge. Thinking that some idea is "correct" is a trap for the unwery and unskeptical.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

aitm

Of course you did, we are very familiar with your kind. When you pass the third grade, come back and try again.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 08, 2018, 10:32:54 AM
Now, If you have seen it, why say the Bible is not correct in relation to science?
Bias?
Well...if he's seen it and he's an atheist now, then we can deduce that...

Hydra009

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 08, 2018, 10:31:26 AMWhat I learned on this forum is that it is Atheists that DONT WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING ELSE BUT THEIR VIEWS.
Or...and bear with me here, they're just sick of getting godspammed by every two-bit evangelical on the planet.

Atheon

What convinced me? Well, I never had a god belief. But when I was a kid, I saw my grandparents praying to someone who wasn't there, who they called "god". I thought it was absurd.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

Quote from: Atheon on July 09, 2018, 10:30:22 PM
What convinced me? Well, I never had a god belief. But when I was a kid, I saw my grandparents praying to someone who wasn't there, who they called "god". I thought it was absurd.
But surely it requires more faith to believe that they're talking to someone who wasn't there than that they're talking to the triune godhead that breathed the universe?

Blackleaf

You have until your next reply to tell us exactly what proof you found in favor of the Bible before I put you on ignore. I'm sure it'll just knock our collective socks off and convert us all immediately.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--