Article about art, written by yours truly

Started by PickelledEggs, July 02, 2018, 06:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

https://medium.com/@stephen.yavorski/yeah-you-suck-at-painting-cefd7236feb1

Quote from: Segment from articleYes, you suck at painting right now. You just started and your intimidated by your teachers’ and/or peer’s skills. Or maybe you’ve been doing this for a while and you just feel like you’re inferior to your fellow artists around you. Sometimes, you even feel like you struggle with rendering the most simple of form.
You look at your fellow contemporaries and say to yourself “Fuck. How am I supposed to do something as good as THAT???” And you discourage yourself and retreat.

Read through and tell me what you think :)

Cavebear

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 02, 2018, 06:31:17 PM
https://medium.com/@stephen.yavorski/yeah-you-suck-at-painting-cefd7236feb1

Read through and tell me what you think :)

Well, it IS true that not all people who WANT to be artists are actually any good at it.  And art is very subjective.  I think you have to convince people that what you think is art actually "means" something. 

And just as a side comment.  My office building managers had a habit of displaying "art" on walls around the building, with simple labels mentioning the artist and title and date.  And one day, some repair guys put up a 2'x3' piece of plywood to cover a hole in the wall and painted it the same color as the wall.  I looked it it a few days and created a label of my own matching the style of the art program. 

"Painting by Marc Rambuct (France, 1985).  An example of the "Realism Movement" demonstrating the falsity of "photopainting" such as that done by Francois Theodore (1915-1968) .

My label stayed up for a year until someone figured out it was sarcasm, and removed it.

I used to crack up when people waiting for the elevator considered it seriously.

But wasn't that "art"?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 04, 2018, 02:04:00 AM
Well, it IS true that not all people who WANT to be artists are actually any good at it.  And art is very subjective.  I think you have to convince people that what you think is art actually "means" something. 

And just as a side comment.  My office building managers had a habit of displaying "art" on walls around the building, with simple labels mentioning the artist and title and date.  And one day, some repair guys put up a 2'x3' piece of plywood to cover a hole in the wall and painted it the same color as the wall.  I looked it it a few days and created a label of my own matching the style of the art program. 

"Painting by Marc Rambuct (France, 1985).  An example of the "Realism Movement" demonstrating the falsity of "photopainting" such as that done by Francois Theodore (1915-1968) .

My label stayed up for a year until someone figured out it was sarcasm, and removed it.

I used to crack up when people waiting for the elevator considered it seriously.

But wasn't that "art"?

Very Snide, Mr Whiplash!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Cavebear on July 04, 2018, 02:04:00 AM

But wasn't that "art"?
Not sure what that has to do with the topic and message of my article, but I appreciate your addendum

Cavebear

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 04, 2018, 11:14:48 AM
Not sure what that has to do with the topic and message of my article, but I appreciate your addendum

My point was that there are people who pretend to understand art, people who produce art and think the world should not understand their art, and people who think the modern art world is a joke.  I stopped worrying about "art" the day I saw a painting that looked like a piece of plywood.

Sorry...

PickelledEggs

The point of the article is to explain to people that are starting out that even though they think they suck, everyone starts out sucking and it's not a big deal. It wasn't about understanding art
Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 03:47:54 AM
My point was that there are people who pretend to understand art, people who produce art and think the world should not understand their art, and people who think the modern art world is a joke.  I stopped worrying about "art" the day I saw a painting that looked like a piece of plywood.

Sorry...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Cavebear

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 09, 2018, 10:50:08 AM
The point of the article is to explain to people that are starting out that even though they think they suck, everyone starts out sucking and it's not a big deal. It wasn't about understanding art
Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

GROK!

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 09, 2018, 02:16:16 PM
He said, snidely...

"Lettuce be off", Tom said crisply...

"I'll take the prisoner downstairs", said Tom, condescendingly...

Think about that one folks...

LOL!