United States Ranked 10th Worse Nation For Women

Started by Shiranu, June 29, 2018, 07:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Everyone here loves their confirmation bias ... including me.  Poll or expert ... if other people agree with me, they are right, because I am Wile E Coyote, Genius!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: Cavebear on July 04, 2018, 01:29:15 AM
Did I misunderstand your post?
Are you disagreeing with my objections to this particular poll? If so, I'd like to know.

Bad data is bad, even (and especially) when it agrees with your opinions. That's the essence of skepticism. I don't care if this poll agrees with general professional polls (though I want to examine their methodology, too), it's still a badly-conducted poll and a bad data point to be expunged. The conclusion of the Thomson Reuter Foundation poll is shocking in its conclusion (Dat USA), but given what I know about how it was conducted, that's all it is.

And it's a poll. It tells you much more about the attitudes of the people you're asking than it does about the real world. A study using data like mortality figures, crime statistics, and the like, is much preferred because even with all the trouble in interpreting that brings, it's about the real world we live in rather than a bunch of second-hand accounts, made third-hand by mushing them together with mathematical voodoo.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Mermaid

I think it's good to question research methods, Hakurei. I wish more people questioned sources like this and made educated, informed conclusions.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on July 04, 2018, 10:03:58 AM
I think it's good to question research methods, Hakurei. I wish more people questioned sources like this and made educated, informed conclusions.

It may be a fact that a lot of people are unhappy, even if the methodology isn't "scientific".  That is a politically important thing.  Perception is everything in politics, just ask Marie Antoinette.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on July 04, 2018, 09:30:55 AM
Are you disagreeing with my objections to this particular poll? If so, I'd like to know.

Bad data is bad, even (and especially) when it agrees with your opinions. That's the essence of skepticism. I don't care if this poll agrees with general professional polls (though I want to examine their methodology, too), it's still a badly-conducted poll and a bad data point to be expunged. The conclusion of the Thomson Reuter Foundation poll is shocking in its conclusion (Dat USA), but given what I know about how it was conducted, that's all it is.

And it's a poll. It tells you much more about the attitudes of the people you're asking than it does about the real world. A study using data like mortality figures, crime statistics, and the like, is much preferred because even with all the trouble in interpreting that brings, it's about the real world we live in rather than a bunch of second-hand accounts, made third-hand by mushing them together with mathematical voodoo.

Polls are tricky.  Opt-in polls collect more opinions from viewers of a site than the general public and cannot be trusted.  Some specific polls are geared to generate specific results and ask questions designed to get specific answers.

I took a few classes in college about surveys and polls and learned I could get almost any results I wanted.  And I was good at it.  But I didn't pursue that career because I didn't trust it except in some few very professional ones.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Draconic Aiur

Okay what you do is go online,
Go to Amazon.
Type in "how to Lie with Statistics"
Buy that shit.
Wait for it...
Fucking Read it.

Shiranu

I fucked up in not clarifying that I find many of the methodology of this report questionable. I do, I even thought about that when I posted this and didn't say anything, so yeah... that's on me. I fucked up.

The fact remains however that both in this polls opinion, and in much of the civilized world's opinion, we seem to lagging behind every other developed nation in how women are treated and how we are perceived in treating our women. That is the reality of our situation, be it a fully accurate opinion or not.

The (second) most powerful nation in the world, the leader of the free world, the "shining city upon a hill", should never be uttered in the same breath as places like Pakistan or Saudi Arabia. We should be putting European nations to shame, not viewed in the same light as third world countries and fundamentalist states.

We are the most prestigious nation in the world and yet the rest of the world looks at us and laughs. We are a joke at best, and a disgrace to Western culture and democracy at worse.

So Munch, if you want as bluntly-as-possible reason as to why I find issue with my country, why I focus on our flaws, it's because I take pride in what we use to symbolise and I am fucking disgusted with what we now present to the world. I am critical of America because I adore what it is suppose to stand for but despise that what it practices is anything but just.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on July 09, 2018, 03:08:53 AM
I fucked up in not clarifying that I find many of the methodology of this report questionable. I do, I even thought about that when I posted this and didn't say anything, so yeah... that's on me. I fucked up.

The fact remains however that both in this polls opinion, and in much of the civilized world's opinion, we seem to lagging behind every other developed nation in how women are treated and how we are perceived in treating our women. That is the reality of our situation, be it a fully accurate opinion or not.

The (second) most powerful nation in the world, the leader of the free world, the "shining city upon a hill", should never be uttered in the same breath as places like Pakistan or Saudi Arabia. We should be putting European nations to shame, not viewed in the same light as third world countries and fundamentalist states.

We are the most prestigious nation in the world and yet the rest of the world looks at us and laughs. We are a joke at best, and a disgrace to Western culture and democracy at worse.

So Munch, if you want as bluntly-as-possible reason as to why I find issue with my country, why I focus on our flaws, it's because I take pride in what we use to symbolise and I am fucking disgusted with what we now present to the world. I am critical of America because I adore what it is suppose to stand for but despise that what it practices is anything but just.

I don't need a poll to agree with you in general.  Women are not treated equally.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 03:12:46 AM
I don't need a poll to agree with you in general.  Women are not treated equally.

Men aren't treated equally.  How much do you pay your Mexican yard man?  Nobody is equal, burn the Declaration, it is over!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on July 04, 2018, 01:13:20 AM
My best dream lately is that Trump dies of a heart attack...

I'd rather he be eaten alive by an anaconda.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 09, 2018, 01:36:55 PM

Don't like snake hugs?  Speciesist?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 09, 2018, 01:36:55 PM

Well, as long as the eventual outcome is the same...  I'm not particularly fussy about the method. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 02:50:15 PM
Well, as long as the eventual outcome is the same...  I'm not particularly fussy about the method.

You would give the poor snake, a bad case of hair ball ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin