News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hi everyone here from SA.

Started by Mousetrap, July 04, 2018, 02:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 04:02:33 AM
We agree on that.  But a lot of damn fools don't.  They take the bible or other religious texts literally.  And THAT is where the problem is.

All problems are people problems.

All people problems are psych problems.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Thomas PaineThe Bible has been received by the Protestants on the authority of the Church of Rome, and on no other authority. It is She that has said it is the word of God.

The RCC created the New Testament. And then made the reading of it by anyone other then their ordained priests punishable by death. Those who finally translated it into vernacular languages so anyone could read it were burned alive at the stake. When people finally rebelled against the RCC should have rebelled against their propaganda, too.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 09, 2018, 02:01:51 PM
The RCC created the New Testament. And then made the reading of it by anyone other then their ordained priests punishable by death. Those who finally translated it into vernacular languages so anyone could read it were burned alive at the stake. When people finally rebelled against the RCC should have rebelled against their propaganda, too.

I dislike admiring anyone promoting religion, but I do respect John Wycliff for at least putting an English language-appropriate text into print.  It supported religion, but also allowed thinking people to ask questions about it.

Well, you have to start somewhere...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 02:12:52 PM
I dislike admiring anyone promoting religion, but I do respect John Wycliff for at least putting an English language-appropriate text into print.  It supported religion, but also allowed thinking people to ask questions about it.

Well, you have to start somewhere...

Wycliffe's edition was Middle English.  Tyndale's was the first in modern English ... and he was executed for it too.  Wycliffe inspired not only the English Reformation (but not the kind King Henry VIII liked), but also Jan Hus in Bohemia, and their first successful Protestant Reformation.  Martin Luther was a johnny-come-lately.  Much of Tyndale's version was reused in the King James version.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Textus Receptus--
The series originated with the first printed Greek New Testament, published in 1516â€"a work undertaken in Basel by the Dutch Catholic scholar, priest and humanist Desiderius Erasmus. This edition of the New Testament represents the tradition of manuscripts of the New Testament as the one that the Orthodox Church has received and used without interruption since the 4th century.[1] They are also the text type used in most Protestant denominations consistently throughout history before the 19th century adoption of the Alexandrian priority position within mainstream Biblical scholarship.

Manuscripts of the Byzantine family represent the vast majority of the 5700 manuscripts that have currently been found and collated; no two of its manuscripts are identical.

That tells the story.  No clue as to what the 'original' bible said. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mousetrap

Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 04:02:33 AM
We agree on that.  But a lot of damn fools don't.  They take the bible or other religious texts literally.  And THAT is where the problem is.
Or perhaps they live on preconceived ideas on what the Bible says.
Let me also inform you about my perception of Atheism.
I am 100% sure and convinced that Atheism is a religion!
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 10, 2018, 10:30:33 AM

I am sure you are.  Since you have your knowledge given to you by your god, all you have to do is label it and it is so.  There actually is no such thing as Atheism.  But you have labeled it as such and therefore it is so.  Since you believe in a fictional character I am not surprised by your labeling.  If it makes your world from deep inside your cave seem less threatening, go ahead a label.  Your fiction matters little to me.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Right. And I'm 100% sure you have your head up your ass. Atheism is to religion what not collecting stamps is to hobbies.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 10, 2018, 12:04:54 PM
Right. And I'm 100% sure you have your head up your ass. Atheism is to religion what not collecting stamps is to hobbies.

But atheists do have other hobbies ... only nihilists have none.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 10, 2018, 09:09:44 AM
Textus Receptus--
The series originated with the first printed Greek New Testament, published in 1516â€"a work undertaken in Basel by the Dutch Catholic scholar, priest and humanist Desiderius Erasmus. This edition of the New Testament represents the tradition of manuscripts of the New Testament as the one that the Orthodox Church has received and used without interruption since the 4th century.[1] They are also the text type used in most Protestant denominations consistently throughout history before the 19th century adoption of the Alexandrian priority position within mainstream Biblical scholarship.

Manuscripts of the Byzantine family represent the vast majority of the 5700 manuscripts that have currently been found and collated; no two of its manuscripts are identical.

That tells the story.  No clue as to what the 'original' bible said.

Details aren't that important.  Scripture isn't that important.  You must do what the Byzantine Emperor demands, directly thru his officers or thru the Byzantine church priesthood.  Protestant and even more so Free Church POV is very narrow.  The first Byzantine emperor was Constantine.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

And we're supposed to care - why?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

sasuke

Your perception is flawed because it contradicts with the dictionary, just like your bible contradicts with reason. At least you are consistent.

Mousetrap

Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 11, 2018, 09:03:15 AM
So, dont you believe in atheism?
Sarcasm isn't your strong point, isn't it?

"Atheism" is the name we put on people who lack a particular belief. You believe that it is a religion because you think there is some sort of creed behind it.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Mousetrap

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 11, 2018, 09:17:37 AM
Sarcasm isn't your strong point, isn't it?

"Atheism" is the name we put on people who lack a particular belief. You believe that it is a religion because you think there is some sort of creed behind it.
OK So you dont believe in it?